Random News

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 08 Apr 2008, 16:27

Apparently being accidentally being told that your son has died for 10 seconds is "absolute hell" and deserves compensation... Sure it's terrible... for 10 seconds ~_~.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23 ... 01,00.html

And as a reply to that...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t5-ZLQGwkvU

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 08 Apr 2008, 16:42

The simple solution here would have been to actually kill one of his children.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Bitte
Rare

Post by Bitte » 08 Apr 2008, 17:50

Rolling restarts tonight, http://launcher.worldofwarcraft.com/alert
SERVERALERT:
April 7th, 2008 8:30pm PDT

We will be performing a series of rolling restarts on all realms for our scheduled weekly maintenance on Tuesday, April 8th. The restarts will begin at 5:00am PDT, and each realm will be down for approximately 15 minutes.

Thank you,

Blizzard Entertainment

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 08 Apr 2008, 17:59

Bitte wrote:Rolling restarts tonight, http://launcher.worldofwarcraft.com/alert
SERVERALERT:
April 7th, 2008 8:30pm PDT

We will be performing a series of rolling restarts on all realms for our scheduled weekly maintenance on Tuesday, April 8th. The restarts will begin at 5:00am PDT, and each realm will be down for approximately 15 minutes.

Thank you,

Blizzard Entertainment
Is this good news or not? I can't tell. Given our luck the "rolling restart" will be more like a morbidly obese man "rolling" out of bed -- i.e. it'll take a couple hours ><

Kalifa
Epic

Post by Kalifa » 08 Apr 2008, 20:25

My sister sent me this, thought it was pretty funny.

~~~~~~~

For anyone who didn't see David Letterman's take on this: (And it's a true
story...) On a recent weekend in Atlantic City , a woman won a bucketful of
quarters at a slot machine. She took a break from the slots for dinner with
her husband in the hotel dining room. But first she wanted to stash the
quarters in her room. 'I'll be right back and we'll go to eat,' she told
her husband and carried the coin-laden bucket to the elevator.

As she was about to walk into the elevator she noticed two men already
aboard. Both were black. One of them was tall...very tall...an
intimidating figure. The woman froze. Her first thought was: 'These two are
going to rob me.' Her next thought was: 'Don't be a bigot; they look like
perfectly nice gentlemen.' But racial stereotypes are powerful, and fear
immobilized her. She stood and stared at the two men. She felt anxious,
flustered and ashamed. She hoped they didn't read her mind but gosh, they
had to know what she was thinking!!!

Her hesitation about joining them in the elevator was all too obvious now.
Her face was flushed. She couldn't just stand there, so with a mighty
effort of will she picked up one foot and stepped forward and followed with
the other foot and was on the elevator. Avoiding eye contact, she turned
around stiffly and faced the elevator doors as they closed. A second passed,
and then another second, and then another. Her fear increased! The elevator
didn't move. Panic consumed her. 'My God,' she thought, I'm
trapped and about to be robbed! 'Her heart plummeted. Perspiration poured
from every pore.

Then one of the men said, 'Hit the floor.' Instinct told her to do what they
told her. The bucket of quarters flew upwards as she threw out her arms and
collapsed on the elevator floor. A shower of coins rained down on her. Take
my money and spare me, she prayed. More seconds passed. She heard one of the
men say politely, 'Ma'am, if you'll just tell us what
floor you're going to, we'll push the button.' The one who said it had a
little trouble getting the words out. He was trying mightily to hold in a
belly laugh. The woman lifted her head and looked up at the two men. They
reached down to help her up. Confused, she struggled to her feet. 'When I
told my friend here to hit the floor,' said the average sized one, 'I meant
that he should hit the elevator button for our floor. I didn't mean for you
to hit the floor, ma'am.' He spoke genially. He bit his lip. It was
obvious he was having a hard time not laughing. The woman thought: 'My God,
what a spectacle I've made of myself.' She was too humiliated to speak. She
wanted to blurt out an apology, but words failed her. How do you apologize
to two perfectly respectable gentlemen for behaving as though they were
going to rob you? She didn't know what to say. The three of them gathered up
the strewn quarters and refilled her bucket. When the elevator arrived at
her floor they then insisted on walking her to her room. She seemed a little
unsteady on her feet, and they were afraid she might not make it down the
corridor. At her door they bid her a good evening. As she slipped into her
room she could hear them roaring with laughter as they walked back to the
elevator. The woman brushed herself off. She pulled herself together and
went downstairs for dinner with her husband.

The next morning flowers were delivered to her room - a dozen roses.
Attached to EACH rose was a crisp one hundred dollar bill.

The card said: 'Thanks for the best laugh we've had in years.'

It was signed;*
**Eddie Murphy
Michael Jordan*

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 08 Apr 2008, 21:34

Aye, it's a funny enough story, but you should usually replace the "true story" tag with "not a true story at all" tag for these things (or just leave it as "a story")
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 09 Apr 2008, 12:50

http://www.microsoft.com/australia/vistafacts/fact.aspx

Yay!

If you can be bothered installing Silverlight (Which is oh-so-cross-platform-and-browser-compatible-I'm-sure and makes available opportunities to greatly piss me off in ways that Flash can only imagine) you can take this Windows Advisor "test".

I use the quotation marks of doom, because I'd already have graduated with automagical honours if my degree used testing rules like this one.

Sample question:

"Windows Vista r gud."
TRUE/FALSE

(user clicks false)

"Are you sure?"

(user clicks yes)

"Um. How about you go back and read the question again? And this time pick like, a different answer."

EVERYONE'S A WINNER! 100%!

I suspect this has two purposes:
A) OEM resellers now have plausible deniability when selling a shit product that people don't need to the people who don't need it.
B) Sneak attack install Silverlight omgwtfbbq!

On the plus side, one of the guys I work with got a T-shirt and a very sparkly and official looking certificate for "passing" the test.

I'm thinking of pirating the certificate.

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 11 Apr 2008, 12:18

Since it is being spammed all over the forums, I thought I would put it here.
i at last was able to get my flying skill, i got it on a monday used it til the server went down for updates on tuesday morning, when i got back on the skill wasnt there, but i still have my epic flying mount ? but can no longer use it, i talked to gms they said they cant find my history, so they dont know why i have the epic mount but no skill, all they said is i have to buy the skill again, i talked to many gms every day for a month, then after that the gms said i waited too long , what else can i do? i talked to gms i sent emails to Blizz at this point im getting to i dont even fell like playing anymore and thinking of quiting my 3 accounts and cancelling them, the lack of help is very frustrating, one of the GMs said that it sucks to be me! what else can i do, blizz is ignore n me and will not help me so im posting this maybe someone in blizz will do something to help for those that quest i still have the mount and talk to a gm(after waiting for 2 hours) right as soon as i saw the skill missing and yes the found the partrial bit where 3000 gold was sent to me from friends and guild members that i borrowed (and payed back now) but they could not verify (See where) the gold was spent, even though i still hav the epic mount and bound to me
Apologies for the block of text, but that's what it is.

GM reply
Alright, Kiranth, sorry for the delay I had a lot of information to look through. Seeing as how this took place about two months ago, the logs were a little harder to look up. Let me go though, step by step, and detail the turn of events as I see them:

You first petition in on Saturday, 02/16/2008 at approximately 02:09:10(GMT) asking that we look into your missing flight skill that you claim to have purchased five days prior. In that petition you declare that you purchased the epic riding skill on Sunday with the money you had been saving up for two months and were playing “till the servers went down for maintenance on Monday morning.”

According to my records you were offline when the Game Master attempted to contact you. So as you said, they sent you an e-mail.

I see that you re-petition in that same day, almost nine hours later at 11:10:44(GMT). Here you mention that you are missing the riding skill that you just leaned on Monday, and that you played all night until you were kicked off Tuesday morning.

Again, I see that you were not online when the Game Master received your petition, so they send you a second e-mail stating that they were unable to verify the loss of the gold on this skill.

The very next day 02/17/2008 you petition in twice more; once at 03:33:01(GMT), which (as you have even stated here in this post) mentioning that you borrowed most of the gold to be able to purchase this skill. Unfortunately this was also received while you were offline; e-mail sent asking you for more information on the issue – specifically a timeframe of when this happened. The second being, at 15:39:25, where you actually got to speak to a Game Master, who informs you that they are unable to verify that you ever purchased this skill.

After that I see no contact being made with anyone from our In-Game Customer Support Department until 03/06/2008 at 20:04:07(GMT). At this point it has already been over three and a half weeks since you said you have purchased the epic flying riding skill. Again you get in contact with a Game Master while online, and they inform you that they are unable to verify you purchasing the skill and apologize, letting you know that they are not going to be able to reimburse you for the skill.

Since then I see no further contact with us until this post, which ambiguously mentions that on “a Monday” you got the skill and no longer have it, and would like it to be looked into.

I understand that you were unable to petition in via the in-game client, whether it was because your account’s billing cycle had lapsed, as you say in your third petition – due to the fact that you were away on a trip, as you claim in your fifth petition – or because you had to get a new computer (including a “fairly good graphics card” and double the ram of your old computer) as you told your guildmates – however in the future, I would recommend that you take the time to send an e-mail into WoWGM@Blizzard.com if you ever experience an issue that is fairly important to you. This way we can look into it as soon as it takes place.

I have a feeling, however, that in this specific case would not have done much good, if any at all. The reason I say this is because upon doing a few searches of my own, I see that at 2/11/08 at approximately 20:48:45(GMT) you zone into the Outlands with 149 gold 98 silver and 42 copper. I see that at 21:38:05(GMT) you purchase your Red Riding Nether Ray (which at Exalted with Sha'tari Skyguard costs 160 gold). Following that, you log out with about 14g99s42c, congratulations on your Primal Waters selling. :0)

A search within a few days of this purchase shows that at no time did you have the 5000(ish) gold that is required for purchasing the riding skill itself.

I also find it a bit confusing when you mention on 03/01/2008 between 20:12:20 and 20:12:51 that you, “cant wait for the faster mount” because you “just need the skill [cause you] already have Red Riding Nether Ray”

I hope this clears up any confusion or frustration you may have about this situation, the only thing I have left is that I would like to take this time to remind you of our stance on Defrauding or Attempting to Defraud a GM, Kiranth. Whenever possible, we try to give players the benefit of the doubt in questionable situations. We honestly hope players do not attempt to take advantage of this trust, and provide their full cooperation. However, if we later find that an attempt was made to defraud a GM, the offending player may have action taken against them. Attempts to defraud a GM include, but are not limited to, misdirecting a GM's attention, withholding information, providing false information, and any attempt to "trick" a GM.
Owned in every possible way.

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 11 Apr 2008, 12:29

Jesus H Christ.

That GM gets a rank in ownage as OVER 9000/10!!

derelictfrog
Rare

Post by derelictfrog » 12 Apr 2008, 05:55

:0 that is nice haha.

Runetender
Legendary

Post by Runetender » 12 Apr 2008, 15:44

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 13 Apr 2008, 01:48

Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 12 May 2008, 03:08

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 14 May 2008, 09:48

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23 ... 09,00.html

Darth Vadar attacks Jedi

A RUBBISH bag-clad Darth Vader has escaped a jail term for bashing a group of Welsh "Jedi Knights".

Arwel Wynne Hughes, 27, donned a cape made from a black rubbish bag and bashed Jedi church founder Barney Jones - aka Master Jonba Hehol - with a metal crutch, prosecutors told Holyhead Magistrates Court .

He also hit Mr Jones's 18-year-old cousin, Michael Jones - Master Mormi Hehol - in the March 25 incident, the Associated Press reported.

The two cousins and Barney Jones's brother Daniel set up the Church of Jediism, Anglesey order, last year.

Jedi is the faith followed by some of the central characters in the Star Wars films, with its members said to be endowed with special powers.

Hughes's attack was recorded on a video camera that the Jedis had set up to film themselves in a light sabre battle.

"Darth Vader! Jedis!'' Hughes shouted as he approached.

Hughes said he couldn't remember the incident because he had drunk most of a 10 litre box of wine.

"He knows his behaviour was wrong and didn't want it to happen but he has no recollection of it,'' Hughes's lawyer Frances Jones said.

District Judge Andrew Shaw sentenced Hughes to two months in jail, suspended for a year.

The Jedi order, which claims about 30 members, says on its website that it uses "insight and knowledge'' from the films as "a guide to living a better and more worthwhile life".

"We all love the films and what they stand for. Obviously some people are going to laugh about it,'' the Wales on Sunday newspaper quoted Barney Jones as saying last month.

"But a lot of people do take it seriously.''

In the 2001 United Kingdom census, 390,000 - 0.7 per cent of the population - listed Jedi as their religion.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 14 May 2008, 10:40

Heheh... people taking children's films too seriously.

And now, adults not taking their own issues seriously enough:

http://regulus2.azstarnet.com/blogs/phi ... -this-game

Aaaaand the guide this guy has obviously read:

http://www.eegra.com/pages/show/title/0 ... e_to_GTAIV