Ignore your instinct - think ffs

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Lellybaby
Legendary
Re: Ignore your instinct - think ffs

Post by Lellybaby » 09 Mar 2009, 16:48

don't make me beat you

btw if i told you my sources, i'd have to kill you

Juke a DK/Warrior, Die Anyway ._.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 09 Mar 2009, 16:51

Lellybaby wrote:don't make me beat you

btw if i told you my sources, i'd have to kill you
This'd be why the people teaching business stats never published anything peer reviewed...
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Lellybaby
Legendary

Post by Lellybaby » 09 Mar 2009, 17:01

Which referencing style would you prefer Cart

APA

Harvard

MLA

I don't even know which one the Business School uses.lolz

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 09 Mar 2009, 17:13

Lellybaby wrote:I don't even know which one the Business School uses.lolz
You should probably find that out; universities tend to take these things Very Seriously.

However, just writing out the source details (or better yet, a link) would do wonders.

Citing references just means that

A) You don't get failed for plagiarism.
B) Your readers can actually verify that you aren't making shit up, finding/assuming tenuous links or totally misrepresenting your source.

The internet doesn't count towards your semester though, so most people (myself included) just get lazy. [citation needed]

Except on Wikipedia, that is - everyone is reference-happy there. [citation needed]
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 09 Mar 2009, 17:16

IMO everything should be able to simply be cited with the following...

"Teh Internetz" Or "Teh Wikiz".

Lellybaby
Legendary

Post by Lellybaby » 09 Mar 2009, 17:18

This is my 7th year of University (One year off) and i've gone through the departments of English, Ancient History, Film & Tv, Law, Business, Psychology, Education and probably something else).

Too many different referencing methods PSYDUCK!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 09 Mar 2009, 17:22

Lellybaby wrote:This is my 7th year of University (One year off) and i've gone through the departments of English, Ancient History, Film & Tv, Law, Business, Psychology, Education and probably something else).

Too many different referencing methods PSYDUCK!
Ah, true. I always found it kinda stupid that each department in the uni had their own preferred method of referencing.

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 09 Mar 2009, 18:23

This reminds me of my favorite quote. I remember when I came up with it in high school, one of my Christian friends got so angry with me for making a mockery of her religion that she told me never to talk with her about religion again. I don't see why this is so bad, but I'll let you guys decide:

"I found Jesus! But now I've hidden him again so you can find him."

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 09 Mar 2009, 18:46

Philondra wrote:"I found Jesus! But now I've hidden him again so you can find him."
Actually, that's not so much making a mockery of the religion as the more evangelical of its proponents.

Which probably explains why she was so upset :-P

Also: The mystic would applaud your statement with glee.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 10 Mar 2009, 11:25

I can't be bothered bringing the religion debate to any table anymore, people on both sides are so stubborn and how can you have a logical discussion about something that defies logic? So the logical person will always be pissed off and the religious/faith person will be pissed off because your insulting his mumma or some shit....

I have found most "hardcore christains" to be utter hippocrytes anyway, like one used to always get all pissy about "don't swear, don't use gods name in vain" etc when you say like "oh my god" but then at a party on the weekend they'd be swearing their tits off and often said "oh my god" or "jesus" when something strange/surprising happened. That's just one example but I see it all over the show, even people WITHIN their own religion can't agree on what they should/shoudln't do.... To me they can do whatever they like and believe in whatever they want to believe in, just don't try to make me abide by your fucking rules.... Lest we forget the child mollesting homosexual preists... some how they got off way to lightly with that shit. (nothing wrong with homosexuality jsut more obvious hypocritacism)
In fact to braoden it I find people that try to defend their standpoint too hard and take a "higher than though" route like say vegetarians (not all) are also quite hypocritcal, I don't think even they fully understand what they are doing, like "don't hurt the treee's maaaaannnn, save the whales" then they're eating some random fish and plant matter that all died so they could live.... then some end up going back to eating meat... it's all bollocks, just do as much of what you need/desire as is reasonable/possible and don't try to lable yourself/others and claim the higher(or in some cases lower) route....

To go back to my previous point about religion impacting too much on people not a part of it... take a note out of the jews book, make your own god damned religious state where you can ban all the homo's, get rid of pre marital relations, undo abortions, ban stem cell research etc.... stop making life worse for the rest of us and insulting us "blasphemer". I mean I don't go into a church and start handing out pamphlets about science and saying "did you know if you give your unborn featous to some doctor he can cure aids and save/improve millions of live?" or "did you know homosexuals and people of other religions are actually people too, they have the same chromosomes, rough genetic makeup, and don't infact bleed putrid acid?" or some shit.

I loved Billy Conolly's quote

"My favourite new invention was carb free communal bread, I thought of a fantastic name for it 'I can't believe it's not Jesus' or if that doesn't go down well I havea backup 'Swallow the Leader'"
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

dukkha
Epic

Post by dukkha » 10 Mar 2009, 12:36

Karjalan wrote:I mean I don't go into a church and start handing out pamphlets about science and saying [...]
"did you know homosexuals and people of other religions are actually people too, they have the same chromosomes, rough genetic makeup, and don't infact bleed putrid acid?" [Citation Needed]
Sorry, just thought I should get into the spirit of things. :)

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 10 Mar 2009, 14:19

Please bear in mind that this thread isn't actually to debate religion, Karj.

Given we've moved offtopic though:
Religious people appear to have you significantly upset - but I'd recommend you become a little more informed in their area.

Part of the reason people take such issue with fundamentalists is that they fail to properly learn and understand other people's positions; take a care not to be in the same boat, on the opposite end.

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 10 Mar 2009, 14:34

Cartollomew wrote:...take a care not to be in the same boat...
It's an Ark isn't it? =P

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 10 Mar 2009, 14:35

Cartollomew wrote:Please bear in mind that this thread isn't actually to debate religion, Karj.

Given we've moved offtopic though:
Religious people appear to have you significantly upset - but I'd recommend you become a little more informed in their area.

Part of the reason people take such issue with fundamentalists is that they fail to properly learn and understand other people's positions; take a care not to be in the same boat, on the opposite end.
MIND BEARS???? RUUUUNNNNNNNN

Meh I'll be as opposite end as I want, but I don't think you understand what I mean. I don't actively engage in RL arguments and hunt down religious people to pick fights with and try to prove "they're wrong" yeah, sometimes they piss me off, but I let them go about their thing, like I hang out with a mate who has 3 separate "groups" of friends, one is heavily christian, we can hang out together and do whatever it's all good, I get along with them great, we never really bring up religion except for the odd light hearted comment and it's fine, they might do or say somethign religious that is important to them but they aren't like "Hey Julian, if you don't accept jesus as your supreme ruler, we're going to have to ask you to leave".
Then I walk down the street and get called a sinner, told i'm going to hell unless I convert to religion X, I just ignore it... THEN some lady comes along and starts fondling me telling me "the great one loves all, he loves you, and if you close your eyes and put out your hands, you will get peanuts and oils, because the great one made peanuts and oils.".... Well that incident was particularly unsettling (she invaded my personal space stroked my chest and my hair) but I didn't freak out, rage, get angry at her, tell her her religion was stupid or wrong or anything, I just pried her hands off me and said said "I'm alright thanks" and went on my way.

My point is, you don't have to agree with what people say/believe/feel and nothing should force you to act/be a certain way, if you can go about your buisiness while interfering in other peoples business as little as possible, thats great. Call me a sinner behind my back, bitch about me, think i'm evil, refuse me the right to poon your daughter.... whatever, just don't tred on my shit and tell me to be what i'm not/don't want to be. Cause if you DO start forcing your way on people, thats when I have no sympathy for you and you can GTFO and DIAF. I mean if you look at some religions in the poorer african/asian countries where people invade a place and start murdering members of your family or torturing you till you convert to their beliefs, sure thats extreme but it's the sort of shit that goes on and gets me worked up, like you aren't allowed to abort a rape child, and instead you should marry the man who raped you so it isn't born a bastard.... If you want that in your culture and if you believe it... sure, but for people that don't they shouldn't not have the choice to abort, to punish rather than marry the attacker, life is about decisions, you are defined by your decisions/actions, other people should not be in control of them (to a broad extent).

I passively attack religion in an online debate because of things I don't agree with, but I mostely keep it all internal, I don't tell people they are wrong, I don't tell them to change, really I don't think I could do much even if I wanted to.... But I still feel/think in those sorts of ways. And of course there's always exceptions.

Just to be clear I don't like.... hate on all religions and I don't think religion is wrong/evil.... I just have internal conflicts with some of their issues and the way some of them go about self promotion etc. Sometimes my wording might not be exactly what I mean, I often just blurb on and my vocab sometimes gets all out of order.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Kayleb
Epic

Post by Kayleb » 10 Mar 2009, 14:49

she invaded my personal space stroked my chest and my hair
:lol:

yea, I can see what karj is saying and pretty much agree with most of it.

I also enjoy a bonus feature from hitch hikers guide to ze galaxy where they argue that intelligent design can’t be true. In the case of the translating fish (or people in our galaxy), how can something so useful just evolve, so therefore it has to have been designed by a higher being. But if that were the case then people wouldn’t be required to put their faith in (any) god as there is already proof that he exist. So then if God requires people's faith, but has already proven he exist, so then people don't need to have faith in order to believe... God doesn't not exist!

I found it interesting :?
Dr. Emmett Brown wrote: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
P.s. I<3 Penny Kari 'nique