I don't want to wear the uniform- FIFTY MILLION YOUR HONOUR!

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
I don't want to wear the uniform- FIFTY MILLION YOUR HONOUR!

Post by Cartollomew » 16 Jun 2009, 13:01

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/5654770

Okay, I've never really been in such a position... but really. I'm failing to see the issue here. If you don't want to wear the uniform, quit the job. Despite what you were told as a child: You may be a snowflake, but you're really not special.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Karjalan
Legendary

Re: I don't want to wear the uniform- FIFTY MILLION YOUR HONOUR!

Post by Karjalan » 16 Jun 2009, 14:34

I agree with the rulling, I mean it is both sexist and against her religion, obviously she could just quit the job but it sort of falls under discrimination. It's kind of like "we now require all women to wear no bra, and low cut tops that reveal at least below their nipples.... if you don't like it quit". You force them to sacrifice their job or demean themselves in a way they may not wish to.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 16 Jun 2009, 14:49

It's a uniform. It's a bar job.

Harden up.

It's not like she was an architect or something - she's a public facing employee in a service job. If she doesn't wear the uniform, it ceases to be a uniform.

She has a course of action available to her - stop working there.

You don't demand compensation for this kind of thing.

And have you seen the dresses? It's hardly strippers' garb.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 16 Jun 2009, 14:53

You are making up scenario specific excuses for a straight forward law. "It's ok to discriminate in THESE circumstances" maybe the amount she won was a bit high or whatever, but the luur is the luur (as Sylvester Strokeface would say)
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 16 Jun 2009, 15:06

Cartollomew wrote:And have you seen the dresses? It's hardly strippers' garb.
I would like to see the uniform

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 16 Jun 2009, 15:07

Pooey

Not even good.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 16 Jun 2009, 15:23

Karjalan wrote:You are making up scenario specific excuses for a straight forward law. "It's ok to discriminate in THESE circumstances" maybe the amount she won was a bit high or whatever, but the luur is the luur (as Sylvester Strokeface would say)
Note that it's okay to discriminate in these circumstances:

-Men and women have different uniforms.
-Men and women get different leave arrangements.
-In certain cases a certain percentage of the workforce has to consist of one "minority" or another.
-Etc etc etc

We already have special circumstances built into the law. We do discriminate - whether you call it "positive discrimination" or "affirmative action" or whatever.

Sometimes applying discrimination yardsticks doesn't make sense - the article mentioned (pointlessly) that she was a Muslim. Should we suggest that they discriminated against her because of her religion too?

If you don't wear the uniform, it's the business' prerogative to not give you any hours.

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 16 Jun 2009, 15:28

Well, the article says that the court rejected her claim of wrongful dismissal, for pretty much the reason you stated, Cart.
However, I've never understood why women have to wear sexy uniforms but men don't.

Fuck that. If you get to see cheesecake I want to see beefcake.

midi
Legendary

Post by midi » 16 Jun 2009, 17:24

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ soak rifts or riot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 16 Jun 2009, 19:19

@Karj; How is it discriminating? Jobs require certain standards and obligations, not meeting any of these obligations is grounds for dismissal. A business has the right to change whatever it wants (within laws etc) and if someone doesn't agree with these changes then they either need to adapt, hash out a compromise or leave. Example being a bar could literally turn itself into a strip club (Licensing and all that), tell the current staff; Tits or GTFO and it should be seen as fair. Obviously that's an extreme example.

Religion and sex have nothing to do with this when it really comes down to it. The rules got change, she didn't like the rules, refused to follow them and paid the consequences.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 17 Jun 2009, 14:09

I don't think women should be made to wear stuff they aren't comfortable wearing. Saying that if she applied for the job in the first place knowing what the uniform was then she just sounds like she was out for some $$ to me. Sure its harsh but in any sort of retail work people want to see eye candy especially in a bar, check out most bar uniforms and you won't see anything thats not similar :S
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine