Movie industry sues ISP

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
Movie industry sues ISP

Post by Cartollomew » 01 Dec 2008, 15:57

http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/b ... 17457.html

Okay, so I'm about a week and a half late.

What the industry is advocating here is impossible - you can't filter out "piracy" without filtering out all other P2P.

And even if you were to do the Australian people the gross injustice of insisting ISPs filter all P2P, a replacement would be up and running before the order was carried out.

What are they trying to prove? That our ISPs should spend resources preventing this?

Further reading.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

midi
Legendary

Re: Movie industry sues ISP

Post by midi » 01 Dec 2008, 16:28

Nothing unusual there... The laws are slanted towards the copyright holders and not to the community at large.

On a side note, my personal pet peeve of DVDs where it takes 5m to get to the damn "Play" option can land me in jail if a choose to remove it. I find it kind of funny that with DVDs I actually have less control than my old VHS player. I'd love to be able to re-edit them so they just play the damn film when I insert the DVD.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ soak rifts or riot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mitra
Legendary

Re: Movie industry sues ISP

Post by Mitra » 01 Dec 2008, 16:38

apparently this has been prompted by iinets anti "clean feed" stance.

/tinfoilhat
"Life is no Nintendo game / But you lied again / Now you get to watch her leave / Out the window / Guess that's why they call it window pane" -Eminem 'Love the way you lie' - Award for Excellence in Puns in the medium of Rap 2010