Random News

Anything newsworthy. Or newsworthy for being spectacularly un-newsworthy.
Forum rules
RTFA is assumed - do not reply unless you've read the linked article.
Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 01 Sep 2008, 21:17

mmm

the ISS is not in a geosynchrnous orbit, it is only 350km above sea level as VS 42,164 km for your geosynchronous satellites which i assume your telecommunication satellites are

the lag would actually be increased by firing out to the satelite as opposed to just down to their ground station...

and if they got a satellite parked near them it would only be useful to them so they'd have to pay.... quite a lot
Last edited by Mitra on 01 Sep 2008, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

Cartollomew
I has a monocle (Site Admin)

Post by Cartollomew » 01 Sep 2008, 21:23

The 42,164 km website is down!
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 01 Sep 2008, 21:25

fixt.

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 02 Sep 2008, 11:01

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/4978295

After the whole park bench debacle in HK too.

Do we... do we need to have a chat?

Fine.

Don't stick it where it's not meant to go. Trust me, it's just generally good advice.

BONUS "ELECTION RELATED" MESSAGE:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/newshome/4982533

Newsflash to stupid conservative Christians with no self control:
Wear a condom.
Who do you think you are? If you'd stopped winning, you could have been the Biggest Loser, if you gave up, you could have been a Survivor, if you'd stopped reading Orwell, you could have been on Big Brother!

Philondra
Legendary

Post by Philondra » 02 Sep 2008, 11:14

What on earth were they thinking? There are actual things such as "cock rings" that you can use if you want to make it look bigger. I think I just figured out how to make a lot of money in Malaysia...

And about Sarah Palin's daughter -- I fail to see how that is newsworthy. At all. Taking potshots at the candidate is OK, and maybe even at their spouse too, if they are complete numbnuts. But at their underage children? That's pretty fail.

Dropdeadqt
Legendary

Post by Dropdeadqt » 02 Sep 2008, 11:22

I find it weird that in that picture she is holding what looks to be a 2 or 3 year old in her arms and the big news is she is pregnant at 17.

What about when she was pregnant at 14 or 15? IMO that's better news.

"Palin's teen daughter is pregnant... AGAIN!"

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 02 Sep 2008, 17:32

So... There's going to be a new browser.

Some excellent ideas under the hood.

I don't necessarily agree with some of the UI concepts, but their development philosophy looks rock solid - multi-threaded, multi-process browsing, each tab and visit a separate, jailed entity.

It probably won't mean I'll switch browsers (<3 Opera), but it'll be yet another browser I have installed - and hopefully other browser devs will steal the better build ideas and incorporate them in their own stuff.

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 02 Sep 2008, 17:36

Speaking of browsers... in my PC's death and rebirth my firefox no longer has that auto spell check... it's the exact same version so i'm not sure why and I checked the options but couldn't see anything...

ON TOPIC I would be interested to check that one out.
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 02 Sep 2008, 18:04

Karjalan wrote:Speaking of browsers... in my PC's death and rebirth my firefox no longer has that auto spell check... it's the exact same version so i'm not sure why and I checked the options but couldn't see anything...

ON TOPIC I would be interested to check that one out.
I'm not a FF guru (I use it solely for sites that misbehave in Opera), but I'm reasonably sure it should auto spell check out of the box...

(rummages around the googlenet)

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/12/0 ... ictionary/

Try that.

I'd also quietly suggest you at least try Ubuntu alongside Windows. If it works for your hardware, it'll work damn well, straight out of the box.

If it doesn't, then no harm done, just your time lost.

I've been increasingly using it at home rather than Windows lately, it's just about at the point where I can ditch Windows altogether, except to keep as a rarely used VM.

If nothing else, it'll give you something you can use in between freak outs with your Windows install, or if it fails just as spectacularly, indicates strongly that your hardware is at fault.

Oh hey, look over there - it's something that isn't Cart pushing alternative operating systems.

*whistles*

Karjalan
Legendary

Post by Karjalan » 02 Sep 2008, 19:56

Sweet cheers cart :D

Man I really should abuse google more >.<
"2+2 is 4"
Barney, the Dinosaur

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 03 Sep 2008, 18:13

Chrome is out, and it's pretty damn good (even for a beta).

I'd say they've come close to achieving the goal of having a light, fast, solid browser with minimal wank to distract from the web itself.

It's built on WebKit, and I don't really much like WebKit, but then I don't really much like any of the rendering engines.

(plus one of my sites is broken in it, and I don't know why :-()

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 04 Sep 2008, 14:22

Nokia Ships First Units of N96

That article isn't particularly interesting.

I just wanted an excuse to use the headline:
Fins Finish Finnish Phone

Cartollomew

Post by Cartollomew » 08 Sep 2008, 18:29

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news ... folio_0905

This link isn't interesting for the article's content (as poorly written as it is) so much as the comments.

People genuinely seem unconcerned about privacy - I especially like the guy with no imagination, talking about how 1984 wasn't scary because of its implausibility.

There's a lot of confusion about the capabilities of "computers".

The "boiling frog" analogy is apt - Google is a company motivated like any other company, but using means that are often different to their competitors.

People sing its praises, despite its shortcomings, which are glaring and many, and I'll be honest, their approach does resonate with me.

I love the innovations they make, the solid engineering of their products, the honesty of keeping every-fucking-thing in beta (all software is always beta, it's a term poorly applied to our industry).

They will spy on you. It's how they make money. They reserve the right to sell others the information they obtain by spying on you.

They've done it before, in India and China, when the respective governments have asked them to.

So here's my take:
Google don't exist as a charity, or free ride. Their stuff is solid and often ahead of the pack, and should therefore be used.
But always remember that whatever you push onto the internets - flikr/photobucket, myspace/facebook, gmail, even search - this is not exclusively yours. If you want to keep it yours, keep it out of the tubes.

Unless you're a hot girl, aged 18-29. In that case, photobucket is totally secure, and you should store all your photos there.

It's the law.

Mitra
Legendary

Post by Mitra » 09 Sep 2008, 11:32

I'm intrigued by your ramblings and would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Johnnyrico
Legendary

Post by Johnnyrico » 09 Sep 2008, 11:50

I work for news aka the australian

:/