How to write a bill...

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
midi
Legendary
How to write a bill...

Post by midi » 30 Jan 2009, 14:28

Was reading Wired's "This day in tech" (http://www.wired.com/science/discoverie ... ntech_0129) and I love the final paragraph...
Steinmetz retired from GE for a faculty position at Union College in Schenectady, but GE still called him back now and then as a consultant to solve difficult problems. Once, while troubleshooting a malfunctioning apparatus, Steinmetz painstakingly traced the problem to the element that wasn't working, and then marked it with chalk. When he submitted a bill for $10,000 (more than $100,000 in today's money), GE asked him to itemize the charges.
He sent them this invoice:

Making chalk mark: $1
Knowing where to place it: $9,999
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ soak rifts or riot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Re: How to write a bill...

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Jan 2009, 14:38

Yep. That's pretty damn true of many industries - you aren't paying for the hard labour, you're paying for the experience and knowledge.

Otherwise you'd have done it yourself, right?
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Kayleb
Epic

Re: How to write a bill...

Post by Kayleb » 30 Jan 2009, 17:16

Pro sauce midi
Dr. Emmett Brown wrote: If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious shit.
P.s. I<3 Penny Kari 'nique