Alternate forms of life on Titan? :O

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Karjalan
Legendary
Re: Alternate forms of life on Titan? :O

Post by Karjalan » 18 Jun 2010, 22:23

This is only kind of not the likely inevitable truth when combining our destruction of the ocean/over fishing, and perpetual desire to rape nature for profits... :D
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 23 Jun 2010, 15:22

http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/search/voyage

The latest two episodes are pretty good, I didn't know much about mercury and venus, about half of what was told in that episode. Pluto I don't really have an interest in, but they do go on about the search for extrasolar planets, and earth like planets in particular.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 23 Jun 2010, 16:02

The part about launching Tombaugh's (Pluto's discoverer's) ashes in a probe past Pluto was pretty cool too - he's going to be the furthest human ever. Pretty much forever too.

Posthumously anyway.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Lellybaby
Legendary

Post by Lellybaby » 23 Jun 2010, 16:37

Cartollomew wrote:The part about launching Tombaugh's (Pluto's discoverer's) ashes in a probe past Pluto was pretty cool too - he's going to be the furthest human ever. Pretty much forever too.

Posthumously anyway.
Poor Pluto. Not even classified as a Planet anymore :(

Juke a DK/Warrior, Die Anyway ._.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 23 Jun 2010, 18:36

Cartollomew wrote:The part about launching Tombaugh's (Pluto's discoverer's) ashes in a probe past Pluto was pretty cool too - he's going to be the furthest human ever. Pretty much forever too.

Posthumously anyway.
Yeah I thought that was pretty sweet too. I was disappointed to find out the Pluto explorer wasn't staying in orbit for a while like Galileo around the Jupiter system and Cassini around Saturn.

They've been putting quite a few sentimental things into space recently, including part of Isaac Newtons tree that dropped an apple on his head (supposedly inspiring his theory of gravity).
Lel wrote:Poor Pluto. Not even classified as a Planet anymore
Yeah, I liked Pluto when I learnt about it as a kid, but as a slightly more aware adult, it makes sense, it has so many things going against it's planet status. It has a tail like a comet, 4 moons are bigger than it, it's own "moon" is over half it's size meaning it's centre of gravity is actually outside of Pluto's mass... And most importantly, it hasn't cleared out it's orbital path of other debris, i.e. it lives amongst many other similar sized objects in the Kuiper belt
Last edited by Mitra on 23 Jun 2010, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix quote tag
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 18 Jul 2010, 15:45

Lellybaby wrote:

Posthumously anyway.
Poor Pluto. Not even classified as a Planet anymore :(

Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 22 Aug 2010, 20:57

Karjalan wrote:
Perfectcell wrote:I'm interested in anything about our universe and the uncomprehending vastness of space ^^ Though clearly i'm no expert at it i like to watch the stars and read as much as i can. Scientists have been predicting life on Titan for years now and its awesome to hear some evidence that makes this a real possibility.

Karj just out of curiosity what field do you work in?
I don't :(, I'm aiming for Astronomy/AstroPhysics or some form of Biology/Neurology but I am at a crossroads where I haven't got a definite path yet and am just bumming around. I don't know if I won't to really put in the hard yards and do the Astronomy path, or pursue something else, and do some more hardcore amateur Astronomy, like get a good telescope, maybe join an astronomy club or something...
That would be super duper cool, seems astronomy is almost a dying science these days with all the lack of funding it gets. When I was a teenager I wanted to be an astronomer just so I could work for SETI - Maybe something related to my x-files fetish. One thing I love finding out about is all the ancient civilizations who knew so much more about the stars that we didn't discover till we invented ways of looking at them! Truly amazes me
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine