Go forth and multiply, stupid people

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Go forth and multiply, stupid people

Post by Cartollomew » 06 Apr 2009, 19:26

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... 62&ps=cprs

Okay, first up:
Your old testament is "high on big families", because it was written in a time when infant and adult mortality were both very high; it was a societal necessity.

I mean, sure, if your family is so nuts they refuse medical services - fuck away. You're gonna need a big family to make sure enough survive to support you in your old age.
(there are also additional cultural differences that account for a "pro big family" stance - I note that none of these crazy God-fearin' people are discussing the evils of eating shellfish or pork, but the old testament was reasonably specific on that count too)

Secondly:
I've had a few discussions with people lately worried about the "Idiocracy Effect".

While stories such as these may be an initial cause for worry, their claims that
'If everyone starts having eight children or 12 children, imagine in three generations what we'll be able to do,' " Joyce says. " 'We'll be able to take over both halls of Congress, we'll be able to reclaim sinful cities like San Francisco for the faithful, and we'll be able to wage very effective massive boycotts against companies that are going against God's will.'
...don't quite hold true.

For starters, if they're struggling just to provide for their families, they don't have the economic resources to make their "zerg rush" effective.
And while it's conceivable that they might sabotage modern education, I'd be surprised if that were successful beyond drinking age, even in the Bible Belt.

Bonus Question:

Demonstrate why, in spite of a trend for wealthier people to not have children, babies are not in fact, an inferior good (despite the fact I like to go around saying it, just to piss people off).
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Re: Go forth and multiply, stupid people

Post by Dropdeadqt » 06 Apr 2009, 21:10

Already happened, It's called "Most of Asia"

Kayleb
Epic

Post by Kayleb » 06 Apr 2009, 21:38

omg alley that is gold
Dr. Emmett Brown wrote: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
P.s. I<3 Penny Kari 'nique

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 06 Apr 2009, 23:36

Cartollomew wrote: Bonus Question:

Demonstrate why, in spite of a trend for wealthier people to not have children, babies are not in fact, an inferior good (despite the fact I like to go around saying it, just to piss people off).
because you are arguing about to casual effects that aren't directly related.
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 07 Apr 2009, 00:01

correction.
about a correlation between 2 causal effects
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 07 Apr 2009, 09:25

LOL ALLEY! ahahaha

They all have the same haircut :/
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 07 Apr 2009, 13:03

I thought this guy was extra special Rico.
Attachments
zergguy.JPG
zergguy.JPG (5.94KiB)Viewed 8278 times
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 07 Apr 2009, 14:09

Mew checkout the hand right below the chap you linked.

PSYDUCK!
Mews wrote:No Rico, it's a rhetorical question.
8?

Kayleb
Epic

Post by Kayleb » 07 Apr 2009, 14:26

so smoof, so slender
Dr. Emmett Brown wrote: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
P.s. I<3 Penny Kari 'nique

midi
Legendary

Post by midi » 07 Apr 2009, 14:36

That quote in your sig is so wrong kayleb, yet very funny.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ soak rifts or riot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯