Whoa... Biologist utterly pwns a Creationist

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Re: Whoa... Biologist utterly pwns a Creationist

Post by Cartollomew » 21 May 2009, 03:10

Leviat wrote:And the earth is billions and billions of years old and they know this as fact how? I guess to match the theory of evolution it would need to.
That the earth (and for that matter, universe) is billions of years old isn't really in dispute. The concept of a billions-of-years-old earth wasn't thought up to match evolution - it existed independantly of the theory of evolution. There is really very very solid evidence for this; far more compelling than the evidence supporting evolution (which is pretty strong in its own right).

Considering the universe, background radiation reductions pretty much perfectly match expected levels - the graph and science involved is exciting for the people who study that kinda shit, but xkcd illustrates it far more entertainingly:

Mr Wiki has a good synthesis of a number of sources (at least to my uneducated eye - Mitra would know better).

For the earth, usual estimates are based on radiometry. The classic non-science argument against this method of estimation (of anything - earth, petrified trees, fossils) is that it's hideously wrong when used to measure recent items. For example, a 50 year old bone might be estimated at a few hundred thousand years old.
The science counter-argument in this case is that radiometry is accurate, but only precise to the nearest million or so years. If I asked you to take a garden variety ruler and measure something only a nanometre in length, the ruler would still be accurate, but nowhere near precise enough for the job at hand.

Which is why we don't use radiometry to try to measure the age of "young" things. Someone who literally holds the values present in the guesstimates of a bronze-age tribe will take umbrage at the very idea of being able to measure something older than 6000 odd years, so it's pretty much a deadlock at that stage. But unless you have a predisposition to be suspicious of anything not presented in the Bible, there's no reason to believe the universe (and earth) aren't a hellova lot older than 6000 years.

Again though, just because science disagrees with something found in Torah, doesn't mean that one has to take an all or nothing approach in reading it; science doesn't (and cannot) disprove God, as a creator, and interventionist or anything else found in various religious texts. Science does not preclude faith, and faith should not preclude science.
Its really odd, but watching the discovery channel and seeing scientists exploring other planets and finding water and carbon and w/e else needed to 'make' life, Ive found myself thinkin 'yea, could be..'. Why? Because this has been imposed on me my whole life. Since day one in science or biology class in schools ive been in. Force taught athiesm basically, and then going to church with the fam the following Sunday. Completely clueless as a child but absorbing the information forever to be in the back of my mind.
Far from being brought up within a culture of science, let alone atheism, we live in very much a theistic society. This honestly isn't an issue (unless your Richard Dawkins, but he's a complete dick).

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I've had religious beliefs imposed upon me, but as a child living in a faith practicing family, I've certainly had more of that thrown at me than anything remotely atheistic or science related.

Consider this: Coming from a strongly religious family, would it be more of a shock to announce a new found atheism to them, or to announce that you no longer have any faith in modern medicine, and will from now on only visit the naturopath for medical attention?

I find that it's far harder to ignore faith and religion (for better or worse) than it is to ignore science and critical thought.

Science as we practice it today is largely a new thing - the process of making conclusions based on repeatable observations of empirical evidence hasn't been mainstream for more than a few centuries at most. Even medicine has only become a science in the last 150 or so years - before then, it was closer to a craft than an art (medical attention in the old days would be more likely to kill you than the ailment).

The most important thing to remember about scientific method though, is that it has the emphasis on being wrong. If science is wrong about something, it's announced and accepted as being wrong, and people move on.

Flat earth? Proven otherwise by science.
Sun goes around the earth? Proven otherwise by science.
Earth being ~6000 years old? etc etc

What does any of this have to do with faith/religion/God? From a negative viewpoint, not a lot.
There aren't many atheist theoretical physicists (in fact, there aren't really that many atheists at all), but there are a lot of theoretical physicists with an extremely strong faith, based, in part, by the discoveries made in their area. This doesn't stop them being Christian/Muslim/Hindu etc. For many of them, the perfection with which the numbers match up suggests a creator. But the idea of a creator isn't mutually exclusive with the idea of the big bang or evolution.
Ive often wondered what exactly have they proven to give evolution merit. I understand its just a theory, and an extreme rough draft at that, to be proven or disproven. I remember when they found that skull that was the 'missing link', Lucy they called it or something like that. Turns out it was only skull fragments and a jaw of a pig. What happens when they credit something like that and it turns out to just be a hoax? Just say Ooops and brush it under the rug? It just seems convenient that we'll never see an evolved species/mutation per genetics, in our lifetime or not notice if it does occur.
This Lucy?
There are a number of similar fossil specimens as far as I know, but I've honestly never been much interested in the idea of "the missing link".

To say that any one specimen could be "the missing link" is pretty sweeping and stupid anyway, but modern science has a terrible track record when it comes to etymology (For example, "junk DNA", which is anything but, and "quantum teleportation", which paints completely the wrong picture for the average person).

It doesn't look to me as though there's been much evidence presented to show that it's a hoax, but maybe that was another specimen. Either way, science doesn't "sweep stuff under the rug" - the scientific community takes hoaxes very seriously and records pretty much everything. Scientists can't just make shit up - being discredited is pretty much the end of one's career.
Okay, im done rantin for now. Heres a good read http://www.ldolphin.org/wmwilliams.html
Ooh, book. Let's see:
Let it be understood, at the outset, that every proved theory of science is to be accepted. Only the most intense prejudice and the maddest folly would lead any one to reject the proved conclusions of science. Moreover, we should examine any new hypothesis with open minds, to see if it has in it anything truthful, helpful or advantageous. It should neither be accepted nor rejected simply because it is new. But if a theory is evidently or probably untrue, or pernicious, or at all harmful, it is to be rejected and condemned.
Actually, that's not entirely true. There are a number of Newtonian "laws", which have been "proven". We still use them, because they're still pretty much good enough for the macro world, but those "proven theories" have been superseded by advances in quantum mechanics. Science doesn't rest on "proved conclusions", it tends to just work with "what's good enough for now". Quantum mechanics is good enough to explain many of the questions we can currently pose, but it's entirely likely that in the future we'll find out something new that will push quantum mechanics into the same position as Newtonian physics - it'll do, but it won't be the best fit for the information we currently have at hand.
Gravitation is proved a true theory by numerous calculations, some of them the most abstruse.
This is patently misleading. The observable phenomenon of objects of mass attracting one another is accepted. The theories for why this occurs are not proven.
At this point I'm being pedantic and we'll never even get through the intro, so let's skip ahead.

Actually, I can't resist:
We shall not declare arbitrarily that evolution is untrue...
...marshal some of the mathematical proofs against the false and pernicious theory of evolution.
Seriously, nobody else found that funny? Okay...

3. Darwin goes a step further and concedes there may have been a Creator of matter, and of one, or at most, a few germs, from which all vegetation and all animals came by evolution--all orders, classes, families, genera, species, and varieties. He differs from Lamarck, by allowing the creation of one germ, possibly a few more. He says in his "Origin of Species," "I believe that animals are descended from at most only four or five progenitors; and plants from an equal or lesser number.
This has little if anything to do with the concept of what God has or has not created. We can't allow that God spontaneously generated a germ. The very idea is scientifically ludicrous, and Darwin would have said nothing of the sort. I've tried to find a quote from Darwin to suggest that he did make the claim "Oh yes, I believe that God created germs, but then took a step back and let everything carry on", but I can't find it. If anyone else can, let me know.

The concept of evolution needn't preclude the idea of a creator God. If one's belief is in an interventionist God (as it is with all major faiths), then the idea that God creates a germ and then takes no further part is totally bankrupt. The Catholic church has no issue with evolution, and nor do any mainstream Protestant denominations. Their very faith states that God has a hand in everything - ergo, is a creator. Whether that be through spontaneous creation or via a system of evolution, who the fuck cares?
It's God, don't argue with him, he seems to know what he's doing.

Besides, what's more impressive: the creation of man out of thin air, or the evolution of man over millions of years via subtle but exquisite changes within each generation? Frankly, instant creation is taking the easy way out.
A fifth theory of evolution is held by many. It is called polyphyletic evolution, which means that God created numerous stocks, or beginnings of both plant and animal life, which were subject to change and growth, deterioration and development, according to his plan and purpose. So much of evolution in this sense as can be proved, is in harmony with the Bible account of the creation of plants, animals and man. The false theory of evolution is called the monophyletic, which teaches that all species of plants and animals including man, developed from one cell or germ which came by creation or spontaneous generation. Evolution is used throughout this book in this latter sense, unless otherwise indicated by the context. God does not create by evolution, for it can only develop what already exists.
Part of the problem here is the insistence on bringing God into science. The theory of evolution doesn't mention God. It doesn't consider God. God isn't directly observable or measurable in a fashion that is meaningful to science, and he therefore cannot be the subject of any scientific theory (until such time as he becomes provable, somehow).

The first theory mentioned in this passage is put subtly, and it almost sounds reasonable; but what he's trying to say is that each and every species of animal and plant had a "seed" starter of their very own. Ergo, in his world, apes and humans grew from entirely different starting animals, and are unrelated. That they share variously 90-98% of their DNA with us, is presumably something he prefers not to think about.

At this point I'm no longer prepared to read on - this guy isn't interested in science, he's interested in faith. If he writes a book on theology, I'll read it, no problems.
The problem here is that his faith is threatened by the theory. It's a personal issue, and it has nothing to do with the science involved. His argument is pro-creationist more than anti-evolution. Scientists encourage the testing, questioning and threatening of the theory of evolution (and any other theory). But to propose something untestable (such as a creator God) as a scientific theory is an abuse of science. Creationism and intelligent design are not testable. They aren't acceptable alternatives to evolution.

There are tentative, plausible alternatives to explain life, but they don't have nearly the mountain of evidence possessed by evolution.

If someone doesn't believe that evolution was how the species of today came to be, that's fine. But if your belief is instead that all of the species were spontaneously generated, I can't accept that, any more than the idea that the solar system was plonked down ready made. Faith is not an acceptable replacement for science.
Leviat wrote: Not to mention the Bible has been changed so many times and there are so many different versions that are very inaccurate.

Those eternal consequences scare the hell outa me. Either you guys believing evolution are right or me believing in one
God am right. We'll soon find out
Out of curiosity, how does one tell between the versions of the Bible that are accurate, and the ones that are not?

Eternal consequences would indeed be very scary. If I believed in a vengeful, irrational God. I do not believe in such a God.

As I understand it, the Christian faith is based around a God who professes forgiveness and love - even to the extent of loving one's enemies. The very idea that such a God would then send one to eternal damnation for believing the wrong thing is, to me, abhorrent. If such a god exists, I would not want to worship him.

Again, the fact that I believe the theory of evolution is the most accurate explanation for life has nothing to do with a belief in God. A belief in evolution doesn't make me an atheist.

In fact, a belief in evolution doesn't affect my day to day life at all - it would be curious if that were enough to send me to hell.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Leviat
Common

Post by Leviat » 21 May 2009, 10:09

Irrational God?

The bible that is accurate is the one I have in my home. Thats just how it is. There are so many versions and interpretations. Bibles that have other cultures and extreme beliefs (in my opinion) absorbed to the point that I feel it deludes what I believe is the true word of God. Granted, there are many faiths in the world and religious beliefs that revolve around the idea of a single divine God. Christianity is becoming less popular due to the changing world and the things that are becoming more socially accepted, homosexuality for example, which is detested in the word of God that states the union is between man and woman. What it comes down to basically believing the existence of God. I dont feel required to believe the history. The fact is I believe in God, and it brings peace and lifestyle, especially being in the military and my trials.

Did God part the Red Seas for the Hebrews leaving Egypt? Or was the son of God crucified and buried, and rise again the third day? Fun ideas? Just great stories? God created man in his own image and left them to their own devices, after, of course, he created the earth and universe in 6 days resting on the seventh( Id be tired myself). This is more romantic than God made some amoebas and they created the earth as we know it now. Face it, you may never see resolve in your belief in your lifetime. It might one day be utterly dismissed as a whole, but belief in God has been around since day one, whenever that was, as there is no room to disprove any of it. There is room, however, to create rational explanations for the events that take part in the bible (Proof of the world flood is there, but has been waved off as a large tidal wave caused by a meteor hitting the earth some time ago, explaining crustaceans and other aquatic remains in the middle of continents today.) Is either fact? Is either false? Fact and religion are not good bedfellows, and will not work and shouldnt be used in the same sentence ever again. Notice how many times I said believe in the first paragraph.

And cmon lol. I dont cower around my house pissing myself everytime I think about going to hell. The fear of God is there, sure. The anology is that God is the shepard and His followers are the sheep; call me a sheep, idc.

There are those people, just like the one who wrote the book i linked that feel compelled to disuade you and convert you to general creationalism. Its hard wired into the religion. Ive often thought of it as a spreading disease among the world, a good disease if there is such an animal. They will preach to you until your blue in the face saying anything that will work to convert you. It looks like this is just a modern method and effort in doing so.

Basically my first post was to get a question out there, but apparently everyone here has masters in biology and science and wordologyism, and have tons of resources on tap lol. Keep it going though, its interesting to see how this works.

dukkha
Epic

Post by dukkha » 21 May 2009, 11:41

I have trouble remaining unemotional in these arguments, which is why I tend to avoid them (and, for example, deleted about half of the original of this post) , but a few points:

Firstly, here is a link to what is meant by the word theory, in a scientific sense (wiki). I realise most/all of you know this, but the tendency to assume the 'theory of evolution' is just a theory in the sense of 'I have a theory that 9/10 people like chocolate ice-cream' is utterly incorrect and leads to a lot of the misconceptions regarding evolution.

Secondly:
The bible that is accurate is the one I have in my home. Thats just how it is. There are so many versions and interpretations. Bibles that have other cultures and extreme beliefs (in my opinion) absorbed to the point that I feel it deludes what I believe is the true word of God.
This is a big part of my problem with religion and sums up why I think biblical literalism is entirely irrational. There are hundreds, if not thousands of different iterations of the bible, let alone the other holy texts and all of them have undergone serious editorial control at different political times.

This aside, a significant portion of the bible is based in parable. They are stories told to encourage or codify a particular form of behaviour, which were considered important and relevant at the time, not necessarily true stories of a long time ago. There is also the issue of misinterpretation of biblical tracts, as the historical elements are forgotten. The good samaritan is a perfect example of this. Most people I know forget that the samaritans were despised by the jews at the time (and vice-versa) and so a large part of the parable is that you can see moral behaviour from those you hate and disagree with, just as much as you will from those within your religion. And for the 'world is 6000 years old' crowd; My understanding is that part of this is based off the whole earth created in 7 days business. Why on earth does everyone assume that a day for 'god' (whatever you believe that to be) is the same as a day for us? If you look upon the tale as a parable for the gradual formation of the universe it makes so much more sense (and even includes evolution to a certain extent). A day may translate to an eon, in which case it begins to agree (to a certain extent) with scientific evidence.

That being said, I am a gnostic atheist and was raised agnostic, so I'm coming at this at a very different angle to most.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 21 May 2009, 12:26

At this point, Lev, you're discussing philosophy and religion - not science. This is why the guy in the OP refuses to argue with creationists. There isn't any point in me trying to present my position to you in a fashion you'll understand, and there isn't any point in you trying to present your position to me in a fashion I'll understand.

Given we're approaching the same concept from two entirely incompatible world views, I'm going to bow out of discussion within this thread.

One thing though:
Leviat wrote:...apparently everyone here has masters in biology and science and wordologyism, and have tons of resources on tap lol. Keep it going though, its interesting to see how this works.
No we don't. Mitra has a very solid physics degree, but I have no completed formal (tertiary) education in science. I also don't have a masters in wordologyism, but if such a thing existed you can bet your burro I'd be studying it straight away.

The point is that, despite studying science in primary and high school, the idea of "science" as something practiced by spectacle wearing buffoons somewhere in an ivory tower is a prevailing one in our society.

Science isn't relegated only to those "qualified" to practice it. Science is an application of critical thought, and you don't need a degree to practice critical thought, any more than you need a degree to practice mathematics.

Certainly there are some scientific concepts that I will never be able to understand - but I can understand their consequences and I can look at and follow the process of critical thought that was used to address them. Every last person has the right to practice and apply science in any given scenario and argument, regardless of qualification. Likewise, every person, regardless of qualification, is as vulnerable as their weakest argument - if the Grand High Professor of Theoretical Physics skips a step in his argument, he can be called out by anyone who spots it. And he'll be wrong.

It's delicious.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Leviat
Common

Post by Leviat » 21 May 2009, 13:00

Wow, I hadnt realized I had done that. Its easy to do. But as soon as the mention of God comes up, its tied. Since a single superior being has no place in science, I can honestly now see how you cant argue one over the other. Apples and oranges.. nuff said? All this has sparked a gear in me noggin tho. Very interested, but now that your gone Cart I guess Ill have to look it up for myself. Thanks for the insight brah. Ciao

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 21 May 2009, 19:11

On the topic of Evolution

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/video ... ssing-link

Also, Attenborough is my hero. I once thought all British sounded like him and was most impressed... then I met a young lass from Cornwall.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Zoetica
Rare

Post by Zoetica » 21 May 2009, 21:14

Leviat wrote: The bible that is accurate is the one I have in my home. Thats just how it is. There are so many versions and interpretations. Bibles that have other cultures and extreme beliefs (in my opinion) absorbed to the point that I feel it deludes what I believe is the true word of God.
I am sorry but after reading that I have to put my 2c in.

I don't know how anyone cannot see that Christianity is one of the most extreme beliefs coming from the bible, if your going to compare it to other beliefs that have their own interpretations. The American government is based around strong "Christian" values, often resulting in what? War, invading countries that have clashing beliefs and TV evangelists that scare the absolute crap out of me. Nearly 1/5 of the ENTIRE world currently holds the Muslim belief and it is the job of the extremist crackpots that give this interpretation of the bible a bad name, hence alot of people believing that any Muslim person to be "extreme" in belief. The extremists themselves are the problem, a tiny percent, not the religion itself or the way a religion is interpreted from the Bible. This includes said TV evangelist types.

On topic of the bible, I do believe any person that actually believes that the events happened to be real, as being people that lack imagination or require it as a tool to do bad things, relying on the soft mooshy brains of said un-imaginative people to gain power over them.

A nice quote from Bill Hicks:

Every time a scientist, philosopher, artist, or athlete pushes our thresholds to new ground the entire race evolves. [...Regressive] behavior is left to the psychotic, dogmatic, fundamentalist believers you see on your T.V. everyday letting off bombs and killing people in the name of God. Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning. A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. Believe in nothing..."

Back to the original article now, I remember the whole Science vs ID debate happening a few years ago when it was being pushed to be taught in schools. To be honest, I don't mind if they teach kids that as long as it is put into context. Like, instead of saying "Hey kids, if I catch you reading Darwin's "Origin of the Species" you will get an F", you teach them about all religions and scientific theory as a whole and let them make up their own freaking minds.

I think it is important for people to be educated in all religious and scientific beliefs because when it boils down to it, we just don't know. What the scientist in Cart's original article was arguing, was that Evolution > Creationism because science has the most "proof". I personally do agree with this, however I don't believe that you should completely abandon belief in something *bigger*. It doesn't have to be a biblical god. Evolution is a scientific-backed starting point, though there are unanswered questions that Mew addressed that I find fascinating. The most important question (to me) is: Where in our evolution was the *point* when our minds clicked over from ape to human? When did we start to feel things like a sense of our own mortality, the urge to be creative and the ability to think technically? I love the answer in 2001: A Space Odyssey (yes gogo Sci-Fi references :P) which introduced an ambiguous alien object into the world at this time (in this case, a plain black sublime rectangular shaped black box), which would nudge our minds into thinking this way. Was divine intervention necessary for us to evolve?

Once again, there is no *proof*, only in the holes of Darwin's theory. Personally, while I don't know what to believe, the thought of Divine Intervention does help explain things and gives a sense of attachment to something bigger than us. But then again religion has always been a way to *haze* over our big questions into easy answers so I don't know :o

TBH though I wish people would just accept each other so the world can unite and get to doing better things than war and fight over land and religion. Like explore space more and repair our planet for fucks sake. Or we could just kill all Jews, Muslims and Christians and then get to doing these *better* things, LOL.
Last edited by Zoetica on 21 May 2009, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

Leviat
Common

Post by Leviat » 21 May 2009, 21:34

I uh... ?

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 21 May 2009, 21:54

Zoetica wrote: TBH though I wish people would just accept each other so the world can unite and get to doing better things than war and fight over land and religion. Like explore space more and repair our planet for fucks sake. Or we could just kill all Jews, Muslims and Christians and then get to doing these *better* things, LOL.
Like your MUM
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

dukkha
Epic

Post by dukkha » 21 May 2009, 22:03

Zoetica wrote:Back to the original article now, I remember the whole Science vs ID debate happening a few years ago when it was being pushed to be taught in schools. To be honest, I don't mind if they teach kids that as long as it is put into context. Like, instead of saying "Hey kids, if I catch you reading Darwin's "Origin of the Species" you will get an F", you teach them about all religions and scientific theory as a whole and let them make up their own freaking minds.

I think it is important for people to be educated in all religious and scientific beliefs because when it boils down to it, we just don't know. What the scientist in Cart's original article was arguing, was that Evolution > Creationism because science has the most "proof". I personally do agree with this, however I don't believe that you should completely abandon belief in something *bigger*. It doesn't have to be a biblical god. Evolution is a scientific-backed starting point, though there are unanswered questions that Mew addressed that I find fascinating. The most important question (to me) is: Where in our evolution was the *point* when our minds clicked over from ape to human? When did we start to feel things like a sense of our own mortality, the urge to be creative and the ability to think technically? I love the answer in 2001: A Space Odyssey (yes gogo Sci-Fi references :P) which introduced an ambiguous alien object into the world at this time (in this case, a plain black sublime rectangular shaped black box), which would nudge our minds into thinking this way. Was divine intervention necessary for us to evolve?
I have to strongly disagree there. Creationism (which is what ID is, without the fancy name -designed primarily to get around certain US court rulings, might I add-) should not be taught in school because it is not a 'legitimate theory' within the context of the evolution debate. It's not even junk science, because it's not science. It's not disprovable, which is a basic requirement of science. If people want to teach it in religious classes, that's fair enough (or in a philosophy focused subject), but it should never be touched on in science. Ever. Comparing Evolution and Creationism is like comparing gravity and the idea that the we can't float away because the air is too heavy.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 21 May 2009, 22:30

Zoetica wrote:..you teach them about all religions and scientific theory as a whole and let them make up their own freaking minds.
Religion is religion. Science is science.

You don't teach one as the other.

Science isn't really a matter of someone making up their own minds - there are things that the scientific community knows to be true.

This is why we have fluoride in the water (or in salt) in most 1st world countries.
This is why governments strongly encourage or enforce vaccination.
This is why we let people fly on planes and drive cars.

We don't say "if you decide to believe that the car will work for you, you can drive". Cars work.*

We know that the species on earth evolved from more primitive starting organisms. Evolution works.
In this sense, evolution is a fact, the same way "cars can move people from place to place" is a fact.

We don't know how evolution works. In this sense it is a theory.

The reason we can emphatically say "ID has no scientific merit and is unscientific" is because it furthers nothing. If we were to accept ID as fact today, it would mean we just stop researching the origins of life.

Strange as it may seem, religion and belief honestly isn't the problem here. It's a general ignorance when it comes to what constitutes science.

Religion isn't science - this is why there isn't any actual controversy within the scientific community when it comes to evolution. The only controversy comes from those who refuse to apply science. But the car still works, whether they want to believe it or not.
Zoetica wrote:TBH though I wish people would just accept each other so the world can unite and get to doing better things than war and fight over land and religion. Like explore space more and repair our planet for fucks sake. Or we could just kill all Jews, Muslims and Christians and then get to doing these *better* things, LOL.
Would we put an end to wars and bickering by abolishing religion? Of course not. I realise you were being flippant, Zoe, but human beings are perfectly capable of being inhuman without the need for dogma or religious difference to push them into it. There are plenty of sensible, clear thinking believers in the world - they just make less noise than the others.

*By the same token, as far as believers are concerned, God is. It doesn't matter whether someone believes in God or not; if the entire human race turned into atheists, God would still be. So it doesn't matter to a sane believer what science discovers about the origins of the universe, just as it doesn't matter to a sane scientist what faith teaches about the origins of the universe. The two can live perfectly well, side by side. But one is not the other.

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 21 May 2009, 22:50

Zoe, you're all over the place. Having a hard time to find your viewpoint, but I'll try.

Creationism shouldn't ever be n the same room as Evolution. They're incompatibly comparable. Evolution is tested on the basis of SCIENCE, where Creationism is founded on the basis of FAITH. This is what Carts original link says. It wasn't saying Evolution > Creationism, it was saying Evolution > Creationism in the realms of science. (A side note: Evolution doesn't have proof, it has evidence. Proof =/= Evidence. Proof is conclusive, evidence isn't). Creationism has no scientific "legs" to stand on.

Next, evolution and the idea of an all powerful celestial being aren't mutually exclusive. If (somehow) evolution is ever proved be conclusively (nigh impossible scientifically) correct then it won't suddenly destroy millions of peoples beliefs or be the absolute denial of the existence of a God. If it did then those faiths are pretty flimsy to begin with.

Ok, teaching all religion and scientific theories would be nigh impossible in any sort of educational curriculum. The problem is that the theories/religions are so vast and numerous that to teach it all, would take YEARS. What I do agree with is giving people (especially children) a choice (This is why I don't like religions being taught to impressionable childrens minds) and making ALL the information available.
The only real "problem" with evolution being taught in schools is that it goes directly against creationism which is FAITH based, which in turn can be seen as undermining the parents teachings on their faith to their children. It's not a matter of "Who's right?", it's a matter of "I don't want my children questioning our faith because of dinosaurs", or in some cases, questioning it all. I digress.

I don't think there was any point where our ancestors went *click* and suddenly they started creating, thinking and questioning. Remember evolution takes place over a very large significant stretch of time (Millions of years. Recorded histories are literally a drop in the bucket), it's not a light switch that was suddenly flicked. If you're looking for an answer for that then you'll never find it, because we simply don't know (right now), and trying to even give plausible answers to this is just beyond ridiculous.

If you're trying to make it fit in your head for your own peace of mind, then you can seek your own answers however you wish. Fact is, you can't ever know what IS correct, you can guess and maybe hold some satisfaction in that your guess MAY be right. I for one am happy to remain ignorant on the subject until it can be proven; It doesn't affect my day to day life and I doubt it ever will.

AND DONE. Also the lining up of 4xCreationism was a complete accident.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Zoetica
Rare

Post by Zoetica » 21 May 2009, 22:59

Oh that last comment about killing all Jews etc was a joke btw *headdesk*. And I think some people have missunderstood what I was saying about teaching religion in schools.

I'm not saying teach Creationism, but if they have to teach something give kids a chance to understand that this debate exists, That there is a science answer and a religious one, and many people hold different beliefs (or both) and that there isn't a definate answer.

For clarification: I don't think people should be taught this ffs! i just didn't articulate myself that well as usual. Zzz.

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 21 May 2009, 23:53

Zoetica wrote:Oh that last comment about killing all Jews etc was a joke btw *headdesk*. And I think some people have missunderstood what I was saying about teaching religion in schools.

I'm not saying teach Creationism, but if they have to teach something give kids a chance to understand that this debate exists, That there is a science answer and a religious one, and many people hold different beliefs (or both) and that there isn't a definate answer.

For clarification: I don't think people should be taught this ffs! i just didn't articulate myself that well as usual. Zzz.
That's another reason for my PSYDUCK! earlier... i could see this expanding way too much, as these things always tend to do.

and don't worry Zoetica I'm pretty sure everyone saw it as a joke
if you want something that people don't find funny http://antiprejudicead.net/ (from a comedutainment* show in australia that discusses the mechanisms of advertising)

*comedic-educational-entertainment

and on letting them know the debate exists - something I've often heard reffered to as "teach the controversy" you will find that there are a lot of people opposed to it for the reasons Cart and Muse outlined. People think it shouldn't be taught in science class because it isn't science at most they will agree that flaws in a theory should be taught for sure. When I was being taught physics it was brought to my attention that newtons laws work perfectly well for low velocity objects but that the theory doesn't match observations for objects with very high velocity (ie near the speed of light). but it's greyer with evolution because as far as many scientists are concerned - the holes in evolutionary theory only exist because there isn't enough evidence/ no example has yet been found.

I'd like to reiterate my view that I think of the bible as a book which allows you to grow as a person and allows you to develop a way of looking at and living in our world. and as long as your interpretation isn't directly injurous to others, ie no suicide cults etc. no human sacrifice. I have no Gripe with you or your views.
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 24 May 2009, 06:55

But the real question that can never be answered is.....

Did the chicken, or the egg come first?

/HEADEXPLODE
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur