Random News

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Dropdeadqt
Legendary
Random News

Post by Dropdeadqt » 28 Mar 2008, 13:10

Last edited by Dropdeadqt on 28 Mar 2008, 13:39, edited 2 times in total.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 28 Mar 2008, 13:14

Sigh, yes, we are all that stupid.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 28 Mar 2008, 13:22

Last edited by Xact on 28 Mar 2008, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 28 Mar 2008, 13:29

If you're just printing a URL, 9/10 times you don't need to use the URL tag.

L2Post, Xact :-P
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 28 Mar 2008, 13:33

Then why the hell is it there?

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 28 Mar 2008, 13:41

you need to do this

[url = <BLAH BLAH BLAH> ] <NAME TO APPEAR> [/url]

without the spaces

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 28 Mar 2008, 14:06

Thats how scrubzilla does shit

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 28 Mar 2008, 14:46

Isn't it BB code? not "scrubzilla" cause atm, if it is "scrubzilla", then "scrubzilla" is pwnzing yo ass =).

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 28 Mar 2008, 15:38

Not really if im not dependant on it to post a link....

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 01 Apr 2008, 13:31

lol, nice little blue post.

Guy posts a QQ thread.

Some seemingly random alt flames the OP.

Blue locks the thread after replying with this...
You actually took the time on another alt character to flame the person you claim to be, who you really aren't? It might well be time to step away for a breath of fresh air if your trolling becomes this complicated.
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... =1&sid=1#7

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 07 Apr 2008, 11:33

WTB http://www.australianit.news.com.au/sto ... 06,00.html

Love the picture...

"I forgot my camera... so here is a picture of some random Laptop shop kkthxbai4now"

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 07 Apr 2008, 11:55

Hahaha, the caption is also gold:
The grid is a system of fibre-optic cables and modern routing centres that mean movies and entire music catalogues can be downloaded in seconds, not hours
I can just imagine this guy on some panel or engineering standards board as the "business rep":

A) "So... this new broadband is capable of 10-20 times the speed?"
B) "That's correct."
A) "You know what this means? Movies and music can be downloaded faster!"
B) "Um. The internet isn't just used for - "
A) "Silence! Bring me my stock 'internet and technology' image!"

Edit:
Now that I've actually taken the time to read the scant few lines in the article itself, here are a few of the more LOLworthy parts:
devised by scientists at Cern, the European Organisation for Nuclear Research, and home of the internet...
Home of the internet? Oi vey, this kind of hyperbole always gets nerds worked up, why do they insist on using it?
...a particle accelerator, could also transmit holographic images and provide high-definition video telephony for the price of a local call.
Hey, this, um... thing, or something... might be... a particle accelerator, I don't know. It can do all this neat stuff, and it probably won't cost much, we're not really sure, it's not real yet, and it's not even being made here, but in a country with high population density. Maybe.
Unless it's not, in which case it isn't.

OMG, did you know, in Canada, local calls are free! SO THIS THING MUST BE FREE IN CANADA!
Physics professor David Britton from Glasgow University, a leading figure on the grid, told The Times that it "could revolutionise society".
I once said that I could really go a burger at Hungry Jack's because I had "a hunger that just can't be beat", but that don't make me a leading figure on fast food.
"With this kind of computing power, future generations will have the ability to collaborate and communicate in ways older people like me cannot even imagine," he said.
Translation: "I can't think of how this can help us right now."

Wow, and this from "a leading figure on the grid". Please, tell us what other wonders await us in the world of tomorrow.

And finally:
Ian Bird, project leader for the grid, said people would be able to store gigabytes of information on the internet.
"The internet... is... is not a big truck. It's... it's a series of tubes. You can't just dump something on the internet. My staff... sent me.... internet on tuesday... and it didn't arrive until today..."

I think this is a less a case of the people involved not having a fucking clue and more a case of really, really poor journalism.

Seriously, what the fuck? The article provides little to no actual information, instead just occassionally hinting or flirting with concepts that are never fully fleshed out. The only place the infrastructure required for this this thing is even touched on is in the motherfucking image caption and like Alley pointed out, it's not even a relevant or contributory image.

For those of you who felt like their mind was violated and their intelligence insulted by that article, here are a few links so that you can put together the pieces for yourself:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider
http://gridcafe.web.cern.ch/gridcafe/wh ... ality.html
(TLDR: Nothing to see here. Move along. Come back in 10 years.)

Nice call on the article btw, Alley, provided far more entertainment than the author intended :-P
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 07 Apr 2008, 13:39

It's those little gems from the Australian news that keeps me going every day.

This article was total class. This journalist is someone who would make a great role model for any young aspiring bullshitter.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 07 Apr 2008, 13:45

Alleycat wrote:It's those little gems from the Australian news that keeps me going every day.

This article was total class. This journalist is someone who would make a great role model for any young aspiring bullshitter.
The Australian is about as good as we can get in WA too >.>

All we have otherwise is a really shitty locally produced tabloid Monday-Saturday and an even shittier locally produced tabloid on Sunday.

This IT article was of Sunday Times quality, which is to say, probably produced by the journalist's 11 year old son :-P

Rathollorn
Legendary

Post by Rathollorn » 07 Apr 2008, 14:11

The Advertiser (South Australia) is worse quality than the West Australian (as hard as that is to believe).
Seize the means of production comrades!