Swine Flu

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Re: Swine Flu

Post by Cartollomew » 02 May 2009, 01:39

Mitra wrote:must be getting senile in my old age
I hear that.

Whut?
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 02 May 2009, 05:40

April 30th Daily show, has some good swine flu lols, as well as some Large Hadron Collider lols...

Good stuff

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=JHFNQNSE

Awesome interview with Huge Jackman
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 04 May 2009, 17:15

Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 09 May 2009, 10:42

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 09 May 2009, 12:09

What a crock. It's.Just.The.Flu.

I also laughed HARD at this "precautionary" measure.
She was screened and swabbed at the airport, given a mask and went to stay with her family, who live in Brisbane, while awaiting test results.
Those masks do preciously DICK to stop/impede the spreading of any virus. All they do is make you look like an asshat... unless of course it's a Scream mask, then you look cool.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Lellybaby
Legendary

Post by Lellybaby » 09 May 2009, 12:47

fuck Brisbane is infected... i'm dead... who wants my stuff :(

Juke a DK/Warrior, Die Anyway ._.

Tassia
Rare

Post by Tassia » 09 May 2009, 13:18

They've found the source.

Ghostcrawler wrote:Adding poisons to FoK is actually a pretty hefty buff.
The "pop enrage" for rogues.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 09 May 2009, 13:46

Muse wrote:Those masks do preciously DICK to stop/impede the spreading of any virus. All they do is make you look like an asshat... unless of course it's a Scream mask, then you look cool.
Eh, the virus is primarily carried through saliva droplets, which would be caught in the mask - I guess it stops her from breathing out into someone's space or coughing on them or something.

If nothing else, it makes people keep their distance and hopefully they'll feel dirty enough when they see her that they'll wash their hands.

Louis Pasteur must be rolling in his grave.

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 09 May 2009, 15:09

Cartollomew wrote:
Muse wrote:Those masks do preciously DICK to stop/impede the spreading of any virus. All they do is make you look like an asshat... unless of course it's a Scream mask, then you look cool.
Eh, the virus is primarily carried through saliva droplets, which would be caught in the mask - I guess it stops her from breathing out into someone's space or coughing on them or something.

If nothing else, it makes people keep their distance and hopefully they'll feel dirty enough when they see her that they'll wash their hands.

Louis Pasteur must be rolling in his grave.
Exactly, although small amounts of saliva are strewn into the air from even just talking, the amount of micro-jizz (heh) that's carried isn't enough to cause harm. The spreading of the virus via saliva can be easily minimized by standard hygiene practice, like covering your mouth when you cough/sneeze or as you said, washing their hands more frequently.

It fucks me off that this shit isn't being dealt with rationally and logically. Yes it's a problem, no it's not a pandemic about to kill off millions. If it does, we can only hope it's millions that aren't us, or more specifically not me.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 09 May 2009, 16:42

i think the masks play off the feeling that yes i may look like an asshat, but how much of an asshat would i feel if i knocked one back and then got swine flu.
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 09 May 2009, 18:13

How many fucking times will the media "cry wolf" on the world coming to an end over viruses/diseases/flu's that aren't going to do jack except trim the weak before everyone tells them to shut up....

THEN OF COURSE, as the story goes, we WILL actually get a flu that will kill us all, and when the media tries to warn us we will tell them to STFU and all die.... WHHHHHEEEEEEE
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 09 May 2009, 20:11

<-- thinks the world is overpopulated
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 10 May 2009, 01:19

*Technically, Swine Flu is on the verge of pandemic. The problem is that people don't really understand what that means.
It's like "recession" - there's a set of conditions dictating what constitutes a recession. Some are worse than others, nobody really knows for sure how bad going in.

*Swine Flu could be really bad. But there's SFA we can do about it, beyond taking better care of hygeine and not kissing pigs/people who've just come back from Mexico. Past flu pandemics have killed large numbers of the world's population - Spanish flu just after WWI killed 50 million people. That's more people than died in WWI.

But that's not any reason to panic - the risk is there, but we just don't know.

Hope for the best, but prepare for worst - unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a wealth of good quality information going around on what those two steps entail.

Takius
Legendary

Post by Takius » 11 May 2009, 13:44

True, where as earthquakes are real.

Last edited by Takius on 12 May 2009, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
Once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 11 May 2009, 14:00

Hotlinking crits Takius for all of his humour.
Arnie wrote:Vair is your precious 'umour naow? Ha-ha-ha