I was a pre-teen Christian super computer

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)
I was a pre-teen Christian super computer

Post by Cartollomew » 26 Nov 2008, 11:04

http://gadgets.boingboing.net/2008/11/2 ... -chri.html

I'm still amazed in this day and age that so many people are able to reconcile the idea that a God would simultaneously subscribe to Christian values and instantly condemn to hell anyone who didn't proclaim Jesus as their Lord and Saviour prior to death.

Then again, kids at my school used to mutter and whine about having to do simple fucking comprehension, so learning critical thought is probably out of the question.

Also:
"No, you're right, Colby doesn't have a soul," Mrs. Betts explained. "He's just been programmed to think he does."

I need to get my hands on this script - I suspect it's a stunningly clever allegory, carrying the meanings read by whoever views it.

Downright creepy.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

midi
Legendary

Re: I was a pre-teen Christian super computer

Post by midi » 26 Nov 2008, 11:15

I'm wondering how many people will get the 8086 reference myself.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ soak rifts or riot ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 26 Nov 2008, 11:27

midi wrote:I'm wondering how many people will get the 8086 reference myself.
Fortunately it shouldn't detract from the experience for those people who are less well versed in crusty old technology.

I'm a little concerned about the image accompanying the article, actually - it would appear there is a female computer there.

How the hell does that work? And is she wearing enough?

Gotta be careful, don't want Colby to be tempted to give in to his pre-programmed self-replication scripts :-O
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 26 Nov 2008, 12:18

Jeebus, good lord, what a fucked up play...

I don't think I ever wanted to be a robot... A cybernetic super human yes (Megaman was often something I drifted off to sleep thinking about), but not a robot. I think I am rather attached to this belief that I have a soul and a "heart" somewhere.