CNN.com and bad article titles

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Philondra
Legendary
CNN.com and bad article titles

Post by Philondra » 26 Jun 2009, 12:51

Whoever writes the shortened article titles for CNN.com really needs to get someone to double check to make sure that it actually matches up with what the article is saying. Here's the story in question:

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/US/06/25/co ... index.html

Here is the long article title, which is appropriate:
Video of church's 'casting out' gay 'demon' in teen sparks anger
OK, there is a video of a church performing an excorcism to rid a teen of evil homosexual desires. People are not happy about this. The title matches the content of the article.

Here is the short title that appears on the front page:
Video of gay 'demon' ritual sparks anger
This makes it sound like there is a satanic homosexual cult out there; or a gay demon out there performing pagan rituals; or gay people pretending to be demons and holding unholy rituals. And people are pissed about it.

I wish journalists/editors would be a bit more careful about this kind of stuff.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Re: CNN.com and bad article titles

Post by Cartollomew » 26 Jun 2009, 13:01

I think it's the journalist's equivalent of premature ejaculation - there are so man exciting buzz-words to be used WHAT DO I DO? WHAT DO I DO?

SKWEHHHHHHHHHH.

Oh dear. We'll just write down what I have and try again later...
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

dukkha
Epic

Re: CNN.com and bad article titles

Post by dukkha » 26 Jun 2009, 13:04

I'm not entirely certain that sort of thing is accidental or unintentional. I've seen a number of articles where the main header gives a very different idea to the article, but is not 'technically' inaccurate. Often the title matches a little closer to the ideological slant of the publication.