Whoa... Biologist utterly pwns a Creationist

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Mitra
Legendary
Re: Whoa... Biologist utterly pwns a Creationist

Post by Mitra » 24 May 2009, 13:11

well from an evolutionary point of view ----- the dinosaur
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Takius
Legendary

Post by Takius » 25 May 2009, 20:42

That really brightened my day. Thanks cart - we can all use a laugh here and there.
Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 27 May 2009, 11:30

Karjalan wrote:But the real question that can never be answered is.....

Did the chicken, or the egg come first?

/HEADEXPLODE

I remember discussing this in uni - I think they decided on the correct answer being the chicken. I forget all the reasoning but if you think scientifically about it the first chicken didn't necessarily originate from an egg, but the first chicken that laid the egg set the whole thing in motion :P

Also cart loved your explanation on science. I had a few friends who were doing other degrees and theres was so damn rigid there was never any leeway or any point discussing that the lecture was maybe talking out of his ass to you. I Had a lot of teachers that said hey if you think what I'm saying is shit then that is ok but you damn well have to be able to have a viable theory as to why and we can debate it from there. And it did happen a fair bit especially in some of the fields that are very recent in their discovery. It's probably why I prefer science to religion to: get with any scientist and providing you have a valid point and some evidence to back yourself up most are willing to listen to you to try and dispute / debate ideas in a formal manner.

Religion on the other hand there is no point ever arguing that cos most people just cannot even concede that the other side might have a valid theory. In saying that my argument against people who say well my god is the "right" one - how the hell do you explain egyptian gods? Norse gods? etc etc - all those things pre BC that now are labeled mythology but to the people of the time were what they believed in heart and soul. Makes you wonder if humans are still around in 1000 years if they will be sitting back discussing the mythology of the christians, anglicans, jews and islamics etc.
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 27 May 2009, 11:58

Satrix wrote:[...] all those things pre BC that now are labeled mythology...
You mean like Spirit on plate and non-warrior tanks?
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 27 May 2009, 12:00

Muse wrote:
Satrix wrote:[...] all those things pre BC that now are labeled mythology...
You mean like Spirit on plate and non-warrior tanks?
LLAAAAWWWLLLLLL

I was just thinking the same thing when I saw pre BC, well not exactly the same but yeah
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 27 May 2009, 12:08

totally, if you talk to people who never played vanilla wow they think your making it up!!!! and you remember when greens didn't have attack power or SP but only 2 normal stats!! Its the wow religion conversion.
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 27 May 2009, 12:48

Satrix wrote:Religion on the other hand there is no point ever arguing that cos most people just cannot even concede that the other side might have a valid theory.
Religious and philosophical debates are not without purpose; but again, you need people who are well versed in theology to be able to effectively hold an argument - just as I couldn't hold an argument with someone about string theory, since I don't know enough about it to discuss the finer points (or, frankly, the broader ones).

With theological debates, the main thing to remember is that there is a lot of common ground; both parties can acknowledge this and work from the points they agree on to make sure they can actually get somewhere.

Argument isn't utterly bankrupt just because it has no mathematical or empirical ground to rest on - people can still discuss and critique art, literature, movies - and just like science and religion, many many people do so without understanding finer points. It hasn't been a problem for them so far :-P

In fact, pretty much the only field of human endeavour I can think of where argument is wholly one sided, is mysticism. Don't bother arguing with a mystic, not only are they always right, but you'll end up feeling really unsettled about it afterward.

As a result, I haven't met many scientists who like the concept of mysticism.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 27 May 2009, 14:44

Satrix wrote:totally, if you talk to people who never played vanilla wow they think your making it up!!!! and you remember when greens didn't have attack power or SP but only 2 normal stats!! Its the wow religion conversion.
This is funny, because I just fired up my mage last night for the first time in over two years, and it was utterly SHOCKING some of the gear she has. Like... wow.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 08 Jul 2009, 16:16

Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 08 Jul 2009, 19:41

Lisa Park of the University of Akron cried at one point as she walked a hallway full of flashing images of war, famine and natural disasters which the museum blames on belief in evolution.
Jesus....

I guess that's kind of a pun but fuck me.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur