Archbishop told abuse victim to 'go to hell'

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Valkiyre
Rare
Archbishop told abuse victim to 'go to hell'

Post by Valkiyre » 11 Aug 2009, 12:02

i was reading this and could not help laugh That a man of god Got away in saying that to the victim

Link
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/848 ... go-to-hell

Lol
"The archbishop later apologised to the woman but last night told The Age he "did not recall" his comments. "

the Devil got him hahahaa

Karjalan
Legendary

Re: Archbishop told abuse victim to 'go to hell'

Post by Karjalan » 11 Aug 2009, 19:17

It reminds me of how some religions force a woman to marry a man who raped her so the child was not born out of wedlock..... OR how some just kill the raped woman (usually by stoning, and not the good kind) because she had sex out of wed lock....
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Sparton
Uncommon

Post by Sparton » 16 Aug 2009, 23:43

Waaait a second.

You're an old man about to fly overseas, it's 1 am and some woman who has been pestering you recently shows up and rings your doorbell over and over. What the hell would you say?

Worse still, this happened five years ago. Why is the Age "reporting" it as news now?

They don't care about the woman at all, they didn't even mention the abuse after the lede until the last line. They're just interested in knocking Dennis Hart... again.

Boring.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 17 Aug 2009, 00:15

Sparton wrote:Waaait a second.

You're an old man about to fly overseas, it's 1 am and some woman who has been pestering you recently shows up and rings your doorbell over and over. What the hell would you say?
If I were a representative of the Church, I would probably say something more in line with Christian behaviour.

Then again, if I were a representative of the Church, I wouldn't be an Archbishop.
Worse still, this happened five years ago. Why is the Age "reporting" it as news now?
Because the court case is happening now, and this is something which has been brought up in court.
They don't care about the woman at all, they didn't even mention the abuse after the lede until the last line. They're just interested in knocking Dennis Hart... again.

Boring.
Yeh, church bashing is pretty standard fare with what passes for journalism in Australia.

However, Hart is an Archbishop (and was at the time of the incident), and he's no doubt well aware that he's subject to great scrutiny from the press - at the very least his actions are ill advised.

You wouldn't hear this story coming from Perth's Archbishop, for example (although that's probably more because Hickey is as boring as dirt).

But yeh, your point stands - this is pretty much an attempt at making a non-story look bigger than it is.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Sparton
Uncommon

Post by Sparton » 17 Aug 2009, 14:14

Cartollomew wrote:If I were a representative of the Church, I would probably say something more in line with Christian behaviour.
Of course, though it has been the consistent teaching of Christianity that each person possesses a fallen human nature, thus even archbishops are prone to fail in times of weakness - I reckon this counts.
Because the court case is happening now, and this is something which has been brought up in court.
Really? I didn't gather that from my reading of the article. It appeared to me that they reached a settlement in 2006.
Yeh, church bashing is pretty standard fare with what passes for journalism in Australia.

However, Hart is an Archbishop (and was at the time of the incident), and he's no doubt well aware that he's subject to great scrutiny from the press - at the very least his actions are ill advised.

You wouldn't hear this story coming from Perth's Archbishop, for example (although that's probably more because Hickey is as boring as dirt).

But yeh, your point stands - this is pretty much an attempt at making a non-story look bigger than it is.
Actually I remember a few years ago when the big parliamentary debate about Embryonic Stem Cell Research was going in both the WA and NSW parliaments, both decided they would have a go at their city's respective Metropolitan Archbishop. Both Hickey and Pell were summoned to hear charges of contempt of parliament, on the basis that influencing Catholic politicians was an undue attempt to influence parliamentary actions.

If memory serves both Abps had the charges tossed out, since they were merely doing their jobs according to Canon Law (instructing Catholics in the requirements of the Catholic Faith). This was especially prominent in Sydney, where the Herald tried (once again) to drum up a child abuse scandal about Big George.

Truth be told, I do wonder why more hasn't been said about Perth's new cathedral. It looks like Australia's first Catholic Mosque, and that can't be going down well with the people of Perth.