Random News

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 20 Nov 2008, 20:28

+5 Insightful:

Oh cool, now we can air-fondle virtual titties.

It's a novelty, and it might one day be good - but not any time soon.

Most of those things can be done - more precisely - with a mouse.

3D OSs are still a ways off being practical too - Sun had one a few years back, but as far as I know it never went beyond proof of concept (proving the concept that their engineers had time to fuck about and not stay on the ball - gg sun, gg)
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 21 Nov 2008, 10:34

Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 21 Nov 2008, 11:04

In all seriousness, this vigilantism to promote equality is utter fail.

It makes for a "light hearted news story" once a year and a room full of women can feel good about themselves in a mob-mentality kind of way - but what does it actually achieve?

You will always have guys who are dickheads (and women too, for that matter) and they won't give a damn about your award.

Neither will their supporters.

For the rest of the world, believe it or not, we're not all "hur-hur, women has boobs and raise kids" - we've reached the point where we can recognise what is acceptable and what is not.

Does giving an "award" like this actually promote equality? Or does it widen the perceived psychological gap between men and women?

While there is a strong awareness of various forms of femininity in the world, and a strong encouragement toward women to embrace that, whatever it entails, men have an ever more confused concept of masculinity and behaviour.

"Shaming" the Sam Newmans of this world achieves nothing - for one thing, Sam Newman has no shame, for another everyone who thinks he's great is immune to your event, and everyone sane already thinks he's an idiot.

Gender balance (whatever the fuck that's supposed to be) isn't perfect, but events like this do nothing to help.

I suspect Phil has much more eloquent rants on this topic - either fer or agin me - given his somewhat more respectable educational background in this area :-P

Many, many commas were harmed in the making of this post. Check it out, there's like, three in this footnote alone. What kind of monster am I?

Cartollomew

Re: Random News

Post by Cartollomew » 24 Nov 2008, 11:30

Locked - post new news items in their own thread.