There is no hope for the human race

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Mitra
Legendary
Re: There is no hope for the human race

Post by Mitra » 31 Mar 2009, 00:01

Cartollomew wrote:
Mitra wrote:additionally by making tax evasion a crime punishable by death manufacturing costs will rise in china as the greedy business men try to keep their current standard of living- thus saving local jobs.
If you aren't careful, Mitra, your tongue is going to shoot right out the side of your face.
indeed....

the first part was serious though.
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Vampirial
Legendary

Post by Vampirial » 01 Apr 2009, 21:06

I find chinas war on tibet to be worse, least in this case its only their own country their destroying. Not saying it isn't morally wrong but well china just seems fuked up glad hatter got out of working there he would of wound up dead for sure.
Caught a lite sneeze
Dreamed a little dream
Made my own pretty hate machine

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 01 Apr 2009, 21:52

and what the fuck is up with taiwan....

seperate country or what?
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Naoru
Epic

Post by Naoru » 03 Apr 2009, 13:39

Taiwan is a leftover from the civil war between the Guomintang and the Communist Party. During the Cold War Taiwan served as a convenient regional base for the USA to counter the threat of Communism. More recently, due the rise of America and China's economic dependency on eachother, Taiwan is becoming an awkward reminder of the Cold War. America vowed to defend Taiwan if China ever invaded etc etc.
Chain Heal is what Prayer Of Mending wants to be when it grows up... = P Silly priests

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 03 Apr 2009, 22:50

let me rephrase.

taiwan: part of the PRC or not??

our chinese exchange student says It is.

myself i'm pretty sure it is seperate

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 03 Apr 2009, 22:54

People from China think Taiwan is part of the PRC.
People from Taiwan think it's a separate country.

Most of the rest of the world has refused to take a direct stand. Including the USA. No one officialy recognizes Taiwan, except for some small nations. This is because they don't want to piss off China.

In reality, Taiwan is a very autonomous state, although lately there have been movements towards greater unification now that China is slowly become more liberalized and gaining status as an economic power.

It's a complicated question with no easy answer.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 04 May 2009, 18:52

China's ultimatum: smoke or be fined

Now that's effective health policy.

(in the sense that the last Australian government had an environmental policy)
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 04 May 2009, 18:55

I need to switch careers?