Deadly "new" drug from 70s - /facepalm

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Deadly "new" drug from 70s - /facepalm

Post by Cartollomew » 11 Dec 2008, 11:30

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/5204909

What's that Lassie? Timmy drunk metholated spirits thinking it was vodka? Oh noes, Lassie! It's up to you to repeal prohibition!

Wait... the article was about drugs? Oh right, there's no fucking difference.

*slow claps the Western world* Bravo, hows that black market and drug related crime treating you?
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew

Re: Deadly "new" drug from 70s - /facepalm

Post by Cartollomew » 11 Dec 2008, 15:49

Ask her for Adderal
http://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008 ... ncing.html

Interesting and vaguely related.

There don't appear to be a lot of long term studies done with regard to consistent use of Adderal et al - so I'd like to see those get done.

My concern with this sort of thing (as opposed to recreational drugs) is that they place a compulsion on workers and students to use them in order to be on par with their peers.

It needs to be determined what side effects and how much of a boost the drugs provide before de/regulation can ethically be supported. In the case of recreational drugs, there's no compulsion to use (beyond addiction) in order to improve/secure to one's income or future, so such an ethical question is less weighty.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew

Re: Deadly "new" drug from 70s - /facepalm

Post by Cartollomew » 05 Jan 2009, 11:48