Globalised Racism?

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Karjalan
Legendary
Re: Globalised Racism?

Post by Karjalan » 18 Jan 2010, 13:11

Philondra wrote:Well, most Americans have difficulty really understanding that the rest of the world does not think like them or have the same cultural background, even though they know it to be the case in an academic sense. One of the American girls that I know here has difficulty wrapping her head around the fact that not all black people are African Americans (in fact, the majority are Nigerian, but she has this mental block against calling black people anything other than African-Americans)
I can understand that, and I don't hate people for it... but this American rando news presenter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_StDMpVhDk) was being such a smug bitch about something she had no idea what she was talking about... like she was so happy to push the whole "racist" image onto another western country, dismissing people's counter arguments because she apparently knows better.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Oro
Rare

Post by Oro » 18 Jan 2010, 18:38

You could consider me "african amercashithole", but i'm not and by all means did'nt find the ad racist, there's so much sensitivity these days, i really HATE it, i grew up in South Africa, when apartheid was in form so this mean nothing to me, im posting to reply to OP karj, as a coloured, which is what they call us there (white dad/black mom) i just find these things trivial and stupid, this is oro being serious for once!
White wine please!

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 30 Jan 2010, 20:17

I always found the term "coloured" as fucking odd. It's like they are saying white isn't a colour to me, or that white poeple have some mysterious cameleon skin it just blends right into the surroundings or something
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine

Oro
Rare

Post by Oro » 12 Feb 2010, 22:19

Satrix wrote:I always found the term "coloured" as fucking odd. It's like they are saying white isn't a colour to me, or that white poeple have some mysterious cameleon skin it just blends right into the surroundings or something
Well its a mixture of a white and a black.."person with dark complexion" which leads to what they call coloured. Anyways, crickets boring!
White wine please!