Sarah Palin defends Miss California

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Philondra
Legendary
Sarah Palin defends Miss California

Post by Philondra » 14 May 2009, 13:37

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0509/22511.html

OK, let's take a quick look at this:

* Miss California is an anti-gay marriage activist. I disagree with her, but she can say what she pleases.
* Someone releases scandalous pictures of her in an attempt to get her title revoked. Not very nice, but I can understand why.
* Miss California assumes that this is related to her stance on gay marriage. Probably 100% true.
* There is a discussion about whether or not Donald Trump will remove her Miss California title. Donald Trump ends up forgiving her. Fair enough.
* Sarah Palin releases a statement defending Miss California and praising Donald Trump for not revoking the Miss California title. Fair enough, since Gov. Palin is very conservative too.

HOWEVER, Sarah Palin says this:
Sarah Palin wrote:"I respect Carrie for standing strong and staying true to herself, and for not letting those who disagree with her deny her protection under the nation's First Amendment Rights," Palin said.

"Our Constitution protects us all - not just those who agree with the far left."
Since when is the Miss California/Miss America pageant thing a free speech issue? Private organizations have the right not to allow people to join if they disagree with those people's opinions. The Miss America pageant is not a public entity, so free speech rights don't apply.

It's just like if I show up to work and start screaming obscenities at my boss, I can be fired. Good job at not understanding the constitution.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Re: Sarah Palin defends Miss California

Post by Cartollomew » 14 May 2009, 13:55

She's a governer, she doesn't need to understand the constitu-

Oh.

Cheap shot time!

In the case of Palin's daughter, marriage is between a... there, there.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 14 May 2009, 14:25

Cartollomew wrote: In the case of Palin's daughter, marriage is between a... there, there.
Between a rock and a hard place?

(Rimshot)

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 14 May 2009, 14:29

Philondra wrote:... a hard place?
Must.. resist... urge... to pun...
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 19 May 2009, 15:17

Vaguely on topic, this comic has become a favourite of mine (though it spends the first 100 or so strips not doing much):
See more comics from Calamities of Nature

Also a winner is the recent set on Mensa.

Takius
Legendary

Post by Takius » 20 May 2009, 13:14

Excellent point.

I am of the view that the conservatives of this contry forget the true definition of liberalism.
Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 20 May 2009, 13:16

Tits or GTFO?

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 25 May 2009, 18:08

Homosexuality is a serious matter

"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 25 May 2009, 18:25

I chuckled.