Swine Flu

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Xact
Legendary
Swine Flu

Post by Xact » 27 Apr 2009, 09:47

http://www.theage.com.au/world/swine-fl ... -ajms.html

Is this the end of the world (again)? Bird flu was pretty bad, some are saying this could be worse...

Equine influenza was just disgusting, horses with snot the size of a 10 pound ham flying out of their nostrils was disgusting, not to mention there was no racing/gambling!? (Why didn't anyone think of the children?)
theage.com.au wrote:Among the nations reporting confirmed cases or investigations were Canada, France, Israel and New Zealand.
It's fairly close to home, so if this does eventuate it could be a serious issue for Aus...

Karjalan
Legendary

Re: Swine Flu

Post by Karjalan » 27 Apr 2009, 10:19

Meh, if we all die we all die, no point getting worked up about something you have no control over. So get all your drinking, fucking, sucking, jerking, narcotics taking, three way fucking, and necro-fuck-philia out of the way nice and early.

Bird flu was blown out of proportion, a LARGE majority of deaths from it were already sick/dying and elderly people who had weaker immune systems... it wasn't like you are the spitting image of health, you walk past a sick peson and die 2 days later...

Mein papa was in charge the one person in NZ that got Sars, everyone hyped and freaked out, we weren't allowed to tell anyone cause then people would get all "don't come near me sars kid".... but really she barely suffered, got over it, no one else caught it... it was all blown out of proportion.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 27 Apr 2009, 10:26

What medications are available to treat swine flu infections in humans?

There are four different antiviral drugs that are licensed for use in the US for the treatment of influenza: amantadine, rimantadine, oseltamivir and zanamivir. While most swine influenza viruses have been susceptible to all four drugs, the most recent swine influenza viruses isolated from humans are resistant to amantadine and rimantadine. At this time, CDC recommends the use of oseltamivir or zanamivir for the treatment and/or prevention of infection with swine influenza viruses.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 27 Apr 2009, 15:44

The spread from animals to humans is very unlikely.

Keep eating bacon.

Additionally:

Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 27 Apr 2009, 15:52

"How long until the Swine Flu reaches me here in Madagascar?" <-- Never. It's fucking impossible to get a virus to spread to Madagascar.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 27 Apr 2009, 16:09

Philondra wrote:"How long until the Swine Flu reaches me here in Madagascar?" <-- Never. It's fucking impossible to get a virus to spread to Madagascar.
"President Madagascar! Somebody in Brazil sneezed!"

"SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING!"
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 27 Apr 2009, 16:46

bored media is ...bored, no diff from sars, which got blown way out of proportion.

Dont think this will be much different.
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 27 Apr 2009, 16:53

Bored and Lazy media... I'm surprised the front page doesn't read more like a fictional tabloid... oh wait they do /sigh

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 28 Apr 2009, 09:20

Just got back from the doctors, I don't have swine flu.

He seems pretty worried about it because unlike bird flu, swine flu has already transferred to humans, whereas bird flu etc hadn't previously been crossed over.

Or something like that.

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 28 Apr 2009, 09:40

yea thats why there was the big fuss over birdflu because if it does swap species there will be new mutations and possible DNA changes that noone can accurately predict what vaccine or drugs will work best. Sure they can stockpile what works in animals but bad luck if it don't work that way in humans (not to mention the phenomenal cost of stocking that many aswell). I don't know much about swine but from what I've studied on bird flu it does have the potential to take us back to the days when people died in masses during plagues. Even if its isolated to selected regions the resources required to stop an epidemic would cost big bucks, and you need to essentially shut down a country in isolation which lets face it no govenrment would do till its too late anyway. Look at swine flu if they think you've got it on a plane their gonna chuck a mask on you and try and isolate that person - not very helpful when everyone shares the same oxygen :P
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 28 Apr 2009, 09:42

so now scotland is now infected, and by scotland, i mean 2 people.

i love how everyone at work is panicking, and how fun it is to play devils advocate.
8?

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 28 Apr 2009, 09:45

I can understand the panic though. If 2 people are infected, from where did they catch it? who were they in contact with? Imagine having to try and track down all that info while in the process not infecting yourself. Then everyone will panic cos they have a cold >< Hospitals get flooded then real cases get missed. have to love mass hysteria.
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 28 Apr 2009, 15:18

and just wait till they start rising from the grave...
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 28 Apr 2009, 15:20

Mitra wrote:and just wait till they start rising from the grave...
Fking zombies on mah lawn!
8?

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 28 Apr 2009, 15:25

Mitra wrote:and just wait till they start rising from the grave...

And you all laughed at me for putting together my Zombie Survival Kit and forcing you to endure anti-zombie survival training!

Now who's laughing?