Chaser is still... you know... doing their thang

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Chaser is still... you know... doing their thang

Post by Cartollomew » 04 Jun 2009, 12:51

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/5 ... -skit-kids

Oh boo hoo.

The Chaser is hardly appropriate viewing for a 7 year old.

Or people who don't understand that they aren't making fun of terminally ill children.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Tassia
Rare

Re: Chaser is still... you know... doing their thang

Post by Tassia » 04 Jun 2009, 13:53

helping thousands of kids to lower their extravagance and selfishness in the face of death.
Charming.

I've had friends and family die to cancer but I still laugh at cancer jokes.
I've had friends and family die in car accidents but I still laugh at car accident jokes.
I've had friends lose young children. I've seen what this does to them.

I know they're not serious, but as a parent, I cannot imagine anything worse than watching your child die.
Slowly.

For them to even say the above quote with tongue in cheek, just shows a complete lack of empathy and compassion.

PS. I generally like what these guys do, but in this case, regardless of what message they were trying to get across, they were fucking idiots.
Ghostcrawler wrote:Adding poisons to FoK is actually a pretty hefty buff.
The "pop enrage" for rogues.

Takius
Legendary

Post by Takius » 07 Jun 2009, 02:12

I laughed my arse off at it. People need to take comedy less seriously.
Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 07 Jun 2009, 06:29

The whole world has gone mad with PCness...I mean I know there are vile people who are actually racist/homophobic/sexist/religionististist.... But defaulting the ill intentions of some onto the actions of others pisses me off.

Everyone to their own though. I know some people have more personal reasons to react to something a certain way. My best friend when I was 9 died of cancer then my favourite relative (grandma) and one of my best friends mums in my later years also died of cancer.... I still found it funny. I personally think people's ability to disassociate certain events from their own personal lives is kind of sad.... But then maybe I'm a heartless cunt
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 07 Jun 2009, 13:22

i think this is more a case of the media deciding to create some controversy.

like they tried to do with the previous weeks "melbourne club" skit
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 10 Jun 2009, 20:00

Mitra wrote:i think this is more a case of the media deciding to create some controversy.

like they tried to do with the previous weeks "melbourne club" skit
Welp, if so, they've had some success:
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/entertainm ... aser-skit/

ffs... I understand if it's your job to approve or deny this sort of thing, then you have to take responsibility, but really... it's not like they broadcast live killings or something.

If this is likely to be the way they deal with controversy in the future, dibs not being the person in charge of comedy.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 13 Nov 2009, 13:40

There is a truly exceptional media lecture given by Julian Morrow on the ABC's iView:
http://www.abc.net.au/iview/

(Props to the ABC for making almost all their content available - boo to the ABC for doing it entirely in Flash, so we can't link to a specific item)

You're looking for the "Andrew Olle Media Lecture" - feel free to skip the first 5-10 minutes before Morrow starts talking.

Morrow puts forward some insightful (possibly "inciteful") and and intelligent points:

-Why some television should offend someone (lest we arrive at TV that offends nobody)
-Who the people are who take offense to TV content, and their significance
-The importance of independent and responsible creators and broadcasters, and how to go about creating the right environment for this to be possible

(among many others)

He addresses the "Make a Realistic Wish" sketch in detail, and I strongly recommend viewing this no matter what your stand (also, it's funny).

Apologies to people who do not currently reside in Australia - I suspect the ABC will have done the standard BS thing and blocked access for you.