32 bit 3GB problem - revisited

Get something off your chest.
AND GET OFF MY LAWN!
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
32 bit 3GB problem - revisited

Post by Cartollomew » 05 Aug 2009, 15:29

I vaguely recall having rambled on a bit about this sort of thing in the past (32bit systems should be able to access 4GB of RAM, but can't due to push video cards using their address space), but here's an interesting development:
http://dansdata.com/io096.htm
(under "everything old is new again")

I've got the software on my "to do" list for checkin' out.

Granted, if you have 3GB of RAM, it's unlikely that one extra gig is going to be life changing, but it is annoying not having access to a gig you paid for, just because the people in the industry are were still are short sighted.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Xact
Legendary

Re: 32 bit 3GB problem - revisited

Post by Xact » 05 Aug 2009, 15:32

Actually, I'll have to check, cos I think mine is using all 4 gig on XP 32bit.

I could be horribly horribly wrong however.

Ohh and RAM is freaking cheap atm, got 16gb off IBM the other day (4x4gb), obviously ECC Registered etc for like $650. Was impressed that ECC costs had dropped, not to mention that IBM wasn't completely ripping us off as per usual!

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Re: 32 bit 3GB problem - revisited

Post by Cartollomew » 05 Aug 2009, 16:00

Xact wrote:Actually, I'll have to check, cos I think mine is using all 4 gig on XP 32bit.
I would be literally astounded if this were the case.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!