Homeopaths Convicted of Manslaughter

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Homeopaths Convicted of Manslaughter

Post by Cartollomew » 02 Jul 2009, 19:44

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 41,00.html

All in all, this is pretty damn sad.

Some things to take away from it, however:
He also told police in an interview the day after Gloria's death he would "definitely" have sought conventional medical treatment for Gloria if he had known how serious her condition was.
Note that that's a homeopath saying that he would have taken a serious case to be treated via actual medicine instead of woo.
To find the Sams guilty, the jury had to be satisfied that the couple owed a duty of care to Gloria as their infant child and that they "omitted to obtain appropriate medical care" for her when they returned to Sydney from a trip to India 11 days before she died.
Legally, this indicates that we don't recognise homeopathic treatment (on its own) as "appropriate medical care". This is excellent.

Of course, woo peddlers will cry foul, and claim that "allopathic" conspiracies convinced the jury to make that ruling. /sigh
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Vampirial
Legendary

Re: Homeopaths Convicted of Manslaughter

Post by Vampirial » 03 Jul 2009, 13:10

I remember reading this last week. Its pretty damn sad that they could see there methods werent working and still did nothing. I'm glad they got convicted though should of been murder not manslaughter.
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine