Tag - 6 Thinks that I hate

Get something off your chest.
AND GET OFF MY LAWN!
Xact
Legendary
Re: Tag - 6 Thinks that I hate

Post by Xact » 02 Jan 2009, 15:53

New pet peeve.

You ask someone: "How was you day?" "What are you doing today?" etc and then they spiel on forever giving their life story then don't even ask you the equivalent question.

Common courtesy people!

*edit* Mum and Dad are the worst offenders.

Naoru
Epic

Post by Naoru » 02 Jan 2009, 17:44

Cartollomew wrote:
Naoru wrote: 3. Microsoft
For making Vista 32bit not include support for more than 3.5Gig of ram. I didn't pay $150 for a slightly upgraded version of XP.
http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm
^Helps.

It's kinda like the whole 512K memory thing all over again. Apparently computer scientists can't plan for the future.
Lol, I just got my housemate to download a cracked version of Windows Vista Ultimate. Problem solved. The moral of the story is if you buy Microsoft products expecting a quality well polished piece of software you will get fucked up the ass.
Chain Heal is what Prayer Of Mending wants to be when it grows up... = P Silly priests

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 02 Jan 2009, 19:56

mmmhmmm, sure, it's all microsofts incompetence.
Dan's Data wrote:Most PC users, though, are still using 32-bit versions of Windows (or Linux, or whatever). Then, you'll have the same "3Gb barrier" problems no matter what processor you have."
it's a 32bit problem not a windows problem.

and you'll note that later he goes onto talk about hardware/chipset based workarounds built into motherboards.
i don't recall microsoft ever making motherboards

you're like everybody who says they are going to buy a mac because they never break

god.
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 02 Jan 2009, 20:37

Aye, no matter what operating system you have, if it's 32 bit, it won't be able to address beyond 4 gigs, by nature of being 32 bit.

Compounding the problem is the "hole" I was talking about (and my bad, it's a 640K problem, not a 512K problem - been a while):
The combination of the 640k maximum system memory and the one megabyte address limit, though, led to a design decision to use the memory addresses between 640 kilobytes and 1Mb as an input/output dumping ground for other hardware in the computer.
Basically, the people of ye olde tymes had the same problem; their operating systems should definitely be able to address more than 1MB of memory, but could only go to 640K, so some thoughtless hardware manufacturers "used up" all the stuff between 640K and 1024K for their own addressing.

Today, the hardware pricks have made the exact same identical error:
Large areas of the memory between three and four gigabytes are cordoned off for system devices in exactly the same way that chunks of the Upper Memory Area were purloined in the old days. Once again, the processor (and other system components) can talk with some devices by reading and writing memory addresses up above 3Gb.
Assuming 64bit Vista isn't lying to you about making all 4 of your gigs available, your machine is probably doing this:
Some 64-bit motherboards these days give you an option for "memory hole remapping". That moves the fourth-gigabyte MMIO memory holes higher into the 64-bit address space, probably way above the maximum RAM you can physically install.

Many other 64-bit boards, though, are even smarter, and can leave the memory holes where they are and remap (at least some of) the physical RAM out from under the holes and up past 4Gb. This process is often entertainingly referred to as "memory hoisting", and it used to be the preserve of server motherboards. It's been showing up in more and more desktop mobos, though. And on some of them, the memory-hoisting BIOS setting even works, and doesn't horribly crash the system as soon as something tries to use the remapped RAM.
Either way, as Mitra said, the problem here isn't that MS are irascible bastards (although they are), it's that hardware manufacturers and the people in charge of setting standards have a wonderful track record of not learning from their mistakes.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Evilelmo
Epic

Post by Evilelmo » 28 Jan 2009, 12:49

Xact wrote:New pet peeve.

You ask someone: "How was you day?" "What are you doing today?" etc and then they spiel on forever giving their life story then don't even ask you the equivalent question.

Common courtesy people!

*edit* Mum and Dad are the worst offenders.

not heidi?

I say LOBBIDITY!!! You say LOL!!!

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 28 Jan 2009, 12:55

Nah, she always returns the favor ;)

Unlike some woman in this office.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 28 Jan 2009, 13:18

Xact wrote: 6. People who work in retail and ask every 45 seconds if you need a hand. I hate shopping as it is, don't annoy me on top of that, if I need a hand ill find you.
Yeah I know this, my brief foray into retail lead me to believe that the managers/people who run the store have no idea about human interaction because we got in trouble for NOT running over and wanking you off in to our coffee. I always thought it was bullshit so I would just stand near the entrance to my department and just say "hey - howsit going" and if they were wanting someone to help them find something I've opened the conversation without forcing them to reply.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 28 Jan 2009, 13:24

That's one of the only good things about being a caucasian long-term resident of Japan -- no one tries to talk to me in a store when I just want to be left alone.

The problem is that the generally also don't try to talk to me at the register either.

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 28 Jan 2009, 13:25

Karjalan wrote:
Xact wrote: 6. People who work in retail and ask every 45 seconds if you need a hand. I hate shopping as it is, don't annoy me on top of that, if I need a hand ill find you.
Yeah I know this, my brief foray into retail lead me to believe that the managers/people who run the store have no idea about human interaction because we got in trouble for NOT running over and wanking you off in to our coffee. I always thought it was bullshit so I would just stand near the entrance to my department and just say "hey - howsit going" and if they were wanting someone to help them find something I've opened the conversation without forcing them to reply.

Pro sauce, why cant all retail people be like this.

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 28 Jan 2009, 13:47

screw you guys. I need the attention.

LOVEEEE MEEEEEEE
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Kalifa
Epic

Post by Kalifa » 01 Feb 2009, 14:38

Xact wrote: 4. People who call mobile phones, cell phones (Fucking yanks).
Obviously you know nothing of telecom. They are cell phones for a reason!

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 03 Feb 2009, 12:34

Xact wrote:
Karjalan wrote:

Pro sauce, why cant all retail people be like this.

I've had this argument with my boss on a regular basis, I tend to just greet people and ask if they need a hand if they look lost, it is generally easy to tell if someone wants help but yea most people can just ask. I think the problem is the criteria that people uses for mystery shoppers doesn't conform to this. If our mystery shopper doesn't get offered assistance and a greeting within 3 minutes of entering the store its like a check against our name : / On a store basis I think we're awarded by things such as mystery shopping results so bosses really push it.
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 03 Feb 2009, 13:18

One of the Tricky Dick managers explained forward greetings to me as having a psychological effect - saying "How can I help you?" to someone who hasn't actually asked for help has a high chance of tricking them into actually telling you what they want - whether they need your help or not - at which point you can immediately begin directing toward the products you want to sell (rather than, necessarily, the product they want to buy).

I've seen sales guys flog off a tonne of stuff to people who don't want it; but then I've also seen a whole lotta people return the stuff the next day.

I'm in favour of eye contact and a "hello", and then everyone just gets on with the job.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 03 Feb 2009, 14:59

Tell me that when your a manager cart

oh snapz
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?