Thought of the Day.

Get something off your chest.
AND GET OFF MY LAWN!
Xact
Legendary
Thought of the Day.

Post by Xact » 23 Oct 2008, 16:56

This is a joint effort, everyone pitch in.

Thursday the 23rd of October
- Fuck you Fortigate, why the fuck dont you like LDAP you son of a bitch? Waste fucking 6 hours on you biatch.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 23 Oct 2008, 17:01

ZOMG! FORTIGUARD HAS DETERMINED THAT YOU'VE TRIED TO VIOLATE YOUR BROWSING POLICY!

YOU CHILD MOLESTOR HOW DARE YOU ATTEMPT TO ACCESS:

http://obvioustechrevieworFAQforumorblogsite.com

THIS IS CLEARLY SOME KIND OF LIBERAL AND NON-WORK RELATED FILTH! YOU ARE TOTALLY BANNINATED!

---

I'm not exaggerating that much even - the bright orange browser screen of death cranks out a "OMFG! YOU PERVERT!" page at the slighest provocation.

And yet, it's completely ineffective, since almost everyone has some workaround set up.

Filters are technically pointless. But I'm informed that they do serve some legal purpose.

But I feel your pain, Xact - my company is a "silver partner" or some crap of Forti-whoever and the tech guys are resigned to hating it.

Edit: "faq" in lower case looks pretty sus when it's a link, apparently.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 23 Oct 2008, 17:53

I dont even know why we have these pieces of crap, the Cisco PIX's where doing fine and people generally don't abuse the net.

One of the other IT guys just loves monitoring people though, fuck hes a douche.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 23 Oct 2008, 18:05

Xact wrote:...people generally don't abuse the net.
This.

It can be applied to a lot of things, including:

"There's no need to ban high-powered laser pointers, because people generally aren't dicks."

With regards to sites: If you find your staff are accessing facebook all day, then just block facebook.com and its IPs. Implementing a full-blown filtering solution is counterproductive.

I guess we should stop preaching to the choir though.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 23 Oct 2008, 19:01

On topic, my thought for the day:

If you wish to show that you're in agreement with what someone has said/written, the phrase is hear, hear!, not "here, here!".

It's not a big deal, but it shits me and it demonstrates a lack of awareness of the language used.

Runetender
Legendary

Post by Runetender » 23 Oct 2008, 20:35

Cartollomew wrote:On topic, my thought for the day:

If you wish to show that you're in agreement with what someone has said/written, the phrase is hear, hear!, not "here, here!".

It's not a big deal, but it shits me and it demonstrates a lack of awareness of the language used.
HERE HERE!

Xact
Legendary

Re: Thought of the Day.

Post by Xact » 24 Oct 2008, 15:45

Friday the 24th of October
- Fuck you Fortigate, I got you to like LDAP, you say my authentication succeeds then you dont give me my pr0n site....... FUCK YOU.
- I need my iPhone to fucking purge my emails, fucking IMAP, maybe theres a server side client that can run over my Mail DB every 15 mins and purge.
-Nearly time for a beer.

midi
Legendary

Post by midi » 24 Oct 2008, 15:53

My current bitch:

Fuck you Vista... Learn to adhere to your own fucking standards. Why the hell does Windows Installer shortcuts in your recent list have to invoke the ContextMenuHandlers when every other single shortcut works.

Everything else works like a dream except the recent list and Vista ain't responding to E_FAIL or E_INVALIDARG.

Fuck you Vista.

/criesincorner

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 24 Oct 2008, 15:59

Sounds like there's plenty of E_FAIL actually...

midi
Legendary

Post by midi » 24 Oct 2008, 16:01

Oh yeah... Now I'm in a state of E_OUTOFMEMORY and need a drink.

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 24 Oct 2008, 16:38

Ive been testing vista on my lappy at work for the last month, quiet enjoyable to be honest, its no different to XP from what im doing, just kinda prettier.

Cant use the shit document management system though, which is another pro of Vista, gonna be a shit upgrading HBird.

midi
Legendary

Post by midi » 24 Oct 2008, 17:09

Eh, my impressions are it's ok if you leave it alone. It reminds me very much of outlook where once you begin to tinker under the hood, unexpected things go wrong.

XP from this point of view feels more resilient, but then that's no surprise. I'll stick with Ubuntu at home though, as I prefer it way more than Vista.

HBird = Hummingbird?

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 24 Oct 2008, 17:43

Vista probably would have become better if it hadn't been executed and marketed so fucking poorly.

Mind you, it would have been easier to market if it had had, you know, some deal-breaking tangible advantage over XP.

It's kinda pointless as it stands really.
midi wrote:I'll stick with Ubuntu at home though, as I prefer it way more than Vista.
I'm so very impressed with the usability improvements they've made since I first started fiddling with Linux 8 years ago. But it ain't perfect yet - part of that is related to not having a large and stupid enough user base, and part of that is just rough edging that will naturally get polished over time.

It's already giving the old hats a run for their money in many places. Plus, my girlfriend now runs it almost exclusively on her laptop, in place of XP (which runs like a dog after Office and virus scanner are installed). Once a free OS reaches that level of usability, the bar has been raised for all.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 24 Oct 2008, 17:46

Oh, and here's my thought for the day:

Ban Daylight Savings Time.

And timezones.

I'm serious - just fucking ban timezones. Everyone uses UTC.

When I say "3am", you know what I mean, because it's 3am for everyone.

What's that? You want to take advantage of the daylight hours and you live somewhere close to the north pole?

Then here's a thought:
Get up one hour earlier and work one hour earlier.
No need to change the timezone and continue working at the same "time".

It's really not necessary to move the mountain to Mohammed, people.

Runetender
Legendary

Post by Runetender » 25 Oct 2008, 13:43