Random News

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 30 Sep 2008, 18:31

Oxygen bars originated here in Japan.

I would like to formally express my apologies.

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 30 Sep 2008, 20:40

pretty sure jet pilots breathe a 100% oxygen mix when above 50 000 ft..
and astronauts, and deepsea divers.... you know.... in case of depressurisation and getting "the bends"..

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 30 Sep 2008, 22:09

also

an elevated partial pressure simply means that there is more O2 in a given volume than there should be (where air is the baseline).

THE MOAR U KNOW

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 01 Oct 2008, 17:33

I was going to post a scathing discussion of the current truly idiotic lawsuits between the MPAA and RealNetworks (they're both losers!), but then I spotted this:

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2008/ ... 24999.html

This is by far the most awesome thing ever.

Not just because it's a spectacularly bad idea, but also because Russell Crowe has actually succeeded at making a Bush plan look good in comparison.

To those who've read the article and don't get it, select the below text:
300 million million dollars > 700 billion
OR, you could give 1 million to 300 lucky Americans, who can each stimulate the economy as hard as possible
OR, you could give each and every American a whole dollar. Don't spend it all at once!
Last edited by Cartollomew on 01 Oct 2008, 17:42, edited 2 times in total.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 01 Oct 2008, 17:40

Cartollomew wrote: Not just because it's a spectacularly bad idea, but also because Russel Crowe has actually succeeded at making a Bush plan look good in comparison.
Do you mean that Russel Crowe's plan made Bush look good, or that Russel Crowe's photograph made Bush look good?

Because Russel Crowe looks pretty old, fat, and henious in that picture. And the "plan" sucks too.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 01 Oct 2008, 17:43

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmiO8HSwdpY

I can actually watch that video at work, so I've no idea if the sound quality is any good.

Crowe is like a poor imitation of Baka, btw, in the looks department.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 01 Oct 2008, 17:46

I know this will sound like typical bitter kiwi angst.... but I like how when Russel Crowe says something stupid and looks a fool the Australian media states "the New Zealand born" HOWEVER, when he wins an oscar he is "the Australian actor"...

Also.. that'd be fucking gold if they just gave everyone $1,000,000... lots of people would spend it on crack and hookers and still be in debt of course... And inflation.... romg
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 01 Oct 2008, 17:51

As a financially conscious american, I have to strongly object to your vicious characterization of my people as a society of hedonists who would waste all their money on crack and hookers.

I would invest half of the million in drug cartel bonds, make sure my bomb shelter was stocked with condoms. Then and ONLY then would I go get a hooker.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 01 Oct 2008, 18:44

Hmm. Bear in mind that the hookers would also have 1 million dollars, so probably wouldn't really be in the mood for your crap.

Least wise, not for anything less than 100-200 grand.

Also: 300 million million dollars is a little out of the US' price range.

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 01 Oct 2008, 18:47

Nah, it's fine Cart. We'll just have to get a mortage on the White House. Don't worry, I'm pretty sure Bush is good for it.

snowsloth
Uncommon

Post by snowsloth » 02 Oct 2008, 11:18

Original URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/01 ... ot_ruling/

Blizzard awarded $6m in WoW bot case
Glider crash and burn

By Dan Goodin in San Francisco

Posted in Law, 1st October 2008 18:09 GMT

World of Warcraft creator Blizzard Entertainment won a $6m judgement from the maker of a software bot that allows users to play the wildly popular game while away from their computers.

MDY Industries was ordered to pay the sum last week, following a court finding in July that its distribution of the Glider bot (http://www.mmoglider.com/) infringed Blizzard's copyrights and constituted tortious interference. Trial is scheduled for January where additional damages could be levied if additional violations relating to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act are found.

Between June 2005 and September of this year, MDY sold about 120,000 Glider licenses, bringing the judgment to about $50 per sale. Blizzard has argued that MDY's behavior was "willful and wanton" and that the company should therefore be required to pay a staggering $2,500 per licence. Over the past three years, Glider has generated about $3.5m in revenue.

Blizzard has long complained that bots like Glider degrade the WoW player experience by giving users an unfair advantage over non-users. Some Glider customers use the software to mine gold and other assets and then sell them for cash on auction sites, Blizzard asserts.

Blizzard has received more than 465,000 in-game petitions from users complaining about bots, "several thousand" of which mention Glider by name, according to court documents. The company spends close to $943,000 per year responding to bot complaints. WoW's user agreement expressly forbids the use of such software.

Glider is the brainchild of Michael Donnelly. It is popular with some WoW players who like the ability to automate tasks such as slaying monsters and collecting gold. At time of writing, mmoglider.com was still distributing the Glider software.
And if my thought-dreams could be seen
They'd probably put my head in a guillotine
But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.

Xact
Legendary

Post by Xact » 02 Oct 2008, 11:53

Anyone want my glider key, not playing anymore lobbidy

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 02 Oct 2008, 12:28

yeah, Glider got face pwnd.

Kayleb
Epic

Post by Kayleb » 02 Oct 2008, 12:30

thats srs bzns!

snowsloth
Uncommon

Post by snowsloth » 02 Oct 2008, 15:46

And if my thought-dreams could be seen
They'd probably put my head in a guillotine
But it's alright, Ma, it's life, and life only.