3 hours at the counter.

Get something off your chest.
AND GET OFF MY LAWN!
Grouse
Epic
3 hours at the counter.

Post by Grouse » 18 Feb 2011, 19:18

So Grouse had fun with a customer ealier. 3 hours of fun at the counter.

Background:
for subdivision of a residential lot you apply to the Western Australian Planning Coimmission (WAPC). They grant approval and you can sell the new lot and live on the (now smaller) remaining one, or whatever, and you are neighbours.

For STRATA title subdivision, the lot stays intact ad the strata plan shows ownership of the lot... you own part of the Lot, the other owner owns their part of the lot, and you share the common property. E.g. 12A, 12B.

for subdivision, the services like water power and sewer need to be individually connected to each lot. Separate and elegant.

For Strata, one connection is required to the site as a whole, and the owners can figure out themselves how to arrange the internal connections to provide services to each strata lot. This was the case for Grouse' enquiry.

The Enquiry:
Someone got planning approval to put in a dwelling (i.e. house) on the rear lot of a two-lot survey strata. The garrage was approved over an existing sewer line. It's only an internal sewer connection so Local Government (Grouse) doesn't care, Water Corporation doesn't care and WAPC don't care and spread malicious misinformation.

The landowner wants to know how such a thing could be approved. Buildings approved for construction "on our sewer line" they exclaim, over the phone!
Water Corporation says "Don't Care".
WAPC Says "Talk to Local Government" (i.e. Grouse)
Grouse rebuts: "Work it out with the other landowner in accordance with Strata Titles Act 1985".

Applicant comes in to the Local Government Offices with her father (who is an ex-engineer... and not afraid to reitterate the fact)
3 hours starts now.
(after summoning a senior town planner, a building surveyor and an engineer)
Outcome: "Work it out with the other landowner in accordance with Strata Titles Act 1985."

What is itrritating, is that Grouse actually likes customer service enquiries and had a great time dealing with them as the primary focus of work... just occasional misinformation and ignorance can be very unproductive.
"Beep ... ... Beep ... ... Beep ... Beep ... Beep Beep BeepBeepBeepeepeepeep

...went my sarcasm meter."

Vampirial
Legendary

Re: 3 hours at the counter.

Post by Vampirial » 19 Feb 2011, 20:22

People don't like doing their homework, if they fucked up it's someone elses fault. Welcome to the age we live in I think thats why lawyers have a field day.
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine

Takius
Legendary

Post by Takius » 19 Feb 2011, 22:57

Grouse wrote:So Grouse had fun with a customer ealier. 3 hours of fun at the counter.

Background:
for subdivision of a residential lot you apply to the Western Australian Planning Coimmission (WAPC). They grant approval and you can sell the new lot and live on the (now smaller) remaining one, or whatever, and you are neighbours.

For STRATA title subdivision, the lot stays intact ad the strata plan shows ownership of the lot... you own part of the Lot, the other owner owns their part of the lot, and you share the common property. E.g. 12A, 12B.

for subdivision, the services like water power and sewer need to be individually connected to each lot. Separate and elegant.

For Strata, one connection is required to the site as a whole, and the owners can figure out themselves how to arrange the internal connections to provide services to each strata lot. This was the case for Grouse' enquiry.

The Enquiry:
Someone got planning approval to put in a dwelling (i.e. house) on the rear lot of a two-lot survey strata. The garrage was approved over an existing sewer line. It's only an internal sewer connection so Local Government (Grouse) doesn't care, Water Corporation doesn't care and WAPC don't care and spread malicious misinformation.

The landowner wants to know how such a thing could be approved. Buildings approved for construction "on our sewer line" they exclaim, over the phone!
Water Corporation says "Don't Care".
WAPC Says "Talk to Local Government" (i.e. Grouse)
Grouse rebuts: "Work it out with the other landowner in accordance with Strata Titles Act 1985".

Applicant comes in to the Local Government Offices with her father (who is an ex-engineer... and not afraid to reitterate the fact)
3 hours starts now.
(after summoning a senior town planner, a building surveyor and an engineer)
Outcome: "Work it out with the other landowner in accordance with Strata Titles Act 1985."

What is itrritating, is that Grouse actually likes customer service enquiries and had a great time dealing with them as the primary focus of work... just occasional misinformation and ignorance can be very unproductive.
Sir, I feel your pain! I for one hated dealing with subdivvy enquiries when I was working at council as they always seemed to end up getting messy. I definately agree that a lot planning laws and schemes are written in a way that requires a degree to understand (and even then for the first couple of months your kinda guessing) and that ends up enraging people more through ignorance and not understanding clearly what can and cannot be done on their land. I'm quite surprised there isn't an easement on the title as those are simply the best thing ever for these kind of disputes, I always got a warm fuzzy feeling inside when someone called up QQing that City West Water (West Melbourne's water authority) came and demolished their garage because they needed to get at a pipe they built over. Always good for a lol.

Still, 3 hours is fucking epic man. If it makes you feel any better the other day I got a call from a man who demanded to know why the Prime Minister didn't launch missiles at Cyclone Yasi because according to him doing this would distrupt the workings of it and cause it to dissipate.

Fun times.

Also - I thought you said that all sub divvys were managed through the state gov and not the local gov (I remember being surprised because in vic everything is done through the local authority, ie council). Have they changed the way they do it?
Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 21 Feb 2011, 09:33

Takius wrote:
Grouse wrote:
Still, 3 hours is fucking epic man. If it makes you feel any better the other day I got a call from a man who demanded to know why the Prime Minister didn't launch missiles at Cyclone Yasi because according to him doing this would distrupt the workings of it and cause it to dissipate.
This made me lol, can i steal your quote for Facebook?
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 23 Feb 2011, 21:17

Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Takius
Legendary

Post by Takius » 23 Feb 2011, 21:20

Johnnyrico wrote:Image
Words cannot describe how much this picture wins the prize! :D
Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Lellybaby
Legendary

Post by Lellybaby » 24 Feb 2011, 09:49

That is something i do not want to se so early in the morning thankyou very much...

Juke a DK/Warrior, Die Anyway ._.

Grouse
Epic

Post by Grouse » 24 Feb 2011, 11:39

Takius wrote: ...the other day I got a call from a man who demanded to know why the Prime Minister didn't launch missiles at Cyclone Yasi because according to him doing this would distrupt the workings of it and cause it to dissipate.
"That is not a planning matter, perhaps contact your MLA."
"Beep ... ... Beep ... ... Beep ... Beep ... Beep Beep BeepBeepBeepeepeepeep

...went my sarcasm meter."

Takius
Legendary

Post by Takius » 25 Feb 2011, 00:45

Ha, well atm I'm working in politics not planning...but if I was I'd probably sight some clause in the act about the preservation of the environment (assuming that Yasi was part of the natural environment). :P