RIAA related stuff. Copyright/IP shenanigans.

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
RIAA related stuff. Copyright/IP shenanigans.

Post by Cartollomew » 22 Dec 2008, 16:13

http://www.pcworld.com/article/155820/R ... k=rss_news

/facepalm

Not doing it right.

This isn't the job of either the ISP or the RIAA.

Shouldn't they be... promoting music or something?

At any rate, the solution offered by the EFF is fraught with peril also, as such a system is open to abuse by those who would stand to benefit - in short, any artist who is paid out the more their stuff is shared has it in their own best interest to skew the figures so they get "shared" the most.

Now, if the RIAA et al hadn't sued, intimidated and otherwise pushed P2P sharing into anonymous levels, they'd have a more open way of telling who was sharing what.

But no, they've encouraged tech developments in file sharing to go in the direction of anonymizing their users, making it far more difficult to track what's actually being shared. Nice work there, Pops.

Meanwhile, it looks like they'll be shooting for a similar solution here in Oz, what with their the movie industry suing iiNet for refusing to play bad cop.

Epic fail, all round really.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew

Re: RIAA related stuff. Copyright/IP shenanigans.

Post by Cartollomew » 24 Dec 2008, 15:13

http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/files/ ... 1217_2.pdf

Copy of the form letter sent to ISPs.

Oooh, golden:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10127873-93.html

Assholes ahoy:
https://www.payartists.com/index.php?p=about

Bottom feeders.

IANAL, but to clear things up:
The Act allows for the copyright owner to recover monetary damages equal to actual damages plus any profits made by the infringing party or statutory damages of up to $150,000 per infringement.
(emphasis mine)

Okay, here's the deal.
If I make copies of your RRP $30 CD and sell them to 10 people, and you can provide evidence enough to convince a jury 51% that I had done this, you would take me to court.

Working out the damages for the first "option" available is pretty easy; Whatever profits I made from those 10 sales (probably close to 300 bucks) I give to you.
I also pay you for "actual damages", which I suppose would be the initial 30 bucks of CD I took for myself (maybe I got a burnt copy off a friend).
330 bucks max. I'm a pirate in the true (IP) sense of the word; that is, I took your property and sold it as my own, for my own profit.

If I download your 30 buck CD, however, what do we do then?
Well, it could be argued that all I should pay for is the 30 bucks I didn't spend on buying the legit CD. But that oversimplifies matters - most P2P software allows, encourages or requires you to share and share alike - that is, whatever you download, you probably shared in some capacity with other people.

How many other people? That's not always easy to answer.
Who were they? No idea.
Would they have bought the CD had they not been able to download it from you? Do they already own the CD in another format? Did they then go out and purchase the CD on the strength of the listens they gave the copy they downloaded from you? - these questions are not considered. At all.
Given this is so murky, the other option is to award statutory damages "per work". (Statutory damages are calculated as a multiple of the "value" of the work)
Under this option, the maximum penalty awarded is $150,000 per infringement (I assume that's per work... if I download a song from an album, I assume that counts as a work, but if I download an entire album does that count as 10 works? Beats me).

Typically*, this value is in the thousands. I personally think this is utter arse. People who are smarter than me think it's unconstitutional.

Either way, it's a curious system.
Note however, that because of the fluid and intangible nature of IP, and as evidenced by the very existence of statutory damages, working out the "cost of piracy" (in the downloading, not the selling sense) is a futile excercise.

This doesn't stop anyone in the industry from pulling billion dollar figures out of their arses and using it as "evidence" that IP law needs to be altered to rape consumers more.

Hint: It doesn't.

*"Typically" - this hasn't actually been settled by the courts in more than a handful of cases. Often people settle out of court.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 07 Jan 2009, 13:14

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/5248078

Only the top part is relevant - it descends into press-release material further down.

Interesting - although they don't mention whether or not they're canning DRM'd tunes entirely, or will still offer them for lower prices than their "free (as in speech) counterparts.

As always, beware the metadata - iTunes embeds your user details into the tracks you buy. Don't go spreading them around willy-nilly, unless you're sure you've scraped your ID clean.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 19 Jan 2009, 17:12

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/ ... z=1&page=1

Isn't it interesting that when the industry standard is to be completely uninformed and moronic about your industry's technology, the people who state the fucking obvious appear so intelligent and innovative.

"Oh! We sell the product to the customers who want it! That's brilliant!"

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 19 Jan 2009, 17:27

You know what's really, really scary? Look at that guy (Jason Holtman) pictured in the article. If you look at that particular picture of him from the nose up (i.e. hide the rest of the photo) he looks like a 15 years-older version of me. When I glanced at the photo while skimming the first portion of the article I was like "OMG!" and then I scrolled down and it wasnt me, but it's pretty scary my first thought was, "I've come back from the future to save .... something!"

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 19 Jan 2009, 18:07

Philondra wrote: I came here in a time machine forum you built. And I need your help to get me back to the year 1985.
Cartollomew wrote:Do you know what this means? Do you know what this means?
It means this damn server has its date/time synchronisation completely messed up.
Also:
Christopher Lloyd wrote:One point twenty-one jigawatts!

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 19 Jan 2009, 18:22

Back to the Failure

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 21 Jan 2009, 17:21

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... sales.html

Yay! A judge finally stated the obvious!

-In the context of a criminal case, which means it won't readily apply to civil cases (the majority of action taken against music downloaders).
-With the caveat that someone will "...have little incentive to purchase the recording through legitimate means..."

Re: the second point.
Utter pap.

Maybe they won't want to buy it off iTunes, but does that govern their purchasing the recording in other forms?
CD? DVD? Concert? Merchandise?

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 23 Jan 2009, 17:45

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/245859/qa-m ... o-drm.html

I almost feel sorry for the (well paid) MS shill - he sounds really defeated.
If I buy these songs on your service - and they're locked to my phone - what happens when I upgrade my phone in six months' time?

Well, I think you know the answer to that.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 09 Mar 2009, 17:09

http://nrkbeta.no/norwegian-broadcastin ... t-tracker/

You crazy fucking Scandinavians.

:-D

Money quote:
Experience from our early tests show that if we’re the best provider of our own content we also gain control of it.
About. Fucking. Time.

Also:

The 2 completely irrelevant images almost stole the show for me.

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 09 Mar 2009, 17:11

That is the simplest and best way to look at anything in the world.

The best provider is the provider we choose.

However, I like my shit free cause I'm cheap, poor and enjoy paying my house off. I would be willing to pay small trinkets to have content legit tho...

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 22 Apr 2009, 16:19