Learner Driver Ticks Every Box

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Learner Driver Ticks Every Box

Post by Cartollomew » 04 Sep 2009, 11:48

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-na ... -fa7i.html

Speeding L-plater caught sending SMS

A learner driver has been caught texting a friend and not wearing a seat belt as her mother sat in the passenger seat sipping coffee.

The 16-year-old girl was pulled over in Ryrie Street, Geelong about 2pm on Thursday afternoon.

Police say they spotted her "furiously texting on her mobile phone while trying to drive".

Her mother, who was sitting in the front passenger seat, was reportedly drinking coffee and looking out the window.

When police asked her what level of supervision she was providing her daughter, she allegedly replied, "How can I do anything? I have a terrible headache."

The 16-year-old girl was fined $227 and was given three demerit points.

PSYDUCK!
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Re: Learner Driver Ticks Every Box

Post by Johnnyrico » 04 Sep 2009, 16:26

they need to bring back corporal punishment.
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 04 Sep 2009, 16:52

Johnnyrico wrote:they need to bring back corporal punishment.
Are we beating the mother or the daughter?

Actually, either way I don't think you can cure stupid recklessness with beatings.

Rather than demerit points though, for something so patently foolish I'd like to see them just cancel her permit and tell her to come back in 2 years time.
That said, there are still people who'd just drive sans license. /sigh.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Kayleb
Epic

Post by Kayleb » 04 Sep 2009, 19:28

this kind of stuff makes my blood boil. :evil:
Dr. Emmett Brown wrote: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
P.s. I<3 Penny Kari 'nique

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 04 Sep 2009, 20:58

i would have given the mother points on her licence
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 05 Sep 2009, 02:42

Mitra wrote:i would have given the mother points on her licence
Actually, yeh, that's a good point - technically she had (or should have had) a certain degree of control over the vehicle and driver. Hmm.

Sparton
Uncommon

Post by Sparton » 05 Sep 2009, 15:44

I'm pretty sure that in NSW there are no demerit points for learners, but any offences simply cancel your license. What are the Victorians thinking?

Plexi
Epic

Post by Plexi » 05 Sep 2009, 16:05

Perhaps they are looking for another way to be better than NSW. And defeat them at the holiday road toll.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 05 Sep 2009, 16:14

Sparton wrote:I'm pretty sure that in NSW there are no demerit points for learners, but any offences simply cancel your license. What are the Victorians thinking?
http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/newsevents/do ... system.pdf

Hmmm.

I guess it's pretty rarely an issue - L platers are typically pretty law abiding, in part because they're scared out of their brains and in part because they have someone responsible (usually) looking over their shoulder. Any laws they breach are probably accident or inexperience rather than deliberate negligence or foolhardiness.

In WA there's a similar system to Vic (and apparently NSW, soon) where one can clock up enough demerits on their Ls that as soon as they get their Ps, their license is suspended.

It's an eyebrow raising thought to follow.