Aboriginal Themed Dance Causes Offense

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Aboriginal Themed Dance Causes Offense

Post by Cartollomew » 22 Jan 2010, 18:02

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/newshome/6708262//
Sol Bellear of the New South Wales state Aboriginal Land Council told Reuters earlier in the day: "It's very offensive. We see it as stealing Aboriginal culture and it is yet another example of the Aboriginal people of Australia being exploited."
(emphasis mine)

Here's the thing: If you aren't prepared to let go of the tight hold you have on the "rights" to your own culture, then it will die. People will not pay attention to it, they will not learn about it, the culture will cease to be.

There's scant interest in Aboriginal culture as it is in Australia - to say nothing of the fact that different regions and tribes have totally different languages, dances and traditions, so to claim that this constitutes "stealing" your culture is just downright foolish.

This kind of thing (the dance) should be applauded - and if it's off base in terms of accuracy, it should still be applauded and you should take your sound bite opportunity to tell people to look into how things are done traditionally.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Re: Aboriginal Themed Dance Causes Offense

Post by Johnnyrico » 22 Jan 2010, 20:48

Sol Bellear = retard.
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Kayleb
Epic

Post by Kayleb » 23 Jan 2010, 01:16

Growing up in Alie pring (Alice Springs in the Outback of Oz) there are daily shows for tourist where they are encouraged to join in. The difference whether its on ice or red sand is a bit beyond me.
Dr. Emmett Brown wrote: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
P.s. I<3 Penny Kari 'nique

Derathius
Epic

Post by Derathius » 24 Jan 2010, 09:06

Kayleb wrote:Growing up in Alie pring (Alice Springs in the Outback of Oz) there are daily shows for tourist where they are encouraged to join in. The difference whether its on ice or red sand is a bit beyond me.
Never saw anything like that in Katherine for the couple of years I lived in the NT...

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 24 Jan 2010, 14:26

Derathius wrote:Never saw anything like that in Katherine for the couple of years I lived in the NT...
Yeh, but Katherine is a hole...

:-P

Seriously though, the gorge and hot springs were pretty okay, I guess.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Grouse
Epic

Post by Grouse » 23 Feb 2010, 18:46

Heh... I never knew you lived in Katherine, Dera!

Grouse was working at a roadhouse / take-away / restaurant / video library / motel in Kojonup (South West WA). The Chef had recently moved there from Katherine (NT, as Dera pointed out). And then the chef's F250 was delivered to his old address and he had to drive it a LONG way accross the desert.

Not really Grouse' idea of a fun week's driving too and fro'.

On topic: Garth Nix also had the "you can't steal the abos' dreamtime culture" issue arise from some short story work. It's mentioned in the commentary of his short story compilation Beyond the Wall.
"Beep ... ... Beep ... ... Beep ... Beep ... Beep Beep BeepBeepBeepeepeepeep

...went my sarcasm meter."

Sparton
Uncommon

Post by Sparton » 20 Mar 2010, 12:45

It's "stealing" because they didn't pay to use it.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 21 Mar 2010, 04:43

Sparton wrote:It's "stealing" because they didn't pay to use it.
Thank you for sharing that with us.

Grouse
Epic

Post by Grouse » 29 Mar 2010, 13:43

Cart, I think you're missing the point: SPARTON STILL EXISTS!

But Sparton, is there any possible "non-stealing" way to refer to Dreamtime or aboriginal legends/heritage? Bribe Compensate the elders? I would figure that because it's pre-disney that it would be public domain and anyone can use it for creative works...

Legend of King Arthur can be told/retold for profit without any Britons complaining, aye? Or is that not a valid analogy?
"Beep ... ... Beep ... ... Beep ... Beep ... Beep Beep BeepBeepBeepeepeepeep

...went my sarcasm meter."

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 29 Mar 2010, 14:37

The only times Arthur danced around naked he was totally smashed and couldn't remember if the dance he made was one on TV (unlike the aboriginals who do it sober and like it...)

Sparton
Uncommon

Post by Sparton » 29 Mar 2010, 22:47

I was being facetious actually, since I think that referring to this as "cultural theft" (for lack of compensation) is utterly preposterous.