Upgrade complete (retsis-fretsis) - Tues 15/04/08

What sort of sandwiches do you have?
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Upgrade complete (retsis-fretsis) - Tues 15/04/08

Post by Cartollomew » 14 Apr 2008, 15:08

The server, its website and these forums will be down on Tuesday the 15th April from 11am AT server time, for a major upgrade to its operating system.

They should come back up within a few hours; however they may be down until late evening AT server time.

If things go terribly wrong, they won't come up for a day or two (I'll sort out a backup server if this happens).

Just sayin' is all.
Last edited by Cartollomew on 16 Apr 2008, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 15 Apr 2008, 13:03

*queue waiting music*

Things that vaguely unsettle me, but usually turn out okay:

(Bear in mind the following: aptitude is the package manager. Basically, aptitude is what handles downloading and installing software. SSH is a service that allows users to remotely log into the server)

1) Running the command: #aptitude install aptitude

So that's telling aptitude to install itself. Does that not bug anyone else?
I know it works fine, and I know why it works fine, but it feels weird to type it.

2) While logged in via SSH, the SSH service is updated and then restarted. While you watch. In SSH.

3) The server reboots, while doing a remote upgrade.
This is just plain scary. I sit there for 3 minutes waiting for the thing to come back up, and praying that there isn't a little prompt 2 seconds after it reboots saying "Press any key to continue".
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

bakazero
Epic

Post by bakazero » 15 Apr 2008, 21:12

from what i can remember apt is just a front end for like dpkg?

or is it a front end for apt-get and shiz and that is a frontend for dpkg?

i aint used deb in ages..

anyway yah it would just check version numbers, leech a tarball and compile/unpack?

its like wow updating itself :P in a way
ADDICTED TO CHAIN LIGHTNING SINCE 2014

Katryna
Epic

Post by Katryna » 15 Apr 2008, 21:19

bakazero wrote:from what i can remember apt is just a front end for like dpkg?

anyway yah it would just check version numbers, leech a tarball and compile/unpack?

aptitude is a front end for apt.. also generally it doesn't use source unless you specifically ask it to do so.

Runetender
Legendary

Post by Runetender » 15 Apr 2008, 21:21

4) Image

..it usually turns out to be okay

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 16 Apr 2008, 02:20

Well, that took much longer than it was supposed to, what with hardware completely breaking halway through a remote upgrade and then aptitude deciding that after all, even though php5 has been installed, there's no need to update the extension from php4 to php5.

/sigh

All working now, hopefully no more nasty downtime until the next time I decide to break something.

bakazero
Epic

Post by bakazero » 16 Apr 2008, 02:21

Katryna wrote:
bakazero wrote:from what i can remember apt is just a front end for like dpkg?

aptitude is a front end for apt.. also generally it doesn't use source unless you specifically ask it to do so.
yah i was being lazy i mean
leech a tarball and compile and/or unpack

ports is teh sex imo ><
ADDICTED TO CHAIN LIGHTNING SINCE 2014

derelictfrog
Rare

Post by derelictfrog » 16 Apr 2008, 02:41

ImageImageImageImageImage

Wooo forums back up!

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 16 Apr 2008, 10:56

Yeah, I gotta say this.

a BIG thankyou to Cart for running the forums and website for us. I dunno if anyone ever thanks you enough for your time, patience and drunken "kick the power cord from the socket again" incidents.

Thanks Cart.

Runetender
Legendary

Post by Runetender » 16 Apr 2008, 11:02

OMFG, HE HAS CHANGED THE AVATAR!!!!

HALEELUYAH

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 16 Apr 2008, 11:30

Alleycat wrote:Yeah, I gotta say this.

a BIG thankyou to Cart for running the forums and website for us. I dunno if anyone ever thanks you enough for your time, patience and drunken "kick the power cord from the socket again" incidents.

Thanks Cart.
Cheers, Alley :-)
But to be honest I like doing this - if I didn't have to run these forums, I'd still have this server running... it just wouldn't do much.

Wiki incoming btw...

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 16 Apr 2008, 11:55

back 7 years in time
omg...not again... NOT AGAIN!!

PS: lawl shift keys r hard :(

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 16 Apr 2008, 12:01

Cartollomew wrote:
midi wrote:Wiki?

molotov.homeunix.net/wiki/Ratholorn

Redirecting to molotov.homeunix.net/wiki/Enrage_Timer

???
That, almost exactly word for word, is what I had in mind :-P

Also: I'm about to mess with the clock, hopefully sorting out an incremental time update to fix the 1-2 hour a year time lapse my server has.

Bear in mind last time I did something like this I sent the server back 7 years in time. Which naturally upset the forums.

Don't worry though - I'm sure Vella will send me an SMS about it, fully 5 seconds after I hit "enter" on whatever ill-conceived change I decide to commit.
Ah ha! so thats why my post randomly appeared BEFORE plastiques in the frostmourne drama thread!

edit: Err ..... what? My guess is that the forums are ordering posts based on the time zone of the user rather than the time zone of the forums? Or did I just catch it at a bad time?

Anyway, much love for cart and the server! We promise never to gas you like Blizzard did with the Aman'fail hamster!

midi
Legendary

Post by midi » 16 Apr 2008, 12:19

Wiki?

???
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ soak rifts or riot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 16 Apr 2008, 12:30

midi wrote:Wiki?

???
That, almost exactly word for word, is what I had in mind :-P

Also: I'm about to mess with the clock, hopefully sorting out an incremental time update to fix the 1-2 hour a year time lapse my server has.

Bear in mind last time I did something like this I sent the server back 7 years in time. Which naturally upset the forums.

Don't worry though - I'm sure Vella will send me an SMS about it, fully 5 seconds after I hit "enter" on whatever ill-conceived change I decide to commit.