[LANGRAGE]Context in Japanese vs. English

Get something off your chest.
AND GET OFF MY LAWN!
Philondra
Legendary
[LANGRAGE]Context in Japanese vs. English

Post by Philondra » 29 Jan 2009, 14:03

I'm going to go absolutely nuts if I have to attempt to explain to a Japanese person one more time why a particular sentence cannot use "a" or "an" and instead should use "the" (or vice versa).

For those who do not know, the following are common issues that come up when translating from Japanese to English:

1.) Japanese has no defininte or indefinite articles (a/an, the)
2.) With very few exceptions, Japanese has no plurals
3.) Japanese has no capitalization
4.) Japanese has a word that loosely translates as "etc", except that it is used *much* more often than the English version.

Of these, the first and fourth are the hardest, because inevitably some asshole of a customer will ask to change things to something that reads horribly and makes a native speaker think that "those shifty Japs" are trying to hide something, when it's really a linguistic error that needs to be changed for the English version. I got a job today checking the English of one of our clients' in-house translation jobs, and here is the title of the document:

"Policy concerning sale, etc. of stocks by the company employee, etc."

First off, a great big "Fuck you," Ms. Native Japanese translator. Grats on putting so many goddamn "etcs." into the title that it now essentially means nothing.

That, and thank you too for deciding that your company only has one employee. Maybe if your translation didn't suck my balls you would have two or more.

*tears hair out*

Lellybaby
Legendary

Re: [LANGRAGE]Context in Japanese vs. English

Post by Lellybaby » 29 Jan 2009, 17:04

Phil is this mainly due to the translators, 'translating word from word' and not looking at the sentence as a whole?

I remember when i use to learn french that i would go through each word and then when i had the lot in English, I would have to re-evaluate the whole sentence in order for it to make sense.

Juke a DK/Warrior, Die Anyway ._.

Evilelmo
Epic

Post by Evilelmo » 29 Jan 2009, 17:06

but shouldn't translaters have a ready grasp of the english language?

if they wanted everything translated word for word they could just use a computer program, internet or dictionary!

besides corporate documents aren't school projects!

I say LOBBIDITY!!! You say LOL!!!

Lellybaby
Legendary

Post by Lellybaby » 29 Jan 2009, 17:12

well from the ready increase in Phil's blood pressure over the time i've known him ^^ i'd expect that some people don't have a good grasp of English.

Also from a foreigns point of view the English languaged is 'fucked up'. One of the hardest to learn i've been told because of all our irregularities.

Juke a DK/Warrior, Die Anyway ._.

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 29 Jan 2009, 17:17

Generally, it actually goes by the customer.

Japanese companies tend not to care if the English is readable. They want to be able to look at the English and be able to tell that it's faithful to the Japanese.
Western companies tend to place a huge emphasis on readable English, even if it means sacrificing adherance to the original text.

Here's where conflicts occurr:

1.) My company employs ~98% native Japanese translators to do J-->E translation. This means that the resulting English is almost always stilted.
2.) If I get a request to "brush up" a document, the translation coordinator almost invariably REMOVES all my styling corrections because "well, the Japanese version used quotation marks, so we have to use them in English" or something.

Number 2, obviously, results in in sentences like:

ABC company produces "safe" pesticide that can be used just before harvest.
(Yeah.... it's so "safe" its gives your customers cancer.)

Fortunately, I can usually dispel problems related to #2 by telling said Japanese person, "Well, in English this word is capitalized, so shouldn't we increase the font for that kanji character?" Which, of course, they always find ridiculous and look at me like I'm utterly insane. I use that lull in the conversation to comment that adding extraneous quotation marks is just as stupid-looking to me, so please don't do it.

So in case you were wondering if I was this curmudgeon-y at work, the answer is: yes, to the extent that I can get away with.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 29 Jan 2009, 17:22

I hear you Phil.

Keep fighting the good fight.

Btw - you seen any of the Canadian series Corner Gas?
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 29 Jan 2009, 18:16

...or like this catch-copy phrase on a pamphlet for a solar cell-producing company:

"We want to expand your pleasure with our innovative technologies looking to the future of this planet."

NEW AND IMPROVED solar cells -- ribbed for her pleasure.

/cry
/wrists
/bleed

Evilelmo
Epic

Post by Evilelmo » 30 Jan 2009, 12:45

Philondra wrote:...or like this catch-copy phrase on a pamphlet for a solar cell-producing company:

"We want to expand your pleasure with our innovative technologies looking to the future of this planet."

NEW AND IMPROVED solar cells -- ribbed for her pleasure.
or his!

I say LOBBIDITY!!! You say LOL!!!

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 30 Jan 2009, 14:17

Evilelmo wrote:or his!
You obviously don't understand the concept of ribbed condoms....

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 30 Jan 2009, 15:06

Xact wrote:
Evilelmo wrote:or his!
You obviously don't understand the concept of ribbed condoms....
pretty sure she knows how a vagina works
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Jan 2009, 15:30

Johnnyrico wrote: pretty sure she knows how a vagina works
That makes one of us...
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Chappy
Epic

Post by Chappy » 30 Jan 2009, 15:37

LMAO

u know ribed condoms were made for the gay community...

ribbed = better traction in the mud
that is all
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 28 Apr 2009, 17:00

@Native Japanese spakers translating Japanese to English:

No matter how horribly defigured a piece of metal tubing is, it is NEVER ok to refer to it as a "crack pipe".

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 28 Apr 2009, 17:03

Philondra wrote:@Native Japanese spakers translating Japanese to English:

No matter how horribly defigured a piece of metal tubing is, it is NEVER ok to refer to it as a "crack pipe".
lawl.

Takius
Legendary

Post by Takius » 29 Apr 2009, 14:28

bwhahaha ect.

I always have a peek ect, at this site at work ect. Check it out Phil....ect.

http://engrishfunny.com/
Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.