Random News

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 18 Sep 2008, 15:46

Any smart chick will just wear 2 pairs of undies (I highly doubt they check) and get your free $50 and don't walk around with your cooch flapping about.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 22 Sep 2008, 16:10

http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/09/bej ... comin.html

I may just reactivate my account for that...
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Kayleb
Epic

Post by Kayleb » 22 Sep 2008, 16:22

Karj, thats rather vulgar... cooch lol

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 22 Sep 2008, 18:11

Cartollomew wrote:http://blog.wired.com/games/2008/09/bej ... comin.html

I may just reactivate my account for that...
Hmm this isn't that new... although it's better quality to the one I had... When we were raiding Mags and early SSC and I was still too noob to get consistent raid spots I spent a lot of my time subbed out playing bejeweled and other such games like breaker (personal favourite) space invaders and tetris from an addon...
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 30 Sep 2008, 12:13

wait for the ultimate game within game

CS within wow

zomg im smrt

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Sep 2008, 13:25

Johnnyrico wrote:wait for the ultimate game within game

CS within wow

zomg im smrt
Screw that. WoW within WoW.

Yeh... you like that? I thought so.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 30 Sep 2008, 13:35

Cartollomew wrote:

CS within wow

zomg im smrt

I hear that when WOTLK comes out they're retrofitting Shattrath as a netcafe. They're using most of the Naaru as power sources and having A'dal give beatnik poetry sessions before every Tuesday maintenance.
Last edited by Philondra on 30 Sep 2008, 13:36, edited 1 time in total.

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 30 Sep 2008, 13:35

Cartollomew wrote:

CS within wow

zomg im smrt

D:

i just got owned.

playing beta client within normal wow :O

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Sep 2008, 14:54

Philondra wrote:I hear that when WOTLK comes out they're retrofitting Shattrath as a netcafe. They're using most of the Naaru as power sources and having A'dal give beatnik poetry sessions before every Tuesday maintenance.
A'dal wrote: Whoa Daddy! Yeah! I gotta get myself a beret! Sha!

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Sep 2008, 15:42

http://www.pcworld.com/article/151634/i ... k=rss_news

Oh, this is beautiful:

"This bill truly is music to the ears of all those who care about strengthening American creativity and jobs," Mitch Bainwol, RIAA's chairman and CEO, said in a statement. "At a critical economic juncture, this bipartisan legislation provides enhanced protection for an important asset that helps lead our global competitiveness."

:roll:

---

Daniel James effectively says pretty much everything I think when it comes to the DRM front:
http://penny-arcade.com/2008/9/29/

And this whole copyright infringement guff - along with the DMCA that came along years ago - is all about the individual consumers and DRM.

It has nothing to do with piracy - which is, and should remain, a criminal issue (making copies of someone else's property and then selling that property without permission).

Copyright infringement on a user/consumer level - the act of downloading/copying/making available intellectual property without permission is not a criminal matter, and should not be a criminal matter. It's indicative of a problem in the distribution model for intangible and non-scarce goods. Namely, that the model treats non scarce goods as being scarce when they aren't.

It's like someone trying to sell me air and then jumping up and down in anger when I continue to breathe comfortably despite not having paid them.

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 30 Sep 2008, 15:59

You Joke now cart, but people will be paying for air soon enough.

Actually you can actually buy pure oxygen in some boutique bars in NY and LA.

AIR IZ SRS (MONEY) BIZNUS, K?

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 30 Sep 2008, 17:24

Doesn't getting too much oxygen have some effect on you?

Apart from death.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Sep 2008, 17:34

It makes you high.

I'm not kidding.

A normal air mix will consist of ~30% oxygen and almost 70% gas you don't even care about.

At high altitudes the oxygen level can drop to 20% or (I guess) lower, and you'll typically feel short of breath and just generally irritable for some time.

My understanding is that you "get used to it" - which is why some athletes will train at higher altitudes in order to get their bodies used to operating with lower oxygen breaths. When they return to normal altitudes, their bodies receive much more oxygen rich air, and everything seems easier.

So if you went around breathing 100% O2 for a long time, you'd probably find yourself short of breath and suffering from lethargy (moreso than you usually do, you pathetic nerd) and headaches upon returning to the real world.

Interesting (?) aside - the mix of N2O to O2 in the laughing gas that dentists use is usually 30% Oxygen to 70% nitrous. They basically replace all that "placebo air" we usually breathe with sweet, sweet, nos.

Now that's not a public good, and it's well worth paying for.

(Cart doesn't condone using medical grade nitrous oxide without the supervision of a licensed and medically trained professional. Nitrous doesn't kill people, stupid people kill themselves.)

Mews
Legendary

Post by Mews » 30 Sep 2008, 17:49

That's what I thought.

I remember hearing about people buying balloons full of pure oxygen at parties and what not.

I'm sure you can get oxygen poisoning though... maybe.
Having an abundance of platonic relationships reminiscent of my man, Mike Plato.

All that's left is a beautiful hour
And it's ours, ours.

The pale blue dot.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 30 Sep 2008, 18:25

Muse wrote:I'm sure you can get oxygen poisoning though... maybe.
Oxygen toxicity certainly exists, but my understanding is that it relates as much the the pressure of delivery as to the "purity" of the oxygen mix you breathe.

In other words: I don't really know. But I do know that "oxygen bars", where trendy people could hook up to a pure oxygen fix for a few minutes at a time, were reasonably popular a few year ago (at least in clubs who love to be "out there" and "wack!"), and I haven't heard of any major incidents relating to those.

The oxygen that Rico was talking about, usually sold in cans by enterprising young turds, certainly wouldn't deliver more than a few breaths, and that ain't gonna kill you any time soon.

I was going to say that it'd be a "good way to go", and then I realised that pulmonary edema and so forth probably isn't great.