Oh for Christ's Sake

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Oh for Christ's Sake

Post by Cartollomew » 29 Jan 2010, 12:50

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/ne ... on-doctor/

Anyone who "gets saved" watching The 700 Club is delusional and dangerous.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

dukkha
Epic

Re: Oh for Christ's Sake

Post by dukkha » 29 Jan 2010, 13:09

Well... given he killed a man in cold blood, I guess that proves your point. ;) But really, how could you not be saved, watching Pat Robertson. After all, once you realise that homosexuality caused the September 11 attacks, Voodoo caused the Haitian earthquake, loose morals caused the New Orleans flood and that Hugo Chavez should be assassinated (for nationalising oil, I think... not actually sure why everyone hates him so much), killing a little old abortion provider is just an attempt to save people. Not fetuses, but everyone. If you didn't do it, volcanos will explode and tidal waves will come and... yeah...

It really is a terrible precedent to let him use this as part of his defense though.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 29 Jan 2010, 13:38

dukkha wrote:It really is a terrible precedent to let him use this as part of his defense though.
Given it seems to be an established defense in that thar state, I'm guessing that ship has sailed.

Apart from anything else though, I just continue to be amazed at how non Christ-like so many Christians are.

Do the people who get down on their knees and "Accept Christ as their Saviour" realise how very different they are to the people who originally hung out with him?
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Lellybaby
Legendary

Post by Lellybaby » 29 Jan 2010, 13:44

I would be hoping this would be an 'extremist'.

Just as there are in many religions.

I did some prac-work at Muslim school and it really was an eye-opener. They might have a different religion but they all pretty much want the same thing as us.

Most of these kids were refugees from other countries just trying to find their place in the world. What I found most amusing was that alot of the kids wanted to know about Australian Culture/Style. Girls secretly wearing make-up etc

No suicide bombers in that good group of kids ^_^

Extremists exist in all religions, all we can do is show people that there is more than one way to do things and accept that we all have a difference in opinions.

Juke a DK/Warrior, Die Anyway ._.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 29 Jan 2010, 13:58

Certainly it isn't every day that an evangelical Christian shoots and kills an abortion doctor; the extremists are a minority.

But this guy is living in a culture steeped in this kind of BS - this isn't the result of some tiny crazy cable TV show, the beliefs that this extremist haboured were bouyed up by extremely popular US TV shows and religious personalities.

I meant what I said - evangelical Christians in the States, by and large, have barely a nodding acquaintance with Jesus, just as Muslim fundamentalists would likely not get along well with Mohammad.

The fact that the moderate and/or sensible denominations of these faiths have a great deal of common ground means jack squat when all the attention is being paid to the nut jobs - I don't see any wildly successful Episcopalian or Catholic TV shows in the US.

Chappy
Epic

Post by Chappy » 29 Jan 2010, 14:30

Cartollomew wrote:I don't see any wildly successful Episcopalian or Catholic TV shows in the US.
Fox 8 was going to run with one... a spin off of "touched by an angel" ..., it was going to be a new crime fighting show about priest's.....
ill leave the rest to ur imagination
i could possibly be going to hell now....
coming from a religious family myself >.<
C://dos
C://dos.run
run.dos.run

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 29 Jan 2010, 14:34

I guess the key words here are "wildly successful". Moderation doesn't sell well for media, even when your highest ranking official says some spectacularly inadvisable things regarding disease prevention in third world countries.

dukkha
Epic

Post by dukkha » 29 Jan 2010, 14:42

Cartollomew wrote:
dukkha wrote:It really is a terrible precedent to let him use this as part of his defense though.
Given it seems to be an established defense in that thar state, I'm guessing that ship has sailed.
My reading on it has actually suggested that this is the first time a defendant has been allowed to use the self-defense argument in court. They've tried to do it repeatedly before, but haven't been successful (I could be mis-informed here). Hopefully he'll fail in the attempt, but even having it as an option is dangerous. (if you assume you can get out of jail, as a hero, in 3-5 years, it's a lot more tempting than 20 years)

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 30 Jan 2010, 20:11

If he is successful with his plea, it really will be a major upheaval in any sort of abortion crime for the future. But hey I guess that these nutjobs can't see that bringing unwanted children into the world can be a bad thing - its not like kids get abused by there parents or anything.... Or neglected. I can't say I support abortions but I must say it was difficult enough being pregnant and having your partner lose his job that it was an option I did (marginally) consider and we were actively trying for a baby. Imagine if its now sorta only manslaughter if you kill abortionists with malicious intent, thats a slippery slope I don't like thinking about.
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 03 Feb 2010, 15:49

I'm not entirely sure how one can claim to be doing good when he breaks one of his own beliefs basic 10 commandments... and in the process breaking the federal and state law. He is honestly expecting to seek some sort of judicial absolution?

The underlying reason why this is a "justified" killing was "These were honestly held beliefs and he had no choice." Any criminal anywhere can apply that theory to any crime if he wants...... "I believed the rich man had too much money and it was my belief that I deserved some of his cash and personal belongings" I guess you could use one of the new deadly sins "Excessive Wealth" as an example/justified reason eventually?

Hugo Chavez should be assassinated (for nationalising oil, I think... not actually sure why everyone hates him so much)
Because nationalizing their oil would prevent his people from being screwed over and stop certain US oil companies from reaping "PHAT PROFITS". And he spoke badly of the former president... but then you may as well assassinate the Dixie Chicks for that >.<... gogo Free Speech?
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

dukkha
Epic

Post by dukkha » 03 Feb 2010, 16:40

Yeah, sorry, I should have been more specific. I understand why certain people hate Hugo Chavez (Pat Robertson owns a mine in Liberia from memory, so he also probably has a financial stake in Venezuala), I just don't understand how it became fashionable for almost every single media personality to start claiming he was a dictator, in direct contradiction to the several certified elections he won.