Fred Phelps - Champion of Astonishing Ignorance

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Fred Phelps - Champion of Astonishing Ignorance

Post by Cartollomew » 20 Feb 2009, 12:50

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/5332835

I can't help but feel conflicted over this article. But first:
Crazy Fucking Nutjob wrote:"Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind; it is abomination. Neither shalt thou lie with any beast to defile thyself therewith," said the church.
The same section of the Old Testament also forbids the consumption of shellfish, but God apparently is yet to "hate lobster".

Now to the cause of the conflict:
Obviously this guy, his church and his family exhibit strong signs of being batshit insane - but can we position ourselves as thought police?

On the one hand, we have to allow the freedom to think and speak - even for things which many people find abhorrent. On the other, if there's a significant chance what they're saying will result in rioting or violence, that could have otherwise been prevented, we have an obligation silence them (which is what happened).

It's not even as cut and dry as that though - what if someone's speech will rile up a population for the good, some revolutionary change that is positive, but has a chance to turn the crowd violent? We have an obligation to allow that expression, but also an obligation to prevent that violence.

While you're mulling that one over, be sure not to lose sight of the most important point here: Fred Phelps is a complete dick.

Case in point:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574,25067362-2,00.html

So... ah... a country routinely ravaged by bushfires, had some of the worst bushfires ever. And that's because God did it to punish us?

I mean jeez, you can justify almost anything via that logic. "I didn't shoot him, your Honour - I was just holding the gun and pointing it at him. God made me pull the trigger, because that man voted for Obama, who kills and eats babies."

Honestly, if I didn't know better, I'd suspect Westboro Baptist Church for being the greatest Troll ever. Check this out:
Yet another steaming moron wrote:God hates the sordid, tacky bucket of slime seasoned with vomit known as Brokeback Mountain – and He hates all persons having anything to whatsoever to do with it.
All he has to do is add "gays can go DIAF" at the end, and it'd fit in on just about any message board as classic flamebait.

The crazy - it wears down my (entirely unjustified) faith in humanity.

Also:
http://www.smh.com.au/national/pastors- ... -832f.html
They're like headlice or something wrote:"The Bible is very clear," he said. "If you walk out of God's protection and turn your back on Him, you are an open target for the devil to destroy."

In the New King James version of the Bible, 2 Chronicles 7:14 states that: "If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land."
If you absolutely must believe in God, at least believe in a God consistent with your own damn teachings. How do these fucking morons reach the level of respect they have as pastors? Seriously?
If God existed, he couldn't be half the dick that these guys are - even taking into account the fact we live in a world with cot death.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Philondra
Legendary

Re: Fred Phelps - Champion of Astonishing Ignorance

Post by Philondra » 20 Feb 2009, 13:09

Actually, back when I was in university, this guy came and picketed my school, allegedly for hiring an openly homosexual sports director. We used the excuse to hold a counter-picket party. I'm trying to find a picture of the sign that I made for the event, because it was so amusing that it made front page of the university paper. Unfortunately, it appears that all the images from that far back are no longer on the website, so you'll have to hope that 1000 words will suffice:

Basically, I took a piece of red posterboard, pasted an image of Homer Simpson eating a donut, wrote the caption "Mmmm, Sodomy *argzhkl*" and hung the sign around my neck backwards so that it covered my butt.

My alma mater has the highest percentage of homosexual students anywhere in the US. The survey done the year I graduated was 30% gay or lesbian ><

This is an AP-award winning photograph of the occasion. EDIT FOR CART: This picture contains hot (yet fully clothed) man-on-man action
http://flickr.com/photos/69805768@N00/592821404

Edit: Holy fuckballs, was that really almost 9 years ago?!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 20 Feb 2009, 13:19

Dude, you can't post pictures of men kissing on our forums!

Think of the people who'll have to clean up after Elmo explodes.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Lellybaby
Legendary

Post by Lellybaby » 20 Feb 2009, 13:21

Cartollomew wrote:Dude, you can't post pictures of men kissing on our forums!

Quote of the day goes to Cart

Juke a DK/Warrior, Die Anyway ._.

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 20 Feb 2009, 13:35

Godhatesfags.com?

Haha, it's a real website. GG
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 20 Feb 2009, 13:48

Muse wrote:Haha, it's a real website. GG
The domain is registered - whether or not it's a "real" website, or an amazingly elaborate prank is up for debate...

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 20 Feb 2009, 13:53

No, he's had that website since at least 1999. It used to have a Matthew Shepard death counter on the website ("Number of days since Matthew Shepard has been burning in the firey pits of hell: 914" or something like that.) Is that still on the site?

EDIT: What do you know! It's still there, in all its 1999 raw-HTML-written-in-notepad glory!

http://www.westborobaptistchurch.com/li ... orial.html

Evilelmo
Epic

Post by Evilelmo » 20 Feb 2009, 14:42

Cartollomew wrote:Dude, you can't post pictures of men kissing on our forums!

i sincerely thank you for thinking about my well-being :P

I say LOBBIDITY!!! You say LOL!!!

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 20 Feb 2009, 14:48

I think she was rolling around on the floor before moaning and clutching her inner thighs....

:shock:

Evilelmo
Epic

Post by Evilelmo » 20 Feb 2009, 15:09

stop having your sadistic fantasies please

I say LOBBIDITY!!! You say LOL!!!

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 20 Feb 2009, 16:04

Nevar!

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 20 Feb 2009, 20:23

"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 20 Feb 2009, 21:23

"God hates crippled soldiers"

BEST.SIGN.EVAR.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

dukkha
Epic

Post by dukkha » 20 Feb 2009, 21:41

http://www.landoverbaptist.org/

For those who want basically the same thing... but intentionally funny. :)

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 21 Feb 2009, 12:08

Reminds me of one of my favourite bands (Remembering Never) who are "all political and stuff" and for gay rights, animal rights, anti establishment etc. (all the usual punk stuff, except hardcore)

If god dictates what love is
Who will love the unwanted?
Lay waste to this cold tradition
Take the gods of old to hell
Your god, is a faggot hatter.

I love the false sense of tolerance that most religions claim to uphold... It's bollocks. I don't specifically hate on religion, more the ignorance and LACK of tolerance that comes with it, the whole, "my way is right your way is wrong, you're going to hell for X,Y,Z"
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur