Audiophiles: We will believe anything if it makes us cool

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Audiophiles: We will believe anything if it makes us cool

Post by Cartollomew » 05 Jan 2009, 15:58

http://www.pcworld.com/article/156302/v ... k=rss_news

Audiophiles are also the people most likely to suggest you break-in your new million dollar speaker cables in your specially powered cd player.

With half a grand's worth of wooden volume knob (the original host for that hot little item appears to have disappeared - I'm astounded that a vendor of the 500 dollar knob is no longer in business).

To be fair, there are people out there with finely tuned hearing who also happen to be well versed in the area of aural science. There just aren't that many*.

And of those that are out there, they probably don't want to speak up for fear of being tarred with the same brush as the complete dingbats who insist, for example, that LPs "sound better" than CDs.

I appreciate that you might like the feel of an LP. I too, like the big cover and ample liner notes.
You get a feeling of quiet nostalgia using them too.

But seriously, saying things like
"Records just sound better. They have that warmth to them - that analog-warm sound. A record reproduces music, a CD transforms it into zeros and ones,"
doesn't do anyone any favours.

Nobody is watching VHS in favour of DVD because of its "warm, vibrant colour" - if you want to buy a record, buy a record.

But don't go making shit up to justify your nostalgia.

*I am not one of these people. My hearing sensitivity and knowledge of the science involved is passable at best.
But I know crap science when I see it.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Mitra
Legendary

Re: Audiophiles: We will believe anything if it makes us cool

Post by Mitra » 05 Jan 2009, 17:03

at first i thought this was gonna be similar to The Loudness War
see also

and it might still be a valid explanation for trhe classic albums....but i'm pretty sure they would be remastering them anyway so you'd end up with the same crap on both media
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010