Swine Flu

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Re: Swine Flu

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Apr 2009, 13:45

Looks like that guy could use some...

...oinkment?

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 30 Apr 2009, 13:46

LOLOLOLOLOL

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Apr 2009, 14:36

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/5532801

Oop, a toddler in the US has died.

As with "regular" flu, those who are most susceptible to death are the young, the old and the sick/those with weakened immune systems.

Be interesting to see where this goes from here. 6 is something along the lines of Madagascar (SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING.)
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Lellybaby
Legendary

Post by Lellybaby » 30 Apr 2009, 14:48

Cartollomew wrote:http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/5532801

Oop, a toddler in the US has died.

As with "regular" flu, those who are most susceptible to death are the young, the old and the sick/those with weakened immune systems.

Be interesting to see where this goes from here. 6 is something along the lines of Madagascar (SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING.)
If this is the same 23 month old they mentioned on Sunrise this morning, he is from Mexico and has only been in the US for 1 month.

I'm waiting to hear of deaths in places where health facilties are adequate, then i'll worry.

This, to me, feels like a plague caused by inferior medical facilities and lack of decent health services.

Juke a DK/Warrior, Die Anyway ._.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Apr 2009, 15:06

Lellybaby wrote:I'm waiting to hear of deaths in places where health facilties are adequate, then i'll worry.

This, to me, feels like a plague caused by inferior medical facilities and lack of decent health services.
It's not a plague, that's something different.

Pedantry aside though - people die from the flu all the time, even in countries where there are good medical facilities and health services. It's one of the reasons lots of effort and promotion goes into flu vaccines every year.

Don't get me wrong - the flu is a serious illness. In many cases when people say "I have the flu", they actually just have a bad cold.

WHO is worried about swine flu because it's yet another variety of flu that we may have to deal with, and because it's relatively new and unpredictable. It may well mutate further, and it may well do it in unexpected ways.

*but* - it's not worth panicking about. We have all the systems in place to manage outbreaks like this.

There are far worse diseases out there, that are extremely contagious - take ebola for example. But in the case of ebola, it kills everyone off before the sickness can spread too far.

I'll start panicking when we get a new disease with a high death ratio that takes a long time to kill comes along (and spreads like influenza).

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 30 Apr 2009, 15:57

Cartollomew wrote:
I'll start panicking when we get a new disease with a high death ratio that takes a long time to kill comes along (and spreads like influenza).
Solanum
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 30 Apr 2009, 16:32

Cartollomew wrote:I'll start panicking when we get a new disease with a high death ratio that takes a long time to kill comes along (and spreads like influenza).
Homosexuality.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Lellybaby
Legendary

Post by Lellybaby » 30 Apr 2009, 16:40

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostate

It can be accessed through the backside.

Many men would turn gay if they had it stimulated by the right person

Juke a DK/Warrior, Die Anyway ._.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 30 Apr 2009, 16:40

Muse wrote:
Cartollomew wrote:I'll start panicking when we get a new disease with a high death ratio that takes a long time to kill comes along (and spreads like influenza).
Homosexuality.
I believe it's pronounced "aids"
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Apr 2009, 18:37

Lellybaby wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostate

1) I don't know if achieving orgasm in a particular manner can alter one's sexuality

2) DERAIL EXTRA BONUS PLUS! Derail/Offtopic of the year award goes to Lel, for posting a link to the article on prostate in the swine flu thread :-P

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 30 Apr 2009, 20:19

Lellybaby wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostate

You assume I couldn't teach a female to tickle my prostate...
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Apr 2009, 23:42

Muse wrote:You assume I couldn't teach a female to tickle my prostate...
Exactly! Ergo, many gay men would suddenly find women attractive if they had a girl finger their anus? :roll:

By the by - when I get old enough that I start having to get my prostate checked out, I'm really hoping there's a better examination method.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 01 May 2009, 01:44

I think you guys are taking lel a LITTLE too seriously...

BTW mew, tickle my prostate, don't worry it's not gay if our dicks don't touch
Last edited by Karjalan on 01 May 2009, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 01 May 2009, 02:10

Karjalan wrote:I think you guys are taking lel a LITTLE too seriously...
Dammit Karj, if you're not going to take butt-fingering seriously, what will you take seriously?

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 01 May 2009, 05:49

Also I think it's a little obsurd that people still think you can "turn" gay, like it's a choice "hmmm do I want a skinny white, or a mochacino?" It's something you're born with, like blue eyes or a dead twin. Further on that topic I don't believe anyone is 100% straight or 100% gay.... to me there is like a 1-10 likerts skale, where say for example 1 is 100% gay and 10 100% straight and everyone comes somewhere between 3 and 8...

Oh yeah, on topic.... maj has the swine flu, so if I stop comming online, just assume i'm dead. There's no possible other explanation... oh well the recession might have bored me to death? Or global warming might kick in and make winter not so cold and keep me at a wonderful equalibrium temperature that.... somehow kills me.

[Edit]
P.S. yes I'm aware Likerts is actually a 7 point scale.... but 1-10 is easier to explain imo. Just cause I knew cart would want to point out the fallacy :O
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur