Catholic Church's Reaction to Dan Brown's latest... thing...

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Catholic Church's Reaction to Dan Brown's latest... thing...

Post by Cartollomew » 15 May 2009, 19:03

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8037538.stm

Pah, another example of the Church overreacting to the formulaic writing of a...

What?

Not overreacting you say?

Hmm... where the hell are all the fringe-crazies who can usually be counted upon to cry about Harry Potter or The Da Vinci code? Were they busy gaining plenary indulgences or something?

Either way, it makes a pleasant change to see something sensible coming out of the mouthpiece of the Catholic Church.

PS
Dan Brown is a hack. But not evil. Televangelists - they're evil.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Mews
Legendary

Re: Catholic Church's Reaction to Dan Brown's latest... thing...

Post by Mews » 15 May 2009, 20:16

Dan Brown can suck my balls.

I think the Vatican finally realised that being bitches about it just gave it more publicity.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 16 May 2009, 06:00

I laugh at them bitching at "the golden compass" (Northern Lights - Book) which is far less religiously specific....

And mew I don't think ANYONE will learn that... It is funny to see it in practice though... The only reason I watched that southpark episode where the virgin mary statue perioded on the popes head.... was because the Catholics cried about it.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 18 May 2009, 02:16

i saw the movie, and there are some serious script changes made for the film.

It it is my understanding that Ron Howard and the executive producers had to make certain changes to the movie script as requested by the Catholic Church in order to obtain such exclusive film rights.

Good movie tho.
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 18 May 2009, 11:00

Johnnyrico wrote:It it is my understanding that Ron Howard and the executive producers had to make certain changes to the movie script as requested by the Catholic Church in order to obtain such exclusive film rights.
Hmm... whereabouts did you read/hear that?

Frankly, any of Brown's stuff can only get better with script changes - he's been writing the same book over and over (I may be jealous, but I'M NOT BITTER).
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 18 May 2009, 11:11

didnt read it anywhere cart. More of an assumption i made after read the book several times (screw you guys i enjoyed it) and then seeing the movie.

Look at it this way cart, your comparing Ron Howard vs Dan Brown. Whatever you decide, you still lose.
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 18 May 2009, 11:25

Johnnyrico wrote:Look at it this way cart, your comparing Ron Howard vs Dan Brown. Whatever you decide, you still lose.
Ron Howard has Arrested Development.

I choose to overlook his Brown related transgressions.

Takius
Legendary

Post by Takius » 18 May 2009, 12:22

Yeah Ron Howard isn't that bad, I went and saw it last week and honestly its not that bad of a movie if you totaly ignore the script and the concept and focus on the acting, cinematography and use of light.

Dan Brown is a fairly poor writer to be honest and I was sick of his books after reading the two that were later turned into movies. But you have to admit he seems to have tapped into the faceless mass of sheep we call the publics imagination.

Btw does anyone else feel this sentence is poorly writen?
"But maybe they should be a stimulus to rethink and refresh the way the Church uses the media to explain its positions on today's burning issues."
Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.