Turkey Pardoning Tradition Lives On

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Turkey Pardoning Tradition Lives On

Post by Cartollomew » 26 Nov 2009, 17:49

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/glance/97625 ... s-a-turkey

Hokay.

Here's the skinny on this mildly weird event:
Each year the president is presented with two birds; one which will be publicly pardoned and a "backup" bird which will also be pardoned, but nobody ever talks about it.

Still following?

The backup bird is significant, because one year, the main bird was ill and they had to use the backup. Phew - shows the importance of planning.

Most recently the birds have been literally sent to Disney Land to live out the rest of their days not being eaten. Disney Land. For the 2 turkeys. One of which nobody even talked about for the one day they have in the spotlight.

Bear in mind these are absolutely freakin' huge birds, who, among other things, are incapable of breeding by themselves.

One wonders if life for a bird bred specifically to be eaten is really all that awesome once it's past the "best before" date.
United States presidents have the power to pardon wrongly convicted prisoners and their authority extends to saving turkeys set for the slaughter.
The turkey wasn't convicted. The turkey most certainly wasn't wrongly convicted. The fact that each administration in the US can take part in an event that is effectively making light of the death penalty bothers me slightly.

Fortunately, this issue was addressed by President Bartlet - the one the US should have had, except that Bush got in, and Bartlet was actually fictional.

There isn't really a point to this post, it's just interesting to note that sometimes often surreal things happen with no fanfare.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Philondra
Legendary

Re: Turkey Pardoning Tradition Lives On

Post by Philondra » 26 Nov 2009, 17:55

You must have missed the Sarah Palin turkey pardon fiasco last year (governors do it too -- not just presidents.) She gave an interview after she pardoned the turkey, and it was very easy to see that she, uh, didn't have someone tightly controlling her image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i2QWh2CIxk

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Re: Turkey Pardoning Tradition Lives On

Post by Cartollomew » 26 Nov 2009, 18:14

Oh God her voice grates.

Yeh, I remember that - a very Fargo sorta scene.

This is why you do your pardoning at the residence or whatever. Doing it at a place where they slaughter turkeys is probably counter productive.

At least he wasn't woodchipping the turkey she'd just pardoned...

...or was he?
Last edited by Cartollomew on 26 Nov 2009, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Go go gender specificity
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!