U.S. Supreme Court Strikes Down DOMA

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Philondra
Legendary
U.S. Supreme Court Strikes Down DOMA

Post by Philondra » 27 Jun 2013, 11:03

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/06/w ... html?hp=l1

In a ruling that kinda affects me a lot, the U.S. Supreme Court struck down the Defense of Marriage Act in a 5-4 decision. The scope of the ruling is such that it does not mandate same sex marriage nation-wide, but instead says that the federal government must give all same-sex couples federal benefits if they are married in a state that allows same sex marriage. I am from Connecticut, one of the first states to legalize same sex marriage.

This is really important to me, because it was previously impossible for me to sponsor my partner for a green card. This was the main reason why we haven't gotten married before, even though we had the opportunity to. So now we have some thinking and decision making to do.
It also opens the door for me to potentially return to the US someday, something that was completely off the table until today.

midi
Legendary

Re: U.S. Supreme Court Strikes Down DOMA

Post by midi » 27 Jun 2013, 14:49

I really hope they don't do anything to mess this up. Both for you and others. I saw this morning and thought about ya :)
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ soak rifts or riot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 28 Jun 2013, 23:39

HOORJ!

This kind of progress is inevitable, but it's nice to see (at least this reform) come sooner rather than later.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

dukkha
Epic

Post by dukkha » 29 Jun 2013, 12:23

Aye, I was a little disappointed (though not surprised) about the limited Prop 8 ruling, but striking down DOMA was an awesome step forward, particularly given the basis of non-discrimination in the decision is going to make it a lot easier for others to challenge similar state-based crap. Very glad that it expands your options Phil. Even if you don't make use of it, it must be nice to know that you actually have the choice.

Kalifa
Epic

Post by Kalifa » 03 Oct 2013, 10:38

Wait our gov't did something good?

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 10 Oct 2013, 18:27

Kalifa wrote:Wait our gov't did something?
FTFY
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!