Man-Made Global Warming? Or... CONSPIRACY!

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Man-Made Global Warming? Or... CONSPIRACY!

Post by Cartollomew » 08 Jun 2009, 14:00

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/5635299

"I intend to take some of the graphs and the charts that I've actually got from Tuesday, and ask her to explain why what they've put forward isn't credible," he said.

Nope, man-made.

Fielding is so totally not getting back into parliament come next election, and he knows it.

Also: If he's an engineer, the quality of our tertiary education system needs work.

Edit:

Further...
Fielding wrote:Well, I think what hasn't happened so far is a debate on the science, and so what I want to do is take the information that I've currently got, and give it to the Rudd Government and their scientists, and see what they say about it.
Sweet mother of God... does this guy actually think there hasn't been a debate on the science?
There's been a debate on the science, tiger... in the scientific community. By... you know... scientists. Using science.
If there's one place there should not be a debate on the science, it's parliament.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Re: Man-Made Global Warming? Or... CONSPIRACY!

Post by Cartollomew » 08 Jun 2009, 17:52

For those who wish to research this conspiracy controversial topic accepted theory:

http://www.realclimate.org/

Bad Astronomy:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badas ... r-induced/

In particular, look at the reasoning behind the arguments given.

It is also important to remember the difference between an idea and a theory (in the scientific sense).

From the B.A. article:
*The Earth is getting warmer.

*We are dumping more CO2 and other greenhouse gases into the atmosphere.

*A little greenhouse effect is a good thing (otherwise the average temperature of the Earth would be below the freezing point of water). Too much, however, is Venus.

*Some of this global warming is due to human causes. This is fact. The question is, how much?

There are political and ideological ramifications of global warming, and a lot of people — politicians, in fact — have a lot at stake and are known to twist science to meet their needs.
Emphasis mine.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

dukkha
Epic

Re: Man-Made Global Warming? Or... CONSPIRACY!

Post by dukkha » 08 Jun 2009, 18:00

A useful link for brief commentary on global warming denial theories. One of which was published by David Bellamy in the Australian recently... It's actually a very good example of the standard inanity if you feel like an irritating read. Find it here