Confused... Who is the Super Genius?

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Dropdeadqt
Legendary
Confused... Who is the Super Genius?

Post by Dropdeadqt » 28 Aug 2009, 15:59

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25 ... 09,00.html

Read the atricle... I dunno what to make of it.
A SEVEN-year-old British boy was celebrating after passing a maths exam normally undertaken by students more than twice his age.

Jude Alli, who took the test when he was six and received a D grade, said he found maths easy and had been "very excited'' to sit the exam.

"I was just trying to learn and learn and learn,'' he said.

His mother said her son had shown intelligence from an early age, walking when he was just seven months old and talking when he was little more than a year old, the Independent newspaper said.

High school students across Britain received their exam results yesterday, called GCSEs or General Certificate of Secondary Education.

Another boy, eight, breezed through the maths exam, which is normally undertaken by 16-year-olds.

Xavier Gordon-Brown is thought to be the youngest person to have obtained an A, the highest mark for a GCSE, the BBC reported.

Xavier reads maths text books for pleasure and according to his mother, knew his times tables by the age of two-and-a-half.

"When he does something he likes to do it well but the exam didn't bother him. To him it's just maths,'' his mother Erica said.

"He hasn't been hot-housed. He sets himself very high standards and to be honest it can drive me to distraction sometimes.''

Xavier also plays three musical instruments and speaks three languages.
What the fuck?

I dunno what relevance the 6year old has. I have no idea who is the actual 7 year old. As far as I can tell, a D is now considered a pass mark and his mum talks probably over highly of her son (which I would imagine is nothing short of 'done by every mother who gives a shit about her child').

~_~.

Then the last line...
Oh and he plays 3 musical instruments and speaks 3 languages
Like, yeah let's just tack that shit on the end.

Kayleb
Epic

Re: Confused... Who is the Super Genius?

Post by Kayleb » 28 Aug 2009, 16:18

I think either of the two boys should have written the article... probably would of done a better job
Dr. Emmett Brown wrote: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
P.s. I<3 Penny Kari 'nique

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 28 Aug 2009, 16:55

Jude Alli took the test when he was six, but is now seven and has received his results.

The other kid was slightly older, but I guess they added it to pad out the article.

What they don't mention is that most of these kids go on to lead pretty straightforward lives - they're just unusually accelerated in childhood. The ones who wind up at uni early are at risk of failing due to social factors, and then go back to uni later on with everyone else.

/yawn

But you know, parents are allowed to be excited if their kids do well, no matter how much I roll my eyes.

It's the ones who are excited and think their kids are hot shit when they really aren't that annoy me the most.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 28 Aug 2009, 17:54

Cartollomew wrote:
It's the ones who are excited and think their kids are hot shit when they really aren't that annoy me the most.

^ Even if your kid is an uber prodigy I really hate people whom have to rub it in everyones faces and think there child is so great. Hatters mum sees genius in every child and apparently thats how she knows their "hers" cos they are so super intelligent like she is. Cough cough makes my ears bleed every time I used to have to listen to it. Parents who see something because their child is walking or talking faster also annoy me every child has their own pace, being forwards isn't a sign of genius (more like the parents patience imo).

As for the child in the article I feel more soory for him. His a genius and because of it his going to be constantly picked on and likely bored out of his mind doing the stuff kids his age are on. Being told his special a million times a year is likely to make him under acheive just to prove his normal (well thats my theory any way).
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine

Sparton
Uncommon

Post by Sparton » 29 Aug 2009, 00:28

So many tall poppies being chopped down in this thread.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 29 Aug 2009, 01:52

Sparton wrote:So many tall poppies being chopped down in this thread.
Nah, it's not the poppies themselves, but the people who own them and the people who write articles about them.

PSYDUCK!
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Sparton
Uncommon

Post by Sparton » 29 Aug 2009, 14:18

Nonetheless, I read this article and went "ah, isn't that lovely. Good show!"

Then I read the comments and wow, the hate.

It was unexpected, and depressing.

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 29 Aug 2009, 17:05

It's not tall poppy syndrome.

It's the redundancy of the inclusion of the first kid, then about parents who hyperbolise their childs "genius" aspects. No one ever wants to hear about how great YOUR kid is, it's like saying you have a better spouse or your fridge runs so much better than yours. No one cares.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Fishsauce
Uncommon

Post by Fishsauce » 29 Aug 2009, 18:26

OMG!!! i say give them a trial!!!