Reasons Why You Shouldn't Hang Around Gay People

Get something off your chest.
AND GET OFF MY LAWN!
Evilelmo
Epic
Reasons Why You Shouldn't Hang Around Gay People

Post by Evilelmo » 03 May 2009, 22:14

I love my family to bits, I really do.

So I decided to tell them about my "ahem" faghag tendencies one day.....

These were the responses I got :

1. If you associated with homosexual people too much, you may be homosexual too, it's like a disease!
2. You could get aids.
3. It's not natural
4. It's against your religion.

Seriously, I mean seriously? It's painful and frustrating to conduct a rational conversation about my preference of friends (or should i say - no preference?) with people from the old world. It doesn't matter if I know more about the topic than them, they "know" someone and so this and that happened so it'd definitely happen to me. They don't base anything on factual, scientific evidence. In fact - They completely ignore all logical rationalizations, Basically i talked to a wall. A solid brick wall.

I say LOBBIDITY!!! You say LOL!!!

Karjalan
Legendary

Re: Reasons Why You Shoudln't Hang Around Gay People

Post by Karjalan » 03 May 2009, 23:23

Aha, you could get aids.... thats like saying hanging around with asians could give you Bird Flu, Superior Mathmatical intellect and slanty eyes....

Lesson of the story is, never tell old people anything about anything.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Evilelmo
Epic

Post by Evilelmo » 03 May 2009, 23:38

My eyes are NOT slanty

/grumble

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 04 May 2009, 00:05

Evilelmo wrote:My eyes are NOT slanty

/grumble
In saying this, you are implying that all gays have aids? Or miss interpretting my analogy completely :P
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 04 May 2009, 09:17

Evilelmo wrote:Basically i talked to a wall. A solid brick wall.
Now you know how we feel talking to you about the very same subject.
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 04 May 2009, 09:21

Johnnyrico wrote:Now you know how we feel talking to you about the very same subject.
pwnt.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 04 May 2009, 09:45

Johnnyrico wrote:
Now you know how we feel talking to you about ANY subject.
Fixt? :O

Set yourself up for that one :P
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 04 May 2009, 11:31

Karjalan wrote:
Johnnyrico wrote:
Now you know how we feel talking to you about ANY subject.
Fixt? :O

Set yourself up for that one :P
I have never quoted so much motherfucking truth in my LIFE.

Also, I laughed HARD at this, it's dripping in irony.
It's painful and frustrating to conduct a rational conversation... In fact - They completely ignore all logical rationalizations
At least we know where she gets it from now.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 04 May 2009, 12:05

Emo sometimes parents are like that, all you can do is make sure when you have children you don't perpetuate the cycle (which would seem unlikely). At least you tried maybe one day you'll end up like me and barely talk to your folks at all cos you can't do anything that won't aggravate em :P
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Re: Reasons Why You Shouldn't Hang Around Gay People

Post by Cartollomew » 04 May 2009, 12:29

You're not surprised, but it irritates you somewhere knowing that they just won't see things the way you do.

But in all seriousness, you had the exact same identical reaction when we discussed A.I. as your parents are having now.

Being able to understand how they feel doesn't make it any better, but at least you can forgive them their prejudices, in light of your own.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Evilelmo
Epic

Post by Evilelmo » 04 May 2009, 18:05

To Karj
- I understood your analogy, It's just a ridiculous one (and a popular one as well), and well slightly irritating.

To Mew
- I can't even recall where i had a conversation with you about anything important where i agured with you. Stop trying to start shit and maybe I'll actually have a rational conversation with you.

To Cart
- AI to that extent is something we both agreed on would not impact our lives for at least another 200 years, how could you make rational agruments and ideas when we've had yet to experianced it? What we were discussing was purely theory based so far, i think it's difficult to make a rational judgement when you haven't even experianced something personally. Homosexuality on the other hand, is different. One in eight (or is it seven) people in Australia have homosexual tendencies and it impacts us in some way or another (directly or indirectly). We have plenty of media coverage, debates, friends or family that are either queer or deal with queer people. You're also jumping to conclusions, I've got nothing against their prejudices, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, It's just that they won't listen to mine.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 04 May 2009, 18:27

Evilelmo wrote:- AI to that extent is something we both agreed on would not impact our lives for at least another 200 years, how could you make rational agruments and ideas when we've had yet to experianced it? What we were discussing was purely theory based so far, i think it's difficult to make a rational judgement when you haven't even experianced something personally.
You haven't "experienced homosexuality personally". You're not gay. Even if I don't know anyone gay, I'm still entirely capable of forming rational opinions on the subject of homosexuality.

While homosexuality may have more of an impact on our day to day lives, that doesn't make any other topics less significant or any less rational a topic of discussion.

My point was that your opinion with regards to the question I posed (re: AI) was irrational - you made an assumption that was demonstrably false (as the 4 assumptions above are demonstrably false).

It frustrates me slightly when people fail to see a rational argument due to irrational prejudices. In this case, my discussion with you (re: AI) won't affect either of our lives, so it doesn't really matter.

You brought this up with your parents, knowing how they'd react. Why are you upset?
Homosexuality on the other hand, is different. One in eight (or is it seven) people in Australia have homosexual tendencies and it impacts us in some way or another (directly or indirectly). We have plenty of media coverage, debates, friends or family that are either queer or deal with queer people.
Big whoop. We're not quite where we could be with regards to equality and sexuality, but we're not where we were in the 40s either. Most of the ignorant fucks holding back homosexual marriage/adoption etc will die off in the next few generations, by which stage nobody will care any more and we'll move on to something else for conservatives to hold onto.
You're also jumping to conclusions, I've got nothing against their prejudices, everyone's entitled to their own opinion, It's just that they won't listen to mine.
You don't? I sure do - I think their prejudices are moronic and uninformed. The people might be perfectly fine, never met them. But their opinions are abhorrent and ignorant; my guess is that they hold onto them simply because they don't want to believe otherwise. No matter what topic it is, that's scientifically abhorrent.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 04 May 2009, 19:31

Evilelmo wrote:To Karj
- I understood your analogy, It's just a ridiculous one (and a popular one as well), and well slightly irritating.
No it's not, it supports your original post, and I can accept you might take affence to it cause it's "racist" but I have never ever been serious, and the amount we joke back and forth, like 120% of the time, I would expecta little more rational thought processing from you.

Here I'll change the analogy.... "hanging around tall people might make you taller".... It's in support of your comment about how silly a comment it is that simply hanging around people of a certain demographic might make you catch something that is simply impossible to catch by hanging around them... and whats worse is that being part of that demographic does not automatically make you have said disease.... JUST like being asian doesn't make you superior at maths or necessarily mean you have slanty eyes or whatever.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Evilelmo
Epic

Post by Evilelmo » 04 May 2009, 19:44

Cartollomew wrote: You haven't "experienced homosexuality personally". You're not gay. Even if I don't know anyone gay, I'm still entirely capable of forming rational opinions on the subject of homosexuality.
I'm sure you're capable of forming rationalized opinions on certain topics because you've had access to these materials, you've listened on the news about newly implemented laws, you've seen the parade on Mardi Gras. The point is, it's now it happens around us and in a certain aspect it does affect you even if you think it doesn't. For instance, you may see two girls holding hands on a street or you hear on the news about Centrelink now accepting gay couples.

AI on the other hand, we've not experienced yet, and I'm not saying it's not important - It'd be very important in the far future. It's hard to judge and form opinions when we've not even had a glimpse of the future and what AI has in store for us. Personally I think after experiencing certain elements of it opinions can and will be swayed, and in most likeness - for. That's just like our current stance on homosexuality, certain individuals are so adamant about their stance, and they're not willing to negotiate at all. For example (not my parents) my friend from University won't even talk to a homosexual person he was introduced to, how can he judge a person when he doesn't even know them? Similarly, How could I make a proper judgment on AI when i haven't experienced it? I never said my opinion couldn't be swayed, i said at this point in time that is my stance on the issue.

Tbh my rant has nothing to do with homosexuality (it was more incredulity than anything else), it's on how stubborn and adamant people are on their views when they're so ignorant of all the other factors.

*edit

For Karj (Stop making posts that i need to make a rebuttal for , i want to sleep and now I'm going to be late for the raid :P)

I know it supports my original post, i was making a joke...

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 04 May 2009, 19:57

Evilelmo wrote:To Mew
- I can't even recall where i had a conversation with you about anything important where i agured with you. Stop trying to start shit and maybe I'll actually have a rational conversation with you.
Elmo, I'm not going to get into this on the public forums. My opinions are basically what Cart iterated only with more personal feel (and experience) behind them. If you want to be rational (PAHAHAHA) and talk more in depth about this (or anything really) then unblock me, re-add me to your MSN and talk to me, you know my e-mail.

BTW, you could take your last post apply it directly to how you treat me, and others from the guild. I won't name names, but you know who.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.