Fail Webmin costs millions

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Fail Webmin costs millions

Post by Cartollomew » 22 Jul 2009, 16:05

Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Re: Fail Webmin costs millions

Post by Johnnyrico » 22 Jul 2009, 18:57

err coz i dont work in IT, i dont get the punchline:

Anyone wanna explain that line of code to a non-programmer? O_o
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 22 Jul 2009, 19:06

I'm no programmer, but I glean from it is that if the user tried to use Opera, it takes them to an error page/message.

Kinda thinking that's a bad thing to have on the Opera servers.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 22 Jul 2009, 19:16

*Opera Software makes a web browser, called "Opera".
*They need to buy new hardware for a service they offer - new hardware to the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars (millions of kroner - dirty scandinavians)
*Different hardware vendors deliver samples for Opera to test, hoping Opera will buy their stuff
*One vendor, we'll call them "Bell", delivers a server with a web control panel, containing a piece of code which explicitely fails for the Opera browser.
That is: The web page is instructed to redirect to an error page if someone tries to visit it using Opera.

It's almost like an architect submitting new building plans to a wheelchair manufacturer and having nothing but stairs everywhere.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 22 Jul 2009, 23:44

you're last example would have been better served with the name M.C Esher and this image Image
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010