Jury rules against Minn. woman in download case

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
dyer
Rare
Jury rules against Minn. woman in download case

Post by dyer » 20 Jun 2009, 03:00

Booooooo , Seems a bit excessive. I could understand a fine to discourage folks from illegally downloading. I think 100 dollars per song would send the same message to anyone caught. I guess the legal fees would far outweigh them enforcing at 100$ per song. I feel terrible that this one persons singled out when the problems rampant on the web.
Tyjaa-Level 49 Orc Hunter Mannoroth
Yedi-Level 80 Dwarf Priest Saurfang
Dija-Level 62 NE Priest Saurfang
Hamhands-Level 70 Dwarf Rogue Medivh
Misslead-48 Ne Hunter Saurfang
Haj-70 Taj Tauren Druid Smolderthorn

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Re: Jury rules against Minn. woman in download case

Post by Cartollomew » 20 Jun 2009, 14:28

Further:
http://recordingindustryvspeople.blogspot.com/

It'd be comically stupid if it weren't for the fact they've ruined this woman's life (even if she'd won).

Obviously it's going to another trial, and we'll see if the judge is technically inept enough to buy what the RIAA is selling.

Some of the instructions to the jury were way off base too. Utterly ridiculous, but it can't continue this way.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Kayleb
Epic

Post by Kayleb » 20 Jun 2009, 16:36

I would only pay $80,000 for a song if is mad orgasm... multiple times.

That’s ridiculous, I chose not to download music out of respect to the musician etc, but I think by awarding such a huge amount of money the only example they're setting is the lack of common sense.

In what way are they achieving any example of people who pirate (mass distribution)? Be prepared for bankruptcy?
Dr. Emmett Brown wrote: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
P.s. I<3 Penny Kari 'nique

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 20 Jun 2009, 18:26

Cartollomew wrote:rediculous

AMG!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 20 Jun 2009, 20:48

Xact wrote:
Cartollomew wrote:rediculous

AMG!
Fuck off. I'm sick and I haven't been sleeping properly.

Like you've never missed an opportunity to be an alcoholic womaniser.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 20 Jun 2009, 20:50

Kayleb wrote:I would only pay $80,000 for a song if is mad orgasm... multiple times.

That’s ridiculous, I chose not to download music out of respect to the musician etc, but I think by awarding such a huge amount of money the only example they're setting is the lack of common sense.

In what way are they achieving any example of people who pirate (mass distribution)? Be prepared for bankruptcy?
The theory is called "Make available".

They're claiming that the songs she had in her shared folder were available to be downloaded, and therefore cost them thousands upon thousands in theoretical sales.

That may or may not have happened.

Personally I think she should have been fined in "theoretical dollars" to make up for the imaginary sales they lost, but then, I'm no judge. :roll: