Interesting Theory

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Xact
Legendary
Interesting Theory

Post by Xact » 28 May 2009, 19:54

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Mc ... _evolution
McKenna theorized that as the North African jungles receded, near the end of the most recent ice age, giving way to savannas and grasslands, a branch of our tree-dwelling primate ancestors left the forest canopy and began to live in the open areas outside of the forest. There they experimented with new varieties of foods as they adapted, physically and mentally, to their new environment.

Among the new food items found in this new environment were psilocybin-containing mushrooms growing near the dung of ungulate herds that occupied the savannas and grasslands at that time. McKenna, referencing the research of Roland L. Fisher,[16][17][18][19] claimed that enhancement of visual acuity was an effect of psilocybin at low doses, and supposed that this would have conferred an adaptive advantage. He also argued that the effects of slightly larger doses, including sexual arousal, and in still larger doses, ecstatic hallucinations and glossolalia — gave selective evolutionary advantages to members of those tribes who partook of it. There were many changes caused by the introduction of this psychoactive mushroom to the primate diet. McKenna hypothesizes, for instance, that synesthesia (the blurring of boundaries between the senses) caused by psilocybin led to the development of spoken language: the ability to form pictures in another person's mind through the use of vocal sounds.

About 12,000 years ago, further climate changes removed psilocybin-containing mushrooms from the human diet. McKenna argued that this event resulted in a new set of profound changes in our species as we reverted to the previous brutal primate social structures that had been modified and/or repressed by frequent consumption of psilocybin.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Re: Interesting Theory

Post by Cartollomew » 29 May 2009, 01:19

Mmm, interesting, but not one I have a lot of time for.

It would be difficult (to say the least) to try to test or observe such effects on the mental development of primates; I also don't know what would have lead him to make such a hypothesis (other than his obvious interested in psychedelics).

It should be noted that drug use (including hallucinogens) among animals is widespread, and there are parts of eastern Europe where deer are known for eating hallucinogenic mushrooms. Apparently much of the active ingredient is passed through the urine - it is politely suggested that people refrain from urinating in the open, for fear that a deer might mistake your stream of relief for its next high.

I guess if the question is, "is it possible that hallucinogens played a part in the development of our social foundations and structures?", then the answer would be "sure, why not?"

But if you're suggesting that the lack of hallucinogen use has resulted in the loss or decay of those social tools, I'd be asking for some kind of... um... evidence, first.

But I imagine it'd be an awesome idea to discuss around the bong (or biscuits if you're that way inclined) :-P
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Takius
Legendary

Post by Takius » 29 May 2009, 01:34

Interesting theory, but yeah would need many bongs and biscuits before we'd make any headway on the topic in my opinion.
Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Kayleb
Epic

Post by Kayleb » 29 May 2009, 07:52

John Lenon was right! who whoulda thunk it
Dr. Emmett Brown wrote: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
P.s. I<3 Penny Kari 'nique

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 29 May 2009, 14:06

Kayleb wrote:John Lenon was right! who whoulda thunk it
Stoners, apparently.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 29 May 2009, 14:10

Kayleb
Epic

Post by Kayleb » 29 May 2009, 16:51

freakin winrar alley!
Dr. Emmett Brown wrote: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
P.s. I<3 Penny Kari 'nique