Women more likely than men to choose internet over sex

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Philondra
Legendary
Women more likely than men to choose internet over sex

Post by Philondra » 16 Dec 2008, 12:58

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/12/15/ ... index.html

Here's what bothers me about this article. Let me quote the first few paragraphs:
While 46 percent of the women surveyed were willing to engage in abstinence versus losing their Internet, only 30 percent of the men surveyed were willing to do likewise.

The U.S. survey, which queried 2,119 adults last month, found that the gap grew even wider for both men and woman who were 18 to 34 years old. For woman, the percentage of those willing to skip the sheets in favor of the Web rose to 49 percent, while it climbed to 39 percent for men.
OK, unless they are talking about some other "gap", it seems to me that the gap actually *shrunk* for men and women 18-34.

All women: 46%
All men: 30%
Gap: 16%

18-34 women:49%
18-34 men: 39%
Gap: 10%

/facepalm

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Re: Women more likely than men to choose internet over sex

Post by Cartollomew » 16 Dec 2008, 13:07

That's what you get when a journalist writes about a survey with uninteresting results (but apparently interesting questions).

The journalist was thinking:

"Of all women, 46% would (inane survey answer). Of women from (demographic), 49% would (inane survey answer). Therefore the gap between those who would and those who wouldn't, grew!"

That's some piss poor writing.

Also, terrible critical thought. How often do the people in the survey have sex anyway? If the same ones who are happy to give it up aren't ever gettin' any anyway, then that's not really too much of a difficulty.

It's like a teetotaler giving up alcohol for lent - big deal.

Factor in various studies suggesting that women, on average, have a lower appetite for frequent sex than do men, and you still end up with a "big deal" survey result - women who only have sex once every 2 weeks are hardly going to forego internet access for... nothing.

Also:
In before "I don't need sex, I has interwbs pron, lulz!"
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!