IPL does deal with Google.

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Karjalan
Legendary
IPL does deal with Google.

Post by Karjalan » 22 Jan 2010, 20:00

http://www.cricinfo.com/ipl2010/content ... 45173.html

I dunno but this seems like a pretty big deal. I think it's the first major sporting competition to be broadcast live for free for everywhere in the world online. Indian Cricket is one of the richest sporting organisation in the world, which is probably why google decided to start this new type of broadcasting with the IPL. The way it will work seems kind of revolutionary too, like you can view it from different camera's, pause, slow down, zoom in etc in live time. I'm not sure if you will be able to access things like hot spot, hawk eye, snicko etc. as they are expensive technologies... BUT I assume eventually this would be possible, and this would greatly enhance the experience of watching live cricket having that control at you're fingertips.
Last edited by Karjalan on 23 Jan 2010, 11:40, edited 1 time in total.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Re: IPL does deal with Google.

Post by Johnnyrico » 22 Jan 2010, 21:06

wait

how is indian cricket the richest in the world?
I'd figure european soccer or american basketball is where its at.
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 22 Jan 2010, 23:33

I mean like country, I don't think any of the European countries alone command as much, although I imagine the champions league would. I don't think basketball in america gets anywhere near that though. One of the West Indian players just got 2.25 million for one of the teams in the IPL, and thats one, short competition. I guess because it's like the main sport there and with 1 billion people they're bound to have enough money somewhere >.<
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Plexi
Epic

Post by Plexi » 23 Jan 2010, 00:48

Karjalan wrote:Indian Cricket is (supposedly) the richest sporting organisation in the world
Afaik, richest in Asia and the first sports venture in Asia to crack US$1b.

EPL is a shitstorm of money. Even other European leagues (la liga, bundesliga, serie A) are, i'm not sure by what margin, probably substantially above IPL.

NFL is also bigger than NBL? I don't really pay attention to basketball.

Kayleb
Epic

Post by Kayleb » 23 Jan 2010, 01:20

Regaurding Karj's original post, I just had a quick look at the ABC/PS3 link up. You can pick what shows you want to watch for a 2 week period, that is the amound of time a episode is available. Bizzare concept, and if it should happen to pick up could be an issue for commercial television.

A similar thing is currently happening in England whereby the pay tv broadcasting services cannot compete with the range and abilities of the BBC because (from what i remember) the government is putting a tax per house which is greater than most pay tv subscriptions.

VIVA LA FREE TO AIR!!!

P.s. After actually reading the article (hehe yea) both IPL and google will probably come away veeeeeery rich. Worldwide coverage with royalities of adverts to each company. How many Indians in Melbourne.... ahhh second thought, make that Sydney?
Dr. Emmett Brown wrote: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
P.s. I<3 Penny Kari 'nique

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 23 Jan 2010, 01:51

@Plex Well I heard that in a discussion about cricket with a bunch of Indian and Pakistani dudes and a few other people. That's why I threw in the supposedly.

@Kayleb Well the IPL is something that all cricket fans over the world will love as opposed to say a domestic season. Most if not all of the best players in the world slugging it out for a few months, for free online... FTW. I'll be watching every inch of that shizz I can.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Plexi
Epic

Post by Plexi » 23 Jan 2010, 07:51

It certainly has the potential to go gangbusters.