i wonder what they'll be saying when cd sales are down....

Get something off your chest.
AND GET OFF MY LAWN!
Mitra
Legendary
i wonder what they'll be saying when cd sales are down....

Post by Mitra » 14 Dec 2008, 17:52

100 bucks says that downloaders are to blame
http://aria.com.au/pages/CDSalesSkyrocket.htm wrote: 4 December 2008 (SYDNEY) – With Christmas still three weeks away and consumers tightening belts on spending, the Australian Recording Industry Association (ARIA) reports that CD sales have jumped as much as 57 per cent on a week-by-week comparison over the same period last year.

“For the past six weeks, we’ve seen a dramatic increase in physical album sales,” said Ed St John, ARIA Chairman and President and CEO of Warner Music Australasia. “Given the current economic climate, consumers appear to be re-prioritising their spending and music suddenly looks like a really attractively priced gift.”

The six-week uplift – which shows no signs of abating – commenced 27 October and shows a 22 per cent overall increase in CD sales from the same time last year. Over the same period, sales of the Top 5 albums are more than double the sales of last year.

“The release of highly anticipated blockbuster albums from Kings of Leon, AC/DC and P!nk appear to have been the catalyst for this spike in sales,” said St John. “But since then we’ve seen successive big releases from a whole host of acts – Nickelback, The Killers, Guns N Roses – and people seem to be rushing into music stores in numbers we haven’t seen for a long, long time.”

The week of AC/DC’s Black Ice release recorded a 47 per cent increase in physical sales over the same week in 2007. One week later, after pushing AC/DC from the #1 position on the charts, P!nk’s album Funhouse helped to push CD sales 57 per cent higher than the same period last year.

Australian Music Retailers' Association (AMRA) Chair and proprietor of Mall Music Geoff Bonouvrie credits both the state of the economy and the quality of albums to the rise in sales.
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Lellybaby
Legendary

Re: i wonder what they'll be saying when cd sales are down....

Post by Lellybaby » 15 Dec 2008, 12:58

So by using their thinking... when we will have a booming economy, the CD sales will be down ? D:

Juke a DK/Warrior, Die Anyway ._.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 15 Dec 2008, 13:06

I guess their argument is that people have less money to spend (or want to spend less money - gg) and that music CDs are comparatively cheaper than, say, whatever the hell else they think people buy in boom times. I dunno - magical piracy machines or something.

By his logic, CDs should actually be more expensive during the boom times, since people have more money to spend. Right? Right?

I wonder if anyone's considered the possibility that we have stronger albums than last year, so rather than just downloading one or two songs from iTunes, people are buying the whole thing. I have no figures to back that up and I take an interest in exactly zero of the artists he mentioned, but out here in the real world, St John, the quality of the product sometimes has an effect on whether or not people want to buy it.

Also:
Ed St John wrote:...appear to have been the catalyst for this spike in sales...
...that word... I do no think it means wha you think it means...
Mitra wrote:100 bucks says that downloaders are to blame
I'll take that bet. Will you accept 100 bucks worth of unverified MP3s?
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 15 Dec 2008, 14:40

cat⋅a⋅lyst
   /ˈkætlɪst/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kat-l-ist] Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. Chemistry. a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected.
2. something that causes activity between two or more persons or forces without itself being affected.
3. a person or thing that precipitates an event or change: His imprisonment by the government served as the catalyst that helped transform social unrest into revolution.
4. a person whose talk, enthusiasm, or energy causes others to be more friendly, enthusiastic, or energetic.

"The release of highly anticipated blockbuster albums from Kings of Leon, AC/DC and P!nk appear to have been the catalyst for this spike in sales,” said St John.

Technically the release is a thing that has precipitated the event or change? However the reasoning is that these bands do not suck balls like last years junk?

I'm confused. Should he have referenced a famous person buying them and said that he/she was the catalyst?

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 15 Dec 2008, 14:56

I think the word he's looking for is "forerunner", or something similar.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 15 Dec 2008, 15:43

How about.

The teen sluts and their rich parents really dig the new shit we pasted for them?

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 15 Dec 2008, 16:25

Alleycat wrote:How about.

The teen sluts and their rich parents really dig the new shit we pasted for them?
Werd, nigga. Don't be tuk ma jerb neither - have a crayon.